Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

So this is Christmas....

Guest Blowmold Magic

Guest A.F.NUT

HOLY CRAP.........you know you've told me bits n peices of this but i never imagined!........it's freaking awesome! almost puts me to shame.....Almost!

LOL

Justin

Thanks. So you gonna put me to shame? LOL Bring it on my friend! Tom

• Replies 77
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A.F.NUT

Tom, it looks great! I love your choir..and the flying reindeer..really really nice!

Thanks Carrie, the choir was copied friom you! I never forgot yours last year and it was a must! I will be adding to it over time. Tom

Guest Matilda

WOW! Everything is so meticulous and gorgeous! Your attention to detail is unbelievable! Where do I start? I love the snowflakes on the roof... the choir by the garage... the Snoopy doghouse... the flying sleigh and team... the snowmen in the meadow... LOL

I love it!! :D Congratulations, you have really outdone yourself!! I cannot believe you decorate your neighbor's yard!! You are one crazy cat!! ;)

We've had a lot of fun this past year! Thanks a million! I can't wait to get started on all the projects we have planned for next year! LOL

Guest A.F.NUT

WOW! Everything is so meticulous and gorgeous! Your attention to detail is unbelievable! Where do I start? I love the snowflakes on the roof... the choir by the garage... the Snoopy doghouse... the flying sleigh and team... the snowmen in the meadow... LOL

I love it!! :D Congratulations, you have really outdone yourself!! I cannot believe you decorate your neighbor's yard!! You are one crazy cat!! ;)

We've had a lot of fun this past year! Thanks a million! I can't wait to get started on all the projects we have planned for next year! LOL

Crazy is an understatement I think! Had I known I at the time where the snowmen would end up, there would have been a meadow LOL

It has been a great year and your right cant wait to get started for next year! We have a lot of work to do! Thank you for everything! Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

Great job on the display A.F. Nut, you sure have a good sized lawn to work with. I really like the Merry Christmas sign is it homemade and how do you mount it to the roof. In regards to "boring us with your pictures" feel free to bore us anytime .

Thank you im glad you enjoyed the pics. The Merry Christmas sign is a wire frame I got at Walmart a few years ago. It was all green lights and I added the red to it. If you noticed in the pics it is almost white the paint came off the bulbs just this year, im not happy with it! It has easel type things on the back to set it in the lawn. I just zip tied it to the ridge vent by those, one of the easiest things to put up actually! Tom

Guest Matilda

OK... looked at everything very closely.... gotta couple questions... LOL

1. Where is the Big Santa? :D

2. Are you crazy? Putting your Union Winnie at your neighbors? Hand him over to me immediately! :rolleyes:

3. Oh geez... I forgot.... dang... got to go back and look again...

OH... and love the scraggly tree! :giggle: PERFECT!!

PS (paint the blue tender red or green for goodness sakes! Blah....)

Guest Matilda

Very nice -good looking. I was thinking about posting some pictures of my little display--but I think not. After seeing the displays you guys post--I am embarrassed.

Hey... I'm going to answer this one for Tom... for all of us... Please share your display with us! It's all for fun and I know we enjoy anything with a blowmold in it!!! Seriously... it's all about the spirit of the season. One decoration put out with joy and love is as beautiful as any big display!

(Oh geez... I'm hanging around Tom too much... I'm getting all sweet and sentimental! LOL)

I hope you'll share your decorating efforts with us. Merry Christmas.

No that is an Empire well GF remake. I mounted it on a plastic flower pot for the height. Well he cant help me for a few reasons one is he is in his late 70's and actually he wouldent be able to please me im hard to work with LOL I like things the way I like them. I mounted the toy soldiers 3 times before I was happy. I have a hard time pleasing my self! He did lend me his extension cords though. Tom

Tom--I hope you don't mind if I "steal" your Lamp Post idea. I have been wanting make mine higher and could never figure out how to do it that would look nice. Like the flower pot idea.

Hey... I'm going to answer this one for Tom... for all of us... Please share your display with us! It's all for fun and I know we enjoy anything with a blowmold in it!!! Seriously... it's all about the spirit of the season. One decoration put out with joy and love is as beautiful as any big display!

(Oh geez... I'm hanging around Tom too much... I'm getting all sweet and sentimental! LOL)

Okay--I will try and post some. I have never started a thread before but will try.

Guest A.F.NUT

OK... looked at everything very closely.... gotta couple questions... LOL

1. Where is the Big Santa? :D

2. Are you crazy? Putting your Union Winnie at your neighbors? Hand him over to me immediately! :rolleyes:

3. Oh geez... I forgot.... dang... got to go back and look again...

OH... and love the scraggly tree! :giggle: PERFECT!!

PS (paint the blue tender red or green for goodness sakes! Blah....)

Ok a couple answers for you, Big Santa is in the back in Santa land. I didnt get time to paint him. Dont worry he is first on the list this winter for his makeover. I know where he will go next year!

I put Union Winnie over there because I thought the SB Winnie went better with the others it's that set thing I have! Dont worry extra security precautions were taken!

That tree is perfect for the doghouse. I hope next year to finish that idea!

Paint my blue tender? Yikes sorry no can do. We like all colors here. In the propper order of course! LOL

A few pics attached the one is from the roof. He is near the pine tree.

Tom

Edited by A.F.NUT
    Guest A.F.NUT

Tom--I hope you don't mind if I "steal" your Lamp Post idea. I have been wanting make mine higher and could never figure out how to do it that would look nice. Like the flower pot idea.

Do it! It really makes the lamp post look much better. I did this by accident they had fall mums in them and when I dumped them I noticed the design and size it all worked out well. Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

Yes what she said! And I did see you since posted your pics and they are great! I/we love seeing everyones displays, we all gotta start somewhere. Ok Miss M you making fun of me? LOL Tom

Do it! It really makes the lamp post look much better. I did this by accident they had fall mums in them and when I dumped them I noticed the design and size it all worked out well. Tom

Tom--do you happen to have a close up picture of the flower pot base. I would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks