Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jbitzer

Something is completely wrong with this

There was an accident a block from my house on Monday where 2 people were killed. While it's tragic for any type of death this one has been haunting me for several reasons.

The first and most obvious on why it is haunting me is when I heard the accident in the form of a crash from my house I went down to the next block to see what had happened. The first thing I saw upon arriving at the scene was the police standing over the covered body of one of the individuals. Then there was completely demolished vehicle 100 or so feet from the body.

Those of us standing there looking at everything were trying to put together the sequence of events of the body, the position of the car, the driver still in the car. It wasn't until after the police interviewed eye witnesses that the pieces of this puzzle started to come together.

The body that was 100 feet from the vehicle, was simply a homeowner that was out in his front yard trimming some trees when he was struck by an out of control vehicle, then the vehicle slammed into a utility pole. The driver was killed as well.

What makes no sense at all about this tragic incident is the homeowner was a Lt. Col in the Air Force. He was a fighter pilot who had flown in Iraq. He survived all these missions in hostile territory only to be killed while trimming his trees.

The lesson that has demonstrated for me this week that life is fragile. You never know what it's you time to go. I can't get the thought out of my head that this could have been me when I was mowing the lawn, raking leaves, stringing Christmas lights. Although Where this happened on the next block is a highway where the speed limit is 50 mpg, I live on a street that runs parallel where the speed limit is 25 mph and cars come screaming down at close to twice that speed.

I feel lucky because these freak accidents happen somewhere everyday. I also feel sorrow for both families of the victims.

For more details on this incident here is the link to the story on our local news website:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Crash-Kills-Air-Force-Lt-Col-Driver-79250012.html

I can sympathize with you. I have been in Law Enforcement for 20 years, with six years as a motor officer investigating traffic collisions, including fatal collisions. Afterwards I sometimes think about my own mortality and what the affects on my family would be, if such a tragedy. It is a uncommon to have the feelings that you are having after witnessing the aftermath of such a horrific event. In time the feelings and mental images will subside but, until then just enjoy the time you have with your family and friends.

I mean yeh it sucks to must have been there seeing this horrific crash. So in a way, I get where you're coming from. Over the summer two young guys died in car crashes in my community. I mean I didn't know them as friends but I knew them from seeing them around. So yeh. And as you said yourself, any loss of life is tragic. But what's important to remember is that we cannot dwell on what happened, life moves on and so we also need to.

But look just living life itself is basically one huge risk, made up of many tiny ones. I mean people die in car crashes, plane crashes, in fires, are murdered, and even commit suicide. But look if we all keep thinking about taking those risks would we be able to even participate in something that happens to have those risks. Honestly we would lock ourselves in our houses and not go out, we would probably be hoarding our trash inside our homes. We definitely wouldn't ride around in cars nor fly in planes. We would be scared of even lighting a freaking candle. And over time our minds would become jail cells, not letting us live out our lives.

Now you may be wondering what I'm talking about. What I'm getting at is that you can't be scared of living life. Now I understand that you must have been scared of what you saw because you wrote that it is haunting you. But as I have said everything that we do happens to pertain risks. It's risk after risk. This is life - cold, hard, plain and simple (I am talking about the statement, not life as and of itself). It sucks, we all know that's life.

So, in the end, it is better to move on than to dwell.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Its odd when you see 2 lives taken in an instant like this. What was haunting me was it being so close to the holidays and a lock from my own yard. Could have been me if the driver had taken a different route.

I know we shouldn't dwell on this sort of stuff but things like this make you stop long enough to look around appreciate what you've got.