Arches and Music Box Dancer

My comparitively small 16 channel display is up and running, but I'm already thinking about next year. I will be adding 16 more channels next year to control a pair of leaping arches.

Music Box Dancer (the version Holdman uses) will be part of my display next year. I've seen alot of MBD videos this year (MBD is the Wizards in Winter of 2009!), and was wondering how many channels per arch lends itself to the timing of MBD.

im using 8 on my arches and it looks good... I have 10 arches surrounding my yard and use 16 channels.. 8 on every other arch and it looks good... I dont find it necessary to have 8 separate for every single arch..

-Christopher

Got a video of that? I've considered doing that with four or six arches, but not sure exactly what kind of effects I could create.

here is my MBD video using the holdman edit of the shortened song...

I may actually use the whole song next year.. or may do a custom mix with the schwede and original frank mills along with ray conniff vocal version of the song...

I figured that I had seen your video somewhere before as I've been watching a lot of MBD videos to get ideas. Gotta say that I spent more time watching your roof than your arches! That is awesome!

the funny thing about the roof is that when i was making another sequence that I didnt even use this year I screwed up... I cut and pasted parts of my "mega tree" sequence into the roof by accident and when i watched it i was Like wow... so i started playing more with the roof...

funny how sometimes an accident ends up being a really neat part of the show....

-Christopher

• 4 weeks later...

EB,

Ooops, 'just asked this on your YT page, but if you're here.. what lights did you use for the lawn/grass areas behind the arches (the long rectangles)? Net lights or single strings? The fill-in of it behind the arches looks good.. 2010 will be my second year using LOR, I'm adding arches for the front yard, not sure how many now as they really seem to be (and everyone agrees) they eat up channels quickly unless paralleled..

the yard "squares" in my show are a 5x5 frame of PVC pie and then i used regular 100 light sets and put 400 lights of each color red/green/blue/white kind of making a weave..(each color originated from a 90 degree side) and then I set them up on 3 inch standoffs so the lights arent on the ground..... each square uses 4 channels and there are 8 squares..

the arches are 8 channels a piece.. i did this because most music is 4/4 time.. although there is something to be said for a 9 channel arch if using 3/4 time songs...

I used 16 channels for all my arches.. that way I can chase from one arch to the other ansd then back again.. I didnt see the need for 80 channels so my 10 arches could each be on their own....

-Christopher

Thanks EB.. ok, I think I got it.. it's 5x5 pvc box with lights woven like (square) lattice.. you have each color along each leg? Yeah, if you have pix that would be terrific.. My lawn's abt 45x50, I just laid down 10 strings of 300ct whites on the ground (it's pretty dry out here in Phoenix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqQfBvQPN4 but with large arches and even some mini-arches between the canes planned for 2010.. what you've got is a great way to start for me. Thanks!

here are a few Pics I have from when i was experimenting / building the squares...

I put them up on much taller legs when im building them as it is easier to wrap the lights..

outdoors they are on 3" legs..

excuse the mess in the outdoor pic.. that pic was actually taken right after a wind storm trashed the display.... the thing the pics dont show very well is the fact there is and needs to be a center leg... I also tie wrapped the lights every so often to keep them from moving around as I move the units around and to storm them...

I glued the pipes together but did not glue the legs on that way I can remove the legs to easier store the units... they were an experiment for 2009 and in my opinion successful.. right now they are buried under the snow so I dont have any idea how they held up until the snow melts and I get them inside.. for 2010 I may go to 4" or 5" legs for the very reason of snow...I also may make the legs so they tilt up just slightly for a little better visibility at car-level height.. I dont wantto obstruct view of the shrubs or gardens of light but also might like a slight tilt...

-Christopher

post-2887-129571190412_thumb.jpg

post-2887-129571190429_thumb.jpg

post-2887-12957119044_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...