Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest csx5861

Anyone else into "Comedy Christmas Music?"

Guest csx5861

I've got a wide assortment of comedy Christmas Songs, but my 3 all time favorites are these: "Parking Spaces". "Wreck the Malls", and "Grandma's Killer Fruitcake" these are definitively my three favorites! Don't know who did the first two, I found them years ago on the internet, but the last one is by Dr. Elmo, but I forget what CD it's on, got it around here in my hundreds, maybe thousands (I lost count a long time ago! LOL) of CD's. But I tend to covert all my CD to MP3 so I can use them in other things and then pack away the CD's in a storage crate.

BTW: if you want to hear Parking Spaces or Grandma's Killer Fruitcake, here is where you can watch a video of my cat singing each one of them. If you have young children they will probably enjoy these as well, especially since I used a photo of my cat and animated it to make it look like he's singing them. ;)

Enjoy the video tunes!

Parking Spaces by ?: http://community2.myfoxorlando.com/_...194/72667.html

Grandm'a Killer Fruitcake by Dr. Elmo: http://community2.myfoxorlando.com/_...103/72667.html

Clay

BTW: Thanks again rangebob for the title (humbugs), artist and CD title, we went out to Target and got the Mannheim Steamroller "Christmasville" CD Sunday night (12.13.09) for 9.99!

Edited by csx5861

Those first two songs are by Bob Rivers. He has a bunch of them.

I like "All you need is Elves," "Taking care of christmas" " Yellow Snow" and "Excuse me, I've got gifts to buy"

YOu can listen to his songs online by going to:

http://www.bobrivers.com and click on the Twisted Christmas Radio Link.

then click on the songs and they will play.

You'll have a good laugh.

I have a couple of his Christmas albums.

Bob Rivers rules.

I'm currently using "Toy Sack" and "Jesus Birthday" by Rivers, along with Foxworthy's "12 Redneck Days" and Bill Engvall's "Fruitcake Makes Me Puke"

I also sequenced "Decorations" by Rivers but I'm not using it due to show length. Next Year for sure.

I wanted to sequence "Who Put the Stump" but my wife threatened me...

Same with "Santa Claus is Fooling Around":eek:

It's not her fault though. She doesn't realize that civilizing me is a lost cause. :D

We use Bob Rivers' Manger 6 ad. Video will be up in the next few days, though it's clearly one of our more boring sequences (there isn't too much we can do with it)

Bob Rivers is THE BEST!

My older brother still blames me for ruining many Christmas classics for him. He can't get the lyrics from "Walking 'round in Women's Underwear" out of his head whenever he hears "Winter Wonderland". I love tormenting him like that! :giggle:

Anyhow, for those who haven't heard all of Bob River's stuff, you can listen to them on his web site (which even has the lyrics). ENJOY!:)

http://www.bobrivers.com/#v0c7

I use to listen to Dr. Demento all the time when I was a young teenager and I use to look forward to all the Christmas songs they would play. One that I always remember and has a catchy tune is

I Found The Brains Of Santa Claus

You can listen to a sample of it here

http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=342

I am sure it would not go over very well is the display though. :)

I use to listen to Dr. Demento all the time when I was a young teenager and I use to look forward to all the Christmas songs they would play. One that I always remember and has a catchy tune is

I Found The Brains Of Santa Claus

You can listen to a sample of it here

http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=342

I am sure it would not go over very well is the display though. :)

Lol, yeah that song might be devastating to some kids if you used it in a display.

only 3 times a week I swap out the normal Rudolph song with this one:

I still love it!!!!!

Then again I think I was the only person that appreciated what Comedy Central did in the Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade in 2008!