• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is our first year in a new location, but we're on a very busy street so...

We see steady traffic on Fridays & Saturdays, but the week has been slow. I think it'll pick up as we get a little closer to Christmas.

Last night I noticed 5 cars at one time watching the show, and fortunately we have a church across the street from our house where traffic can easily stop and watch without blocking the road.

Now if I could just keep the GFIs from tripping when the ground is wet, I'll be a happy camper!

300 cars a night. People have been calling the police so I took the show from 15min down to 4 min. That seems to have helped tonight. I have a voice over then a 2 min filler song with no blinky. People seem to start to clear out for the next 8 or 9 cars to fill up the front of the house. Glad to see everyone is doing good!:) O well time to stare out the window and keep an eye on the donation box.

Jason

Last night (Saturday), 945 cars. We installed a vehicle counter this year so we could get a good idea of volume breakdown throughout the evening. That way we know when we have to be outside to receive donations, or the traffic will back up too quickly if people have to get out of their cars.

Traffic has increased this weekend to 5 or 6 an hour (we are tucked deep in a subdivision). A news crew will be here tomorrow night, so I expect more traffic by late this next week. The rain has had no effect.

My show is 31:34.9 minutes long with voice-overs every other song. We really can't handle more than a couple cars at a time and definitely not lined up.

This past Friday night we had over 400, Saturday we had about 150-200, then tonight we had about 400 again. Usually around 14 cars at a time. Display will be in the local news paper Thursday, so expecting quite a bit more traffic next weekend.

I use this one, with one pressure tube:

http://www.gulfcoast-solutions.com/shopcart/agora.cgi?product=Traffic&p_id=3002&xm=on&ppinc=T2a

It's extremely simple to use. Once you power it up, the count is zero, and it just counts forever until the battery runs out. The picture makes you think it's really big, but it's really a pretty small unit.

Our traffic flows in one end of the driveway and out the other, so it's easy for us to use one of these.

4-6 cars gathered 5 minutes before show time (4:30 - 5:00 pre show message and static lights on house trim seem to be doing that), it varies from 4 - 13 cars continuously throughout the night, 1-3 cars left at closing (10:00)

I have no idea on nightly totals... It would be nearly impossible to keep track! This past weekend was the most yet, and I'm actually hoping that traffic dosn't get much worse. It looks like about a dozen vehicles can "fit" out there where they all can see the display and aren't parked right in front of it. At least that's my count. Any time I look out now theres anywhere between one and 12 out there. I'd say 3 to 4 at a time is a pretty average number, and that's full time between 6 and 10:30 or so. I actually ran the show till 11:00 friday and saturday nights because of demand.

If I do the same show, or better (of course it will be improved) next year I'm already thinking I'd better add pauses between the shows and voice-overs to clear out the traffic... Right now I just use the mini-director and the "show" of 5 songs just runs in a continual loop.

I had been getting no more that a car or two at time maybe 20 stops per night. Then I was lucky the local paper used my picture of my house in the article about lights in Lincoln Sat. morning and stops have increased a lot may have 2 or 3 cars at a time with 50 or 60 plus on the weekend nights but the weather was not so nice last night maybe it will get a little better the rest of the week.

Here is a copy of the online article.

http://www.journalstar.com/lifestyles/article_c7384db6-e5cc-11de-98e2-001cc4c03286.html

Gary

I'm seeing Friday and Saturday nights as the most popular. Saturday in particular.

Mostly seeing 1-2, sometimes 3 cars at a time. Fairly consistent flow of cars between 5:30 and 9 pm ... and sometimes no cars at all.

This is more cars than I saw in my first year (2008), at this same point.

I know in 2008, that the real rush was the week before Christmas and then a little after surge around new years.

20 to 40 per night until this past Saturday when the local paper printed the story they interviewed me for the day of out big storm last week. Easily 250 cars Saturday with 10 to 15 parked most of the night. Then well over a hundred Sunday with 2 to 5 just about anytime. Plus one of the Green Bay TV stations was down Saturday night and shot 3 hours of footage and interviews for a feature they are airing the Sunday after Christmas, during both the Morning Show and evening news. Might get crazy that last week and should give next year a great boost !!

Lenny

Guest Lightzilla

I do not pay attention to how many cars are out there, but if you need a number , and when I do look outside I see a whopping 3 cars every night, but that is what I see (except this past Saturday night and Sunday night) when we had record breaking temperatures here in Edmonton with night times lows of (-46.1c) or (-50.9F) but my family sees some cars too. So maybe 5 or 6 cars a night

On Saturday night we were the coldest spot in the entire world (official) which includes the poles, and last night we were the coldest place in North America (official) but were the second coldest spot in the world, only Dzlinda, Siberia was colder at (-48c) or (-54F).

So I had one car that I saw during these two cold days with my eyes, not sure if the family saw any.

I am happy with or without cars stopping, I mean they look each time they go home so that is good for me.

Edited by Lightzilla

Traffic has been getting quite hectic for me - I'm seeing on average 150 cars/night.

This past Saturday was insane - not sure on the exact count since I was out and about, but video from the night looked quite buzy!

Of course... now it looks like I'm going to have some news coverage!

I really do not care how many cars are out there, but if you need a number I see a whopping 3 cars every night, but that is what I see (except this past Saturday night and Sunday night) when we had record breaking temperatures here in Edmonton with night times lows of (-46.1c) or (-50.9F) but my family sees some cars too. So maybe 5 or 6 cars a night

On Saturday night we were the coldest spot in the entire world (official) which includes the poles, and last night were were the coldest place in North America (official) but were the second coldest spot in the world, only Dzlinda, Siberia was colder at (-48c) or (-54F).

So I had one car that I saw during these two cold days with my eyes, not sure if the family saw any.

I am happy with your without cars stopping, I mean they look each time they go home so that is good for me.

You get my vote for most dedicated Christmas light enthusiast! I can't possibly imagine setting up lights in your weather. Wow!

Guest Lightzilla

You get my vote for most dedicated Christmas light enthusiast! I can't possibly imagine setting up lights in your weather. Wow!

To be honest with you, I cannot possibly imagine myself setting up lights in this weather either.

It was warm again this past November just like the November of 2008 setup. Otherwise I have set up the display in (2F) temps, but I do not see me doing setup in these temps myself.

I complain if it is cold out side and I complain when it is 80F outside.....but when it finally rained in Alberta in late summer of this year, after an awful drought, we partied in Alberta.