Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ryanchristmas

What I've gotten on sale so far.

Did anyone see or get the blue lighted octopus holding the candy cane from Home Depot? Or was that online only?

Never saw that at any of the HD's by me...sounds interesting if it was cute i'd probably

want one just because it'd be some different (and would look good placed above my fishtank)

Check Big Lots if you have one! I got rope lights there for 3.50 today.

I got 2 cases of the 100ct white minis at Walmart, 1.19 a box, which I thought was dirty pool because they HAD sure been 1.84, but I didn't argue.

I was at BigLots at just before the 9am opening time saturday, because i wanted their

Green LEDs LOL ... i saw quite a bit of incandescent ropelight at one BigLots but passed

by it...(i did get some LED ropelight at Target tho)

Oh and as for Walmart mini's ringing up incorrectly at 1.19 instead of $.92... just tell the

cashier and they'll fix it (didn't even need to get a manager).

Edited by XmasLightGuy

I got 2 cases of the 100ct white minis at Walmart, 1.19 a box, which I thought was dirty pool because they HAD sure been 1.84, but I didn't argue.

I bought 75 boxes from walmart and after I bought them I noticed that they rang up also at 1.19 a box but the price on the shelf said something like $1.84 a box and a sign that said 50% off. Took the receipt to the return desk and they credited me back $25.

I kind of figure that it evens out with me and Walmart, sometimes I get things at a cheaper price, sometimes it's a little higher. I was just pleased to find anything at all left still on the 28th.

I hope to get to go back tomorrow or the next day, is anyone having any luck at Lowe's or Home Depot in store?

All the shelf tags at our wal mart also said 1.84. I was there the day they stocked the shelfs for the first time, and witnessed them hang the 1.84 tag. They never sold a single box at anything over 1.84 yet they claim the original price was 2.38 a box. I have gone round and round over it with them, when they ring it up it shows 1.84 as the original price on the receipt.

I got 108 boxes of 100ct clear minis from Lowes for $.46 each.

I also found about 30-35 boxes of green minis and almost 25 boxes of

red mini ... at a walmart supercenter.

Also scored about 26 15' spt2 cords at lowes for around $.64 each.

Bought a few boxes of C9(s) for 50% off at walmart and home depot ... but thats about it.

The sales really stink this year, and places like Target are messing us up big time with their 30% off on cords baloney, which isn't moving any product.

Wow wish I could have found that much stuff here. All I got was 2 inflatables one from walmart and one from home depot. There were no mini lights anywhere 2 weeks before Christmas. Very sad year.........

I saw mini lights today in a Target for the first time since December 6th!

I have checked all over town, and have found pretty much everyone sold out of mini lights. I walked into a Target across town today and walked out with 2700 multi-colored mini lights for $25! That Target had tons of lights left, which was very surprising. I cleaned them out of minis though.

Does anyone know when AC Moore goes to 75% off? They had two fully stocked shelves of clear minis today, but they were $2.50. I haven't seen clear minis anywhere since December 6th so it was a surprise, but I wasn't going to pay that price when I can just stock up in October and not have to store them all year for the same price. I'll go back and clean them out if they discount more though.

I got some RED minis from a walmart today ... they were boxing them all up to send to another store that they said "did more volume" than they did.

I said it was hard to find them, so she scanned a couple trays back into their store and sold them to me.

She said the excess lights were all going to the Stapleton walmart store (in denver).

The funny this was that a lady was also neaby and also overheard what they were doing ... and she wasn't happy that the lights were being shipped to a denver store ... as she a local politician who had voted for Walmart to get the store in this town. She was a little p-o'd.

So stay hopeful folks ... they are shifting inventory around.

well for the end of the season this is what I got

Lowes-Led Light show trees twin pack which included a 3ft one and a 4ft one multi-colored paid $39.00 after 50% discount.

Home depot - 2packs of C-7 Replacement Bulbs 8 pack 49 cents each and 7 packs of GE 150 count multi-colored lights $3.24 each all of this was 75% off

Not much this year but at least it was something:D

Got my best deal so far....25-light strands of incandescent C-9's for $2.50 per box. 75% off regular price. I know they're not as efficient as the LED's but what a price. Going to build one of the stars described here. Our Drug Warehouses are doing 75% off until Jan 31

I picked up 3 sets of 25ct C9's (incandescent) last night at BigLots 90% off - for

$ .65/each...have no idea what i'll do with 'em but for that price i couldn't just leave

them there on the shelf :) LOL

anybody have any extra wal mart 100 count green and red mini's looking for 10 sets of each thank you Blair

Here's what I've purchased on sale. All items 75% - 90% off from several stores in So Cal.

Rope Light:

10 boxes - 30 ft. clear rope light

7 boxes - 12 ft. clear rope light

15 boxes - 12 ft. blue rope light

3 boxes - 12 ft. red rope light

Net Lights:

14 boxes - 100 count 5 ft. x 4 ft. LED net lights

200 count miniature light sets:

12 boxes - 200 count clear with green wire

100 count miniature light sets:

270 boxes - 100 count clear with green wire

47 boxes - 100 count multi-color with white wire

37 boxes - 100 count multi-color with green wire

15 boxes - 100 count clear with white wire

4 boxes - 100 count red with green wire

1 box - 100 count green with green wire

Christmas Trees:

6 - 6.5 ft. GE LED Christmas Tree with 300 clear led C3 bulbs

1 - 9 ft. Good Tidings Winter Wonderland Christmas pre-lit tree with several hundred clear miniature lights.

Mr. Christmas:

3 - GE Wireless lights and sounds of Christmas

2 - GE Non-wireless lights and sounds of Christmas

Trains:

1 - Lionel O Gauge train set

1 - Lionel Polar Express G Gauge train set

jay, are those 25' length C9 strings?

what color are they?

I think I have some C9 Painted Red 25' strings from Hobby Lobby not sure of the price but I got them half price last year would you be interested? If so PM Me I have to dig them out to make sure put pretty sure I have 8 boxes if not more.

I think we're finally done with sales for this year....

Lights for next year, only 50% off but given the shortage of inventory we jumped on it.

Also got a ton of cords and 2 of those giant 4'x7' lighted "JOY" signs from Big Lots for (drum roll....) $2.00 each. :D

lights2010haul.jpg

Also got a ton of cords and 2 of those giant 4'x7' lighted "JOY" signs from Big Lots for (drum roll....) $2.00 each. :D

Very nice! Our big lots here SUCKS :rolleyes: ... There was nothing left.... Well unless you count xmas wrapping paper...And last i checked you cant make that blink ;)

Mr. Christmas:

3 - GE Wireless lights and sounds of Christmas

2 - GE Non-wireless lights and sounds of Christmas

Quick Question: What are you planning on doing with 5 Mr. Christmas units?

Very nice! Our big lots here SUCKS :rolleyes: ... There was nothing left....

We didn't expect them to have them... heck, after we saw folks with them here on PC 3 weeks ago we figured they would be gone so we didn't bother to check it out even then.. I was shocked to see 2 left when we went in this past saturday. I was super physched! I wanted them for our Joy To The World sequence.