DSL going out from show?

Ok, this sounds crazy ... but it seems that my DSL (internet from Qwest) goes out every night, after the show turns on.

And it won't resume working again till I both:

(a) reboot the DSL model and

(B) turn off the light-o-rama show completely.

Why would this be happening?!

But once I do (a) and (B), the internet comes back to life within 1-2 minutes every time.

I'm not using any phone lines at all ... only CAT6 between the controllers.

And this wasn't happening last year either.

:eek::eek::eek:

Mine too. The odd part is I have 52 controllers, and during the show the DSL is intermittent. After the show, I turn on motion lights on a total of four channels (full on), and my DSL dies completely.

I posted this on the LOR board awhile back and really got no advice. A DSL tech on there claims that my DSL wire must be bad (nicked or otherwise compromised), but it is actually a new wire drop.

So I guess I'm saying 'Welcome to the club.....'

Wow,

This is astonishing to hear that I'm not only alone, but so many others have experienced the same or similar.

I would say that the only cords that would even be in close contact to the DSL (phone) line are the power lines (dedicated circuits) I ran through the basement crawlspace to feed some new 20A outlets. These are sometimes coupled with other power lines (and perhaps some RG7 and cat5) as well ... my guess is thats where the phone line and power lines do run side by side, or in close proximity for a short distance.

So I guess one theory could be that the power surging through those lines, could cause interference on the phone line, to the extend that I can't get internet/DSL signal during the show.

I have tried it with just a handful of static items running, and the internet still works then. But most of those are LED(s).

That's not it. My worst time is when the show is not 'running', but in security mode, where I turn on four motion sensing lights and the landscape lighting. The landscape lights are about 250 watts on two channels. This kills DSL completely. The show running just makes DSL flaky.

taybrynn, also find out where your phone line runs into your house from the pole or underground. See if any items of your display are on top of it or near it in the yard.

That's not it. My worst time is when the show is not 'running', but in security mode, where I turn on four motion sensing lights and the landscape lighting. The landscape lights are about 250 watts on two channels. This kills DSL completely. The show running just makes DSL flaky.

Yours may be a different issue with the power to those landscape lights, but the original poster sounds like they are experiencing the same issue as I describe and have on my DSL.

I think the person posting about EM is correct. I'm not electronics guru. However if I am not mistaken triacs are (electrically) noisy. Even when you have a channel at full ON, it is still latching on/off 120 times a second. (or is it 120 on, and 120 off for a total of 240?)

Switching current on a line 120 times a second is going to produce a LOT of noise if it is not filtered properly (and I don't remember seeing any kind of filtering on any controller, LOR/AL/Home Brew).

I re-read my post, and it sounds like I'm disagreeing with the EM reason. I meant to say that the dimming/fast changing effects of the show weren't the problem, but rather using the LOR controllers with a larger load.

I absolutely believe that EM is the problem. And I fully agree that since LOR units are simple (not reverse phase) dimmers, they create noise even in a full-on situation. The larger the load, the higher the amplitude of the EM noise.

When I was trying to fix my situation, I replaced the one box that was used to power motion sensing lights, and my DSL situation went away. However, that controller had other problems of it's own (like just deciding to flash lights on it's own!), so I had to put back the 'noisy' box. I'm stuck with it for the remainder of this season.

Now I'm starting to wonder if this might actually be a good use for those ferrite bead chokes? Put them on the two power cords of the LOR unit, and I wonder what will happen. Hmmmmm.

Sure beats trying to use them for FM transmitter hum (which is virtually useless).

I'd try this: during the day, turn on each of your controllers, one by one, to 'all on'. Check your DSL after each one. Once you get a controller that kills your DSL, put the ferrite beads on that unit, and see if your problem improves. I'm going to try this myself, and I'll let you know what I find.

I also wonder if X10 type filters may help. I know they are for stopping X10 signal eaters, but they may also clamp the noise coming back out of the LOR box.

The good news is they are simple: plug em in, then plug the controller into it. The bad news is that (I think) they are only rated to 5A.

My theory: Your phone/DSL line is not properly grounded or has poor quality electrical connections in your house, in your MPOE, or in the distribution pedestal.

Lighting controllers do throw off a mess of radio frequency noise, but a properly grounded phone line with good solid connections should be able to weather it. I've got one of the oldest DSL lines in the area (even in the country, I suspect), and I've never had any problems, so it's not as simple as "light controllers always mess up DSL" - there's something about your situation that's compromising the signal quality of the DSL more than it ought to.

I'm not sure but I have had a thermostat for an electric floor heating system and two 12v walwarts for my CCTV cameras go bad recently. I'm convinced that the fluctuation in power is not good on my electronics.

I had the same sorta problem one year when i used to have Dial-Up... If the lights were on

I couldn't connect (or would get disconnected very quickly). Part of the problem was

caused by a single set of mini lights running close to the phone line....moving that set

helped enough that i was able to get by. (but picking up the phone you could still hear

EM noise caused by the lights in general (the same noise was also noticeable on

stereos and some other random electric devices that wouldn't normally make sound))

Some things to check:

Are any of your controllers plugged into the same circuit as your DSL Modem?

Do the lights dim your entire house when flashing? (i have this problem)

Plug a set of mini's (or a lamp with a 'normal' bulb) into the DSL circuit and see if it

flickers/dims when the display is on...if it does that may be the problem (if you have a small

portable radio, try that on the same circuit and see if you can hear any sorta background

'noise' directly related to the display)

Thanks, great suggestions!

It could be that the DSL modem is on the same circuit, but I didn't think that was the case.

The show knocked it out again tonight ... and even after the show is over, I have to go manually power cycle the DSL modem to get it back to working again.

I'm pretty sure the culprit is the mega tree.

I've had it keep working with all other stuff, but when the megatree starts running, thats when it goes out.

and even after the show is over, I have to go manually power ycle the DSL modem to get it back to working again.

I have to do the same now and then. Usually when there's one of those little quick power

glitches where it just sorta flickers (or goes off & instantly back on) I'll be making a trip to

the basement to reset the DSL modem and router.

When it comes to 'display time' i have to unplug the familyroom TV/stereo from that room's

circuit and plug it into another....because the familyroom is on the same as an outside plug

used for lights. Even with a surge protector it caused problems for the electronics to the

point i'd be afraid of damage (but i don't think surge protectors do anything for voltage

drops which was the problem there.) I don't really like the fact that even the other circuit

i use is still noticeably dimmed even though it has no display lights and very little load in

general...but everything seems to work fine

Just a few thoughts. Buy a small UPS and install it before the DSL and router. If you are close to the limit of distance between the phone companies equipment and your DSL modem. The signal may already be weak and it wont take much noise to mask the signal in the modem.

I agree with the hive mind that need to keep all cords and strings away from the phone lines as much as possible. To not put a controller on the same circuit as the DSL modem or router.

All are good ideas but I can put mine totally on UPS backup and still kicks out.

I have narrowed it down to controllers 12, 13, & 14 on mega-tree four.

I'm going to to rework a few things to see if the problem will go away.

Shoot... I can't even live stream this year for that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem for awhile now, and my problem was especially bad after the show runs, when I use only 4 channels to turn on some motion detecting lights and landscape lights full on. BUT, today I made an interesting discovery by accident.

Background: I've had some weird flickering problems with my display at times that just seemed very weird. I've been live with a combination of 4.0.1 and 4.3.0 firmware boxes, and today I decided to bring them all up to the 4.3.0 level. This involved updating 40 different 1602 boxes, including the two boxes that drive the security/landscape lighting.

Tonight, after the show, my DSL works! It's not perfect, as streaming video is very flaky, but it always was completely dead at this time. It actually seems quite perky.

So all I did was upgrade my 4.0.1 firmware boxes, and have great improvement.

This may not apply to you guys, but if so, you might give it a shot.