Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
imasweetskunk

your favorite effect...

My favorite effect is the fade.

Use them correctly and together creates a cascading smooth feel that will blow your visitors away.

I never use twinkle and I only use "shimmer" for .20 seconds on my arches in Music Box Dancer.

I like fades... even in chases and such.. and esp on my roof lights to make them appear to cascade..

I do miss being able to set a twinkle or shimmer rate like I could do in AL...

I also think set intensity is a nice feature.. where you can leave lights on dim all the time and then hit them in the sequence at various times.....

sequencing is an ever learning expeireince.. I look at my 06 videos (my first year animation) and then watch a vid of my 09 and think WOW look at the difference...

then I look at richardH display and look at my 09 video and go WOW I want to grow up and sequence like him someday!

-Christopher

I find fading a shimmer the be the most unexpected effect in the show.

Works great on halloween too, it's almost like a "thunder fade" if that makes any sense to anyone.

Works best with LEDs that turn on/off faster for a full strobe effect.

We use regular shimmers at half and full intensity in Amazing Grace in the transition from slow to fast - they do a great job of mimicking the fast snare drum "roll", which regular on-off commands can't keep up with.

i start my show fri. and was hoping shimmer was the answer!

eldorado...i was noticing on my pre programmed AL shows that the shimmer was more intense or quick at times hopefully lsp adds that feature!

this is my first year programming and am trying to use all the effects but sometimes it's hard to picture... Richard H.'s programming is top notch by the way!

if i'm using led's how fast do you think i can turn on and off a ch. without it looking bad? 4 to 8 times a second? thanks!

I have a couple of songs with a long fade that changes from red to blue to green every .05 for the lenth of the fade. It gives it a nice shimmering/strobelike effect

I have a couple of songs with a long fade that changes from red to blue to green every .05 for the lenth of the fade. It gives it a nice shimmering/strobelike effect

.05..... dang that's quick- thanks!

Can anyone tell me where to get the strobes I see on so many of your display's ?? Thanks much :confused:

Christmas Light show is where I get mine. CDI and Action lighting also carry them.

SPaschall

Thanks much ! Do you use the ones that blink 4 times a second or once a second. Many thanks again !! :D

I personally use the faster ones but I have a few of the slower ones scattered around to make the strobes look more random. When you add them to your display don't try to fade them or try to ramp them up. Use full intensity and just turn them on,the strobe will do the rest.

SPaschall

also I still find that the regular xenon strobes are much brighter than the LED strobes... I also like the camera flash color of the xenon better than the LED white strobes too..

-Christopher

I love fades, but I found a new effect this year while programming: the pop fade. I know Animated Lighting has it, but I never knew what it was until I began fading some things on with a definite beat. I went from 50%-100% intensity in like .05 or .10 seconds, and it creates a smooth beat. I know, weird as it sounds, it looks cool.

Just curious, is that exactly what AL does?

I love fades, but I found a new effect this year while programming: the pop fade. I know Animated Lighting has it, but I never knew what it was until I began fading some things on with a definite beat. I went from 50%-100% intensity in like .05 or .10 seconds, and it creates a smooth beat. I know, weird as it sounds, it looks cool.

Just curious, is that exactly what AL does?

AL's Pop-Fade takes a cell and pops it on at the intensity that you select then it fades at the rate that you select. if that makes sense. :D

SPaschall

I use LOR, but I am sure AL has about the same options. I would recommend a constant on for strobes. Now for the other parts of the display (Arches, megatree, and other sections) a good spinning or leaping effect. Color changes are great! And don't forget about light shooter poles.

A really good effect that would catch someone's eye :eek: would be a constant on and have a channel off going up and down. This would be great for arches or a megatree.:D

Guest csx5861

I use everything however I love the using shimmer on a really high note in a song.

Since I don't have LOR {yet}, I have a question about shimmer vs twinkle, on the graphic display (when you draw something to show what the light(s) is/are doing during the sequence), I have used both twinkle and shimmer, but they both look like the same thing in the LOR software {demo version currently}. What is the real difference between twinkle and shimmer? Is this only really visible on an actual strand of lights to see how this effect really works and stands out?

Just trying to figure out the main difference between what a shimmer looks like and a twinkle, which I know is more or less an on/off type of effect. But the display makes both these effects look identical to me. Am I doing something wrong to make these effects look alike? What am I missing???

Thanks,

Clay in Orlando, FL

Twinkle is turning a channel on and off at random, though usually for less than a second at a time. Setting lots of channels to twinkle is pretty much a "chaos" effect.

Shimmer turns a channel on and off as fast as possible, at a constant rate.

With shimmer on a set of regular minis the lights seem to flicker.. On LEDs, which react faster and don't have a "warm up" and "cool down" time, it's pretty much a strobe effect.

I'd love a shimmer effect we could set the speed of, because sometimes I want a fast on-off effect, but not as fast as the default shimmer, but I don't want to have to create a lot of traffic on the LOR network sending hundreds of commands in less than a second.

Guest csx5861

Twinkle is turning a channel on and off at random, though usually for less than a second at a time. Setting lots of channels to twinkle is pretty much a "chaos" effect.

Shimmer turns a channel on and off as fast as possible, at a constant rate.

With shimmer on a set of regular minis the lights seem to flicker.. On LEDs, which react faster and don't have a "warm up" and "cool down" time, it's pretty much a strobe effect.

I'd love a shimmer effect we could set the speed of, because sometimes I want a fast on-off effect, but not as fast as the default shimmer, but I don't want to have to create a lot of traffic on the LOR network sending hundreds of commands in less than a second.

Okay I want to be sure I am understanding this difference, so if I have say 2 channels on LOR and set both to twinkle, the strings on both channels may not or will not flash in unison, but because it is a random effect, they may flash off/on independantly of each other?

If that's true, then wouldn't the same thing happen using shimmer to strobe more than 1 channel?

Maybe I'm just confused, but some of what I read here makes no real sense to me when it comes to synchronizing lights and sounds/music.

I see all these additons of timings, etc. and I just can't seem to understand all these different timing times in the audio.

Maybe I'll be able to understand this more when I am finally able to get my LOR system and start playing around with it, but currently, a lot of what I'm reading, I dare say, does tend to have me quite puzzled, not to say, also quite perplexed.

Clay in Orlando, FL

Yes, Twinkle is random, and each channel is independent in it's randomness. Nothing is in synch, and when it is, it's because the randomness just happened that way.

Shimmer is so fast that I'm not sure independent-ness matters much. I've noted that whenever I set a lot of channels to shimmer at they same time, they seem in synch. I have not tried delaying the command being sent to some channels just to see if they'd be out of sync.

We have 9 trees in a line as part of our display, 4 on one controller, 5 on another, simply because that is where we had the channels available to put them.

When we set them all to shimmer at the same time they are all in synch enough that I don't think anyone can tell. Occasionally I've noticed a *very* slight difference between the 5 on the left and 4 on the right, but really, no one but me would notice and I only do so because I'm actually looking for it.