I'm new to all of this and bought a Mr. Christmas. It runs fine and looks pretty good for a rookie.

Question: Can I open up the Mr. Chrismas and by pass its music selection by hooking a plug in for a MP3 player? I just hate the sound of the music that comes with the Mr. Chrismas. And it is too low anyway.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Welcome to PC! There's a wealth of information on these forums reguarding the Mr. Christmas (known by many as the LASOC (lights and sounds of christmas)

As to your question. no. You can't modify one that way... Though there IS a member that hacked one and used it with his computer with LOR or something similar. But I don't know all the details.

Use the "search" feature, and you will be reading well into the night.

Nope, sorry but you got what you got. There are other mods you can do to the box to make it better. Search the boards and you will plenty of info. You will also find plenty of help if you need it. Try these:

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=26916&page=2

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=23938

Chris

• 10 months later...

Whoa! There's some crafty folks here. My first step is to simply USE the LASOC and see how it goes this/next year. Beyond that...I was planning to switch to LOR and ditch the LASOC once my display grew big enough. (baby steps) I had no idea the LASOC could be modified like that. Kinda makes me wonder now. :)

The Mr. Christmas can handle up to 12 amps before you blow the fuse. How may lights that is depends on the kind and type of lights you use. If you push 12 amps be sure the channels are split as evenly as possible.

If it doesn't take the load you can do like I did and add contactors, and relay packs so it will take 60 amps, but friends and family will look at you funny.

Whoa! There's some crafty folks here. My first step is to simply USE the LASOC and see how it goes this/next year. Beyond that...I was planning to switch to LOR and ditch the LASOC once my display grew big enough. (baby steps) I had no idea the LASOC could be modified like that. Kinda makes me wonder now. :)

I think most here will recommend that when you feel you've "outgrown" the LASOC, to simply sell it and move on to one of the other, expandable technologies. There are ways to hack the LASOC but in my opinion it's a lot of work a very little gain, when you can buy a 16-channel LOR-PD board for around $100 or a 24-channel DIY board for even cheaper.