Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
paul sessel

Cdi official pre order

I hate to say it but the replacement lights were great from last year except the net lights. 1/2 of the replacement net LED lights were dead within the first week of the display this year, I know you replaced them once but the net lights have an unusually high and fast failure rate.

Ok it's official - We are starting the pre order tomorrow. Here are the prices. Here are the rules:

This sale will run thru January.

No minimum orders to board members (our commercial accounts have a minimum of $1,000).

50% deposit with order.

Balance (plus shipping) is due when merchandise is ready to ship.

Merchandise will ship around April/May.

Our 90 day warranty is waived on these goods - all products will be warrantied thru the season.

There are no refunds on deposits - you may alter your order to accommodate your deposit if necessary.

***I really don't like playing E-mail 20 questions - please call 800-733-9617 with multiple questions***.

Thank you!

I drove by a houyse here in town using a mostly static display.. their whole house is COVERED in white LED's.. i noticed at the top and bottom.. lights that are almost like little water droplets falling.. they looked really cool.. are those the tubes you are talking of?

it almost looked like they are icicle lights where it was "dripping"....

-Christopher

Sam's Club sold those, about $25 for each 7 ft length in these lights. In some places these are called "meteor lights" or "snowfall lights". Also worth looking into are light light strings with 5+ channel chasers called "waterfall lights", they work a lot like these dripping lights but with open bulbs and made to look like flowing water.

those look similar to the icicles i saw.. turns out the house i referred to in my post.. the display owner PM'd me and is going to get me some more info on his icicles.. they may be the same as yours...

super cool either way! i could think of all kinds of neat things to do with those...

do you think yours can run from a LOR channel as long as I dim them? or wil the TRIAC drive destroy the board?

-Christopher

This is our house as I've confirmed with Christopher. The lights are from Sams Club called Shooting Star Icicle Lights as packaged for sale at Sams. They are made for Sams by Gemmy and on the instructional insert are called LED Color Changing Light Show.

The strands are 12.5 feet lighted area with a mix of clear molded plastic "icicles" in 7", 11" and 13" lengths. They originally retailed in our area for $34.91 a set. As I've already shared with Christopher, we bought them a few weeks ago for $11.91 a set and purchased an additional case and a half yesterday for $9.91 a set. Only 1 out of the 4 clubs in our immediate area had any left as of yesterday.

Although I've not tested them with LOR, I'm assuming that they can't be used due to the TRIAC drive mentioned above. I've got some relay boxes I've built to facilitate use of such devices with my LOR controllers...obviously not dimmable but at least gives you LOR on/off control.

aww thats where those last few went! I tried to go fimnd them and they were gone gone gone.. drove all the way up there for nothin hehehe

itll be 2011 before those are on my display.. im not gonna pay that much 34.91 a set for them.. esp when i need about 60 feet of them

-Christopher

Edited by eldoradoboy

Yes - they look totally awesome! The problem with the snowflakes is storage. They get so tangled up - they are a pain in the drain when you pull them out the following year.

Agreed. Had problems with them falling off when I installed my aunt's this year.

What's the actual lighted length of the c6 Icicles?

I got an email flyer this morning and am a little confused.. on the boards here everyone been saying the sale ends jan 31st, yet in my email flyer it says it goes on til feb 12th...

in the email it states min order $1000, in here it says no min.. (im planning on at least that) but am confused about the date of the sale?

all the time I can have helps because I need to get a CCR in my hand to play with from LOR to determine how many lights ill need from this CDI order...

-Christopher

I got an email flyer this morning and am a little confused.. on the boards here everyone been saying the sale ends jan 31st, yet in my email flyer it says it goes on til feb 12th...

in the email it states min order $1000, in here it says no min.. (im planning on at least that) but am confused about the date of the sale?

all the time I can have helps because I need to get a CCR in my hand to play with from LOR to determine how many lights ill need from this CDI order...

-Christopher

That e-mail is more or less directed at commercial customers. There is no minimum for those of us on the forums. As to the date, I'm guessing Paul would have to clear that up.

That e-mail is more or less directed at commercial customers. There is no minimum for those of us on the forums. As to the date, I'm guessing Paul would have to clear that up.

I opened this sale up earlier to the boards and am closing it to the boards at the end of January. My commercial accounts get a few more weeks but have a minimum of $1,000.

so if we are ordering more than $1000 of lights we get the extra time??

-Christopher

There's always someone that wants to push the envelope! :121_reindeer:

I think I now have a good vender for them and should have some pricing by next week.

Sweet, I can use these as well, Will they be the same as last year, and be able to be dimmed. I bought the red net lights last year and they have worked great.

Bill

Pricing looks great and I'm excited to be a first time-customer! Two questions:

1) With all the standard strings (5MM, C6, M6, etc) I assume these have a standard M or F edison plug at each end?

2) How many LEDs are in the C9 replacement bulbs? I bought a sealed C9 commercial grade full-wave string this year and was really disappointed with how bright it was, but I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 LEDs in the bulbs.

Thanks!

Steve

There's always someone that wants to push the envelope! :121_reindeer:

hey arent we all pushing the envelope with our displays??

im just waiting on some info for the layout of my display for 2010 and dont know if ill have it by end of jan or not but pretty sure I'll know by first week of feb.... so I thought if it just a matter of min order to get the extra time im good...

-Christopher

Does the 1000' and 500' cord spools allow for custom sizing. In other words I cut to fit ??

If so, are the attachon plugs compatible ??

Thanks,

Pricing looks great and I'm excited to be a first time-customer! Two questions:

1) With all the standard strings (5MM, C6, M6, etc) I assume these have a standard M or F edison plug at each end? yes a stackable plug on both ends

2) How many LEDs are in the C9 replacement bulbs? I bought a sealed C9 commercial grade full-wave string this year and was really disappointed with how bright it was, but I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 LEDs in the bulbs. There are 5 LED's in the C-9's and 3 LED's in the C-7's

Thanks!

Steve

See above for answers

Does the 1000' and 500' cord spools allow for custom sizing. In other words I cut to fit ??

If so, are the attachon plugs compatible ??

Thanks,

Yes and Yes

Reposting, as Paul seems to have checked the thread but didn't see the question:

Paul S, could you at least talk about the new incand. strobes? I assume you've at least seen them before putting them in a display...

Are they shaped simmilarly to Daryl's? Are they as bright?

I can't imagine you seriously expect folks to make a $40 purchase based on nothing but a single line in a PDF file....

Reposting, as Paul seems to have checked the thread but didn't see the question:

Quote:

Paul S, could you at least talk about the new incand. strobes? I assume you've at least seen them before putting them in a display...

Are they shaped simmilarly to Daryl's? Are they as bright?

I can't imagine you seriously expect folks to make a $40 purchase based on nothing but a single line in a PDF file....

Someone else already posted a reply to this - I didn't think I needed to double up on it but. . . I have seen them, they are an incandescent strobe like other venders. They are in the same sealed base as my LED strobes. They are a 6 watt Xenon strobe. I don't know what others are selling, I assume they are just as bright. My samples are in Atlanta for my show next week, so I can't get you pictures or video's until later in January when I get my booth shipped back to me.

Being as they are new this year I don't think anyone else could have commented on them. Someone did comment on the LEDs, but not the incand.

If you get your display back before the end of Jan, can you get pics/vid up before the pre-buy ends for us? That would *really* help us out here.

Thanks in advance.

Being as they are new this year I don't think anyone else could have commented on them. Someone did comment on the LEDs, but not the incand.

If you get your display back before the end of Jan, can you get pics/vid up before the pre-buy ends for us? That would *really* help us out here.

Thanks in advance.

You bet I will

Thanks Paul. If you can get a hold of one of Daryl's for comparison that would be perfect.

I'll lay off and stop bothering you now. :)

Paul:

What about the blue net lights, is there a different manufacturer for these this year? The 2008 and 2009 model was horrible. I've already had 5 of my 9 brand new blue nets on my palm trees fail. Some failed in the first few days of use. It seems a couple of them are very dim, while the rest just stopped working altogether.

How dimmable are the C6 and M6 lights in a LOR display? Anyone have any experience?

Scott

I've been using the M6 for 2+ full seasons. They come on at their lowest setting *before* incandescents will. Very smooth fades.

The C6 is basically the exact same thing, just with a different plastic reflector on it.

If you check out our video, the star and the rays below it on our garage are built entirely out of Paul's M6 strings. These were from the 2007 batch.

http://www.vimeo.com/8276118

Please note, these things over drive the camera pretty fierce, they're much brighter than incandescent minilights. ;) You'll see what I'm talking about in the video. At the 7:13 mark, there's a slow fade up in red on many different fixtures. The house eves are C9 incandescent, the yard fence are C7 incandescent, the internal reds on the snowmen are LED RGB units driven by DC16s, the Megatree is all incandescent minilights driven by AC16s. The Garage Star is all CDI M6 LEDs driven by the same AC16s, given the same exact commands the megatree reds are. You can see how much *sooner* the LEDs come on compared to incandescents.

Edited by Gary Martin

the sample M6 strings I have dim very good.. they do come on earlier than an incandescent but still have a nice smooth dimming curve.. I have them on a channel with incandescents also... when by themselves they dont dim quite as smooth but still very good

-Christopher