Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Our Walmart has very few left, the local Menards is out of all minis except purple and target has very few boxes of colored minis left. Didn't see stick trees anywhere this year. Wish I would have bought more last year when I was getting them for 75% off and they all had more then I wanted. Seems none of the stores ordered hardly any this year. Kind of a bummer.

The Walmart in Camby and the Target in Avon (Indiana) are almost completely out of minis. The selection is slightly better at Target, but its still slim!

Our walmarts are very low too.The LED C4 teardrop lights are gone at all 3 walmarts here.I guess my mega tree won't go higher next year :(.

Got lucky & found 6 sets of green LED minis though WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

Very sad to say the same things is going on around here. I guess we are all going to have to find someone on the web to buy lights from throughout the year. I was hoping to pick up another 25-30 thousand more this year. Over the past few years I have sold ALOT of what I had saved back and this year almost everything I have is up. Yeah going to have alot of extra time after the holidays since I will not be running from store to store:(

Edited by Steven Singleton Jr.

I just want to CRY !!!! I have been saving all year for the day after Christmas sales and there are not going to be any THE GRINCH has came to all the stores here in Lexington Ky Lowes no good Hd no good Wal mart no good Sams no good Garden Ridge no good Rite aid no good Wallgreens no good CVS no good Meijers no good Target no good Rite Aid no good . So I my say that all of us will be ordering LIGHTS on line this up coming year if we want to expand and we all do !!! I am so glad that I bought 8 flats of mullti L.E.D. minis when Wal mart first put them out this year...If any body has any good leads please tell us we are starving for LIGHTS !!!!!!!!!:mad:

Do you think it would help if everyone that wanted more lights but found the shelves empty would stop at the customer service desk and let the store management know? Maybe that would influence their decision to order more next season if the management heard it over and over again?

I know it takes time and I'm guilty of running in and out of the store without saying anything.

Just a thought.

Joe

Do you think it would help if everyone that wanted more lights but found the shelves empty would stop at the customer service desk and let the store management know? Maybe that would influence their decision to order more next season if the management heard it over and over again?

I know it takes time and I'm guilty of running in and out of the store without saying anything.

Just a thought.

Joe

yeah i like this idea, maybe an email to the main headquaters would suffice and save on gas..

Rumor has it (from a manager of WalMart) that the reason for the lower number of incandescent lights this year is to push more people into going LED which has a higher profit margin. Can't help but to think everyone is on the same bandwagon.

I'm just wondering if this isn't the start of the end of incandescent christmas lights as we know it. Granted they'll never really go away but with the end of the incandescent light bulbs (and the mandatory phase out starting in 2012), it has me wondering.

i would like to add to this, i talked with some store managers and they have all said, due to the economy they ordered less this year, and with the warm weather that we had in november everyone bought lights this year. it is very sad, but with the switch to LED i will buy all mine online this year since i already have my 2010 plan in place.(roughly). :)

ive heard the same thing.. last year they all over-bought.. plus in the midwest last year it was awful cold and rainy november,. i didnt do a light display in 2008 but even if i had wanted to i wouldve been working in the cold dark rain a lot of the time...

this year in ohio we had 4 weekends in november over 60 degrees and sunny... I bought all the lights i needed this year in september and october when they first came out.. I noticed at most of the lowes stores this year their shelves look very stocked.. however noted there were very few extra cases of lights on the top of the shelves like had been in previous years... same at walmart as well....

they got burned last year by over-buying and the weather...

also another thing is that many people I talked to last year were so ver yscared about stock market , economy etc that they didnt buy presents or decorations... this year at least a couple families i talked said how pleasant there christmas still was last year without extravagant presents that it was still very enjoyable..

so they werent so scared this year but still werent going to buy lots of presents however they were going to decorate their houses together as families... I find lots more lights and decorations up this year than ive seen in several years...

possibly another reason for the bare shelves..

-Christopher

LOL, and I didnt check lowes this year, as LAST year, IMO they had nothing. Seems to have reversed this year a bit, although I think the last 2 posters hit it more, I think they got burned, big time on lights last year. Menard in lancaster, ohio I swear just unboxed what they put away last year. Maybe a few new things, but very, very, very little as I was still picking thru things as they were boxing them up so I remember what they had :)

I ckecked a walmart and lowes yesterday and they both had a good amount of minis left mainly claer ones. But HomeDepot had nothing but icicles.

Last year, both Wal-marts near here were drowning in lights after 12/25. They moved all of the Christmas inventory to a single store that was still selling lights at 75% off three weeks later.

It looks as though Wal-Mart learned a lesson.

Our local Walmart ran out of LEDs more than a week ago.

Last night I went to pick up some clear on white white minis and couldn't find any. They were down to about a half-dozen boxes of 100ct minis -- mostly the colored on white wire.

I fully expect they thought the recession was going to take a big bite out of light sales. I'm not sure why they thought that. Taxes and Christmas Lights are life constants.

I don't think the November weather was a factor. I remember looking at the stockpile in early November and thinking that it was no where near the quantities they had in previous years.

Lights have to be loss leaders. Enticing you into the store to buy things that actually generate profits. I don't think they care one way or the other if they have surplus after Christmas as long as you come to the store. Of course they hate us who fill up three shopping carts with just lights :)

Nope, somebody in HQ (not just Walmarts), mispredicted this year's demand big time.

I don't think the November weather was a factor. I remember looking at the stockpile in early November and thinking that it was no where near the quantities they had in previous years.

Ditto

When Wal-Mart put out their lights, there were very few. Over a week ago the only thing they had as far as incandescents go was about 10 boxes of blue on green wire.

And screwed those of us that rely on after-christmas sales to get most of our lights.

I don't know if I would say that. I am sure they were selling them pretty much at cost anyway and they were loosing money when selling them at deep discounts after christmas just to get rid of them.

Who knows if they are trying to push everybody to LEDs or if they will have a lot more incandescents next year.

I have to admit though, all the stores seemed to stock very low on incandescents this year.

Its a conspiracy!

Edited by RichardH

I've also noticed - in a "down" economy, people do not travel as much, therefore they are home for the holidays, and will decorate their house. I have noticed many more people in my neighborhood have decorated this year.