Outdoing the Joneses

We have a neighbor who always buys a big tree for their front yard each Christmas season. I'm talking 20' or higher here. We usually talk some smack with them about how theirs is 'only a little bit smaller than the one we have coming tomorrow' but we don't mean anything seriously.

This year, in addition to the usual static white lights on all the bushes, we've added 5 "mini"-trees. They're about 4 feet tall, made from the larger-sized tomato cages (all Home Depot had) with the largest ring removed so they could just be staked into the ground as-is. Each has Red, White, and Green for a total of 15 channels.

Upon seeing a generic animation (no FM transmitter yet for this year), they called and left this message.

It's on.

We have a neighbor who always buys a big tree for their front yard each Christmas season. I'm talking 20' or higher here. We usually talk some smack with them about how theirs is 'only a little bit smaller than the one we have coming tomorrow' but we don't mean anything seriously.

This year, in addition to the usual static white lights on all the bushes, we've added 5 "mini"-trees. They're about 4 feet tall, made from the larger-sized tomato cages (all Home Depot had) with the largest ring removed so they could just be staked into the ground as-is. Each has Red, White, and Green for a total of 15 channels.

Upon seeing a generic animation (no FM transmitter yet for this year), they called and left this message.

It's on.

What the heck? If that lady is for real, I'd be careful. It sounds like they are waaaay to emotionally invested in their having the biggest tree around. I'd focus on security.

You might want to rethink the staking the mini tree thing. It seems that metal to ground contact on mini trees is a leading cause of GFI trips.

Edited by Entropy
Link worked after all.

I couldn't tell from the voice mail message whether she was joking around or not. You would know her better.

Sometimes competition like that can be fun and sometimes it can ruin neighborly relations. I hope this is just for fun as I've read many threads where neighbors have caused many problems for people with big displays.

I couldn't tell if there was a swear word, "don't F with us" or if it said something like "you won't out-do us".

Very funny. Too bad it's not earlier in the year; each planet christmas member could have sent you a couple spare mini strings and you could NUKE em; ha ha. YOu could get a ton of MR6 LEDs and have a shock and awe strobe routine.

The only thing you have left to do is run an extension cord to over to them and steal their power. Anybody with that mindset deserves to be messed with. I think you have a bigger support group, so don't worry.

I'd definitely light it up!!!

There was some smack talk going around work a couple of years ago about a cubical decorating contest. Well...They can talk all they want...All it took was a few thousand lights;)

Same situation as you! If they escalate the display just wake up in the middle of the night and add just a few more lights than they have... I'm sure it's all in fun, but you never know..There are some strange people out there....

If i were you, i would do what my grandma did with her neighbor. They used to "compete" with each other and one year they both started giving each other a gift (blow mold to put in thier yard) to add to their display. The following year they both traded gifts again and each year the 2 houses grew with more and more decorations. Instead of a fued, they worked together and brought people to our block to see the lights.

The houses looked great. That's funny she would leave a message like that.