Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

My new Marty/Fan combination projects

Sorry didnt mean to ruffle feathers. I been playing with importing LOR sequences over into my AL stuff to look at other's works via LSP and in the sequences that shimmer has fully imported and looks as intended on a LOR system, and looks here exactly like it did in the video. Maybe its just a personal opinion, but I dont like the look of the LOR shimmer here. Sorry I brought it up, I did like very much ALL of the effects and fan in the video, just I hate to say it but the LOR shimmer on steroids in video or in person just has the vertigo effect on me. I think when you put LED lights on the shimmer, it shimmers even stronger then it would on incandescent lights for example.

Ok you were talking about the shimmer. Yeah I don't use it much either. It is alittle too blinky. You kind of made it sound like you were talking about his sequencing in general. I have seen some displays that use the shimmer too much and you feel like you are going to have a seizure.:D

Ok you were talking about the shimmer. Yeah I don't use it much either. It is alittle too blinky. You kind of made it sound like you were talking about his sequencing in general. I have seen some displays that use the shimmer too much and you feel like you are going to have a seizure.:D

Yes Nothing else about the sequence was a problem for me but that Shimmer... I hate that shimmer and cant think of any place I would ever use it. On sequences I imported first thing I had to do is replace the shimmer or get rid of it for something else. Not everything imports over to AL with the original LOR name. Not sure how LOR works but speed of all flickers, shimmers, etc are programmable on AL so they I think convert LOR shimmers to something else and adjust the AL speed and it ends up looking identical to the original on LOR. Now if I am "into" lights and blinking and program them all the time and I am getting vertigo from the hyper blinky shimmer, I know visitors to my display would have problems with it for sure. Not only that but we know those who are vulnerable to seizures, its the faster blinks that run the risk for those people, so slowing down the blink rates makes your display safer for epileptics.

I don't know if you have seen them in action but here is a video of a guys house not far from me. They look much better in person. They show up about a minute in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDTKn2zJwQ

THAT is one of the best displays I've seen. Really well done. And, if he is not far from Shaun, I can't believe he does "warm weather type things" like flakes on the roof and lights on the ground. Very well done.

Do we know if he is on PC?

THAT is one of the best displays I've seen. Really well done. And, if he is not far from Shaun, I can't believe he does "warm weather type things" like flakes on the roof and lights on the ground. Very well done.

He is not on PC. I have talked to him and he is one, too busy, and two he doesn't seem like the online type of person. I have tried inviting him to the Wi mini and he said he might not come. He is a real nice guy though. I heard he might not do his display anymore or might at least take a break. He has major traffic issues because he lives on a cul-de-sac.

The snowflakes and MC sign you couldn't see very well because of the snow but the lawn lights are elevated so they don't get covered up.

Does he have a video of a Motley Crue sequence or was it my imagination?

The shimmer effect works great for a grand finally.

Was looking for new ideas and ran across these.We had four arch's in the display this year and everyone loved them. Unfortunately my wife looked in and asked how many more controllers do I need to do that when I said three she said I was sick. OK I said can we get them she left the room.

Glad to see the rest of you are as sick as me. How many more days till the lights go on?

• 8 months later...