Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Blowmold Magic

So this is Christmas....

Guest A.F.NUT

Tom--do you happen to have a close up picture of the flower pot base. I would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks

I have pictures of everything, But I must not have taken those ones. I only have a pic of the ones with out the bases. Here is one of the display, if you want a closer I can snap you one tomorrow. Tom

I have pictures of everything, But I must not have taken those ones. I only have a pic of the ones with out the bases. Here is one of the display, if you want a closer I can snap you one tomorrow. Tom

Thanks, If you wouldn't mind I would like the pic. Is that pot plastic?

I don't think one can save the pictures posted on PC, least I can't.

You can send the picture to my email address if you want.

Thanks

Your / Neighbors display looks wonderful! Love the flying reindeer! I too along with Matilda said [email protected] your giant Winnie next door. We don't even put ours outside (he stays in nice warm house where we can keep a close eye on him) let alone next door..LOL!

:121_reindeer:Everything is just bootyful!

Guest A.F.NUT

Thanks, If you wouldn't mind I would like the pic. Is that pot plastic?

I don't think one can save the pictures posted on PC, least I can't.

You can send the picture to my email address if you want.

Thanks

The pot is plasic. I simply screwed it to the post. Send me a pm with your email I can send you a pic. Tom

Guest Matilda

I too along with Matilda said [email protected] your giant Winnie next door. We don't even put ours outside (he stays in nice warm house where we can keep a close eye on him) let alone next door..LOL!

Tom,

Nyaa Nyaa Nya Nya Nya... I TOLD you so!! :P

Guest A.F.NUT

Your / Neighbors display looks wonderful! Love the flying reindeer! I too along with Matilda said [email protected] your giant Winnie next door. We don't even put ours outside (he stays in nice warm house where we can keep a close eye on him) let alone next door..LOL!

Thanks so much. The flying santa and my choir are my favorites. I hesitated about Winnie but I also wanted to put some bigger stuff in his yard it is a big area to fill. In order to take Winnie you have to take the porch too. LOL Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

Tom,

Nyaa Nyaa Nya Nya Nya... I TOLD you so!! :P

I know I know. I will change mine if you change yours! Ony problem is, have to wait for the snow to melt. No footprints in my snow! Tom

Guest Matilda

I know I know. I will change mine if you change yours! Ony problem is, have to wait for the snow to melt. No footprints in my snow! Tom

LMAO!! FredEx is outside changing the order of the tenders as we speak! Just so you can sleep tonight! (OK... maybe he is... maybe he isn't... you don't know)...

Guest A.F.NUT

LMAO!! FredEx is outside changing the order of the tenders as we speak! Just so you can sleep tonight! (OK... maybe he is... maybe he isn't... you don't know)...

Thank you Thank you im sure he did! I will need to see some proof! Tom

Looks great Tom, excellent layout. Your perfectionism payed off well. :) I'm the same way, although I just kind of threw everything out this year, but I had it almost entirely laid out in my head before hand.

I really love the Merry Christmas sign, and snowman grouping (I have always grouped them in choir style setup, they look great that way I think) although I think my favorite is the commercial christmas lantern you hung from the telephone pole.

I haven't been on PC for a week or so and I'm trying to catch up.

I was looking for this display and OMG! :eek: It is awesome! I love the train, the snoopy, the Union Pooh next door, the choir...

I love it all. I also love the perfect landscaping which looks even better from the roof. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My kids are going to love it when I show them.

Guest A.F.NUT

Looks great Tom, excellent layout. Your perfectionism payed off well. :) I'm the same way, although I just kind of threw everything out this year, but I had it almost entirely laid out in my head before hand.

I really love the Merry Christmas sign, and snowman grouping (I have always grouped them in choir style setup, they look great that way I think) although I think my favorite is the commercial christmas lantern you hung from the telephone pole.

Thanks Kev I always have it planned in my head, the way it looks this year is exactly how I had pictured thanksgiving night. The planned changed a lot prior especialy after talking to the neighbor. But one thing I learned is if you dont have a game plan it's a disaster and slows me down and gets frustrating!

The snowmen I think are the best that way just got a few more today. I hope to have them all next year. The Merry Christmas was going to get a year off this year but that was another project that didnt happen. I do like the commercial look to it. The lantern I have heard is a favorite of the township too. When I got it the candle was a mess, tape wrapped around a stick so I cut a piece of pvc and slipped over it also it was missing the finial on the bottom so I got a curtain rod finial at Lowes and put that on, some new paint and I made the bracket added the twinkle lights and im thrilled with it. I wish there were two and I could have put one on the neighbors pole too! Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

I haven't been on PC for a week or so and I'm trying to catch up.

I was looking for this display and OMG! :eek: It is awesome! I love the train, the snoopy, the Union Pooh next door, the choir...

I love it all. I also love the perfect landscaping which looks even better from the roof. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My kids are going to love it when I show them.

Thanks Jim, I got on the roof to fix the furnace flew lid thing that was ripped off in the storm and looked down and got a new look so I couldent resist some pics. The choir is my favorite I made the risers for them which helps show them off. I have got a lot of feedback from the township and that seems to be a favorite too. People seem to like the old fashioned things that remind them of Christmas's past I think. I was going to make Charlie Brown to go with the Snoopy doghouse, but had too many other projects going on. Next year! Tom

Guest Christmas Is 4 Me

Terriffic display!!

I too have the layout in my head, or it doesn't go well for me either.

I really like your sleigh and reindeer!! I also like your snoopy doghouse. I will have to look for one so I can copy your idea.

I think it was wonderful that you decorated your neighbors yard!! So thoughful and kind and touching.

Merry Christmas!!

Guest A.F.NUT

Terriffic display!!

I too have the layout in my head, or it doesn't go well for me either.

I really like your sleigh and reindeer!! I also like your snoopy doghouse. I will have to look for one so I can copy your idea.

I think it was wonderful that you decorated your neighbors yard!! So thoughful and kind and touching.

Merry Christmas!!

Thanks so much! it really is a great thing for both of us, he gets his yard decorated and I get to display molds that I wouldent have been able to use. The doghouse can be found they are on ebay here and there. I hope you get one and if you do post a pic! Tom

Great displays Tom! Your meticulous landscaping makes the display even more stunning.

It is very generous of you to donate your time and the use of your blow molds to decorate your neighbor's yard. You get my vote for the Good Neighbor Award.

I like so many aspects of your display but here are a few of the highlights for me, in no particular order:

Snoopy Doghouse- I really like how you added the Charlie Brown tree next to it and added the lights to the dog house.

Soliders- lining the road with the 2 houses really helps to unify them.

Merry Christmas Sign- I like how it is centered on the roof. It sets the overall festive tone for the rest of the house/yard.

Flying Reindeer- They look great.

Snowman Group- Nice collection of blow molds.

Choir- I like your attention to detail by adding the greens to the base of them and your arrangement is appealing by leaving larger spaces between some of them and not just lining them up evenly.

Snowflakes on the roof - I like when a display uses the roof too.

Poloron Fawns- I have been looking for one of those. Do I see 3 of those in your backyard? Lucky man!

Thanks for taking the time to share all of your photos. Merry Christmas.

Guest A.F.NUT

Great displays Tom! Your meticulous landscaping makes the display even more stunning.

It is very generous of you to donate your time and the use of your blow molds to decorate your neighbor's yard. You get my vote for the Good Neighbor Award.

I like so many aspects of your display but here are a few of the highlights for me, in no particular order:

Snoopy Doghouse- I really like how you added the Charlie Brown tree next to it and added the lights to the dog house.

Soliders- lining the road with the 2 houses really helps to unify them.

Merry Christmas Sign- I like how it is centered on the roof. It sets the overall festive tone for the rest of the house/yard.

Flying Reindeer- They look great.

Snowman Group- Nice collection of blow molds.

Choir- I like your attention to detail by adding the greens to the base of them and your arrangement is appealing by leaving larger spaces between some of them and not just lining them up evenly.

Snowflakes on the roof - I like when a display uses the roof too.

Poloron Fawns- I have been looking for one of those. Do I see 3 of those in your backyard? Lucky man!

Thanks for taking the time to share all of your photos. Merry Christmas.

Thanks so much for the kind words. One thing for sure is im very lucky to have great neighbors. You picked up exactly what I was trying to accomplish im glad! I wanted the display to look like one rather than two separate ones so that is exactly why the soldiers were done that way. I thought about putting a nativity over there but that would give it a separate look I thought. The Merry Christmas is centered above the door. Which is about the middle of the roof it looks bad if it's in the wrong spot. I was on and off the roof 4 times before I got it right. I always like to draw attention to the front door. The flying reindeer set is my favorite and once hooked up very easy to hang. I played a lot with the choir they are on individual risers cut to 3 different heights to get that look. I think I left a three inch difference in them. This will make it easy to add more members in the future and change the setup a little. The greens hide the wood well. I looked at the roof last year, everything lit up and a large black void on the roof that's when I came up with that idea. It was even better when I found those big snowflakes at 90% off last year. Im a detail person I guess, and I can tell you are too, Im sure many people up and down the road dont notice but I do and thats what counts! You saw 3 fawns in one pic and in the snowy pic you will see 5 they came after the I took the first set of pics. I actually have 6 fawns one was restored and is in the front. They are probably one of my favorite molds, the plan is to have santas 8. If I get lucky enough to find two more as cheap as what I found these ones for it may happen. Merry Christmas, Tomn

Guest Matilda

Thanks so much for the kind words. One thing for sure is im very lucky to have great neighbors. You picked up exactly what I was trying to accomplish im glad! I wanted the display to look like one rather than two separate ones so that is exactly why the soldiers were done that way. I thought about putting a nativity over there but that would give it a separate look I thought. The Merry Christmas is centered above the door. Which is about the middle of the roof it looks bad if it's in the wrong spot. I was on and off the roof 4 times before I got it right. I always like to draw attention to the front door. The flying reindeer set is my favorite and once hooked up very easy to hang. I played a lot with the choir they are on individual risers cut to 3 different heights to get that look. I think I left a three inch difference in them. This will make it easy to add more members in the future and change the setup a little. The greens hide the wood well. I looked at the roof last year, everything lit up and a large black void on the roof that's when I came up with that idea. It was even better when I found those big snowflakes at 90% off last year. Im a detail person I guess, and I can tell you are too, Im sure many people up and down the road dont notice but I do and thats what counts! You saw 3 fawns in one pic and in the snowy pic you will see 5 they came after the I took the first set of pics. I actually have 6 fawns one was restored and is in the front. They are probably one of my favorite molds, the plan is to have santas 8. If I get lucky enough to find two more as cheap as what I found these ones for it may happen. Merry Christmas, Tomn

someone needs some ther-ah-pee (in singsong voice)... ;);) LOL!!

Guest A.F.NUT

someone needs some ther-ah-pee (in singsong voice)... ;);) LOL!!

C'mon, you know me well enough by now, there is no amount of therapy or medicine strong enough to cure me. I didnt realize it was showing im so far gone! LOL Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

I had a very wonderful christmas this 2009 and i,m grateful to God for that

Im so glad for you! You are very lucky! Christmas 2009 here will go down as one of the worst ones ever. One my family will never forget anytime soon. I cant wait until the season is over! I look forward to 2010. Merry Christmas! Tom

Edited by A.F.NUT