Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ryanchristmas

What I've gotten on sale so far.

So I thought i'd start a thread on what everybody has gotten on sale so far, since stores don't have much left. So far I've gotten the 6ft inflatable elephant from home depot for 15.00, the 4ft joy sign from big lots for 12.50, and a set of 2 penguins from big lots for 15.00, also my mom got me an inflatable from lowes but I dont know what it is because it's for Christmas. Next year the penguins will go with my other penguin, next to my penguin inflatables and the joy sign will be on the roof, and I don't know what I'm going to put the elephant yet.

njnnnnn.jpg

nnjjjj.jpg

nnjjjjn.jpg

Lowes - 5 sets GE LED 50Lt Multi, $2.48 tl. w/ 3.00 off coupon

CVS - 5 sets GE LED 3 50 Multi

1 50 Blue

1 26 Multi c9 LED--- Tl. $12.36 inc. tax... after 3.00 off coupons

DoITCenter Color Changing Icycles 24 - $20. Was their display set...had 2 have 1 set!

1 set 60 RGB LED 16 way flashing 7.00

1 set BL/WHT Morphing LED Icycles 10 --- 6.00

I know I'm a bit different, I mostly like to collect 1 of as many different types of light sets

(due to very limited finances)... and I love a good bargain...

Lowes - 5 sets GE LED 50Lt Multi, $2.48 tl. w/ 3.00 off coupon

CVS - 5 sets GE LED 3 50 Multi

1 50 Blue

1 26 Multi c9 LED--- Tl. $12.36 inc. tax... after 3.00 off coupons

DoITCenter Color Changing Icycles 24 - $20. Was their display set...had 2 have 1 set!

1 set 60 RGB LED 16 way flashing 7.00

1 set BL/WHT Morphing LED Icycles 10 --- 6.00

I know I'm a bit different, I mostly like to collect 1 of as many different types of light sets

(due to very limited finances)... and I love a good bargain...

Not bad, i orderd the 6ft lion off of sears to go with my 6ft elephant.

I'm digging the Joy sign. I'll have to check my local Big Lots for that.

I had big plans to pick up tons of minis, but looks like that won't be a reality this year. Kind of bummed.

I'm digging the Joy sign. I'll have to check my local Big Lots for that.

I had big plans to pick up tons of minis, but looks like that won't be a reality this year. Kind of bummed.

Ya it was only 12.50 on sale, not the best built but if you used some good rebar it stay strong.

Everything was on sale or bought with the $3.00 coupon for the GE LEDs. Still looking to pick up some more Red and Green ropelight after Christmas.

From Lowes:

11 sets GE LED C-6 Red

2 sets GE LED C-6 Blue

12 sets GE LED C-6 Multi

From Target:

3 White LED Ropelight Snowflakes

3 Blue LED Ropelight Snowflakes

From Walgreens:

6 C-6 Green LEDs

3 Lighted Mickey Mouse

And some other random items:

3 sets of M5 Multi function LEDs Multi

2 sets of three candy canes

1 Set of 3 GE lighted 3D stars

Will Sanders

Guest Snowhunter61

Target:

36 boxes of 100 ct clear minis (50% off)

1 Philips LED Rope Light Merry Christmas sign (50% off)

Walmart:

7 lighted Candy Canes (50% off)

4 9' Pine Garland (50% off)

4 packs of 5A fuses (50% off)

Ace:

60" lighted wreath $50 (was $179)

Had planned on 2 cases (72 boxes) of the Target minis at 75% off like last year's multi-colored minis that I got but they were only 50% and they didn't even have 72 boxes!

My favorite score is the wreath. That will be perfect on the side of the house next year.

Well, I lucked out. My Walmart restocked their minis, and I was able to get almost everything I wanted between two of them.

3000 Blue minis @ 1.19 a box

1900 Clear minis @ 1.19 a box

500 Multi minis @ 1.19 a box

600 Red minis @ 1.19 a box (last 4)

200 Clear minis on White wire @ 1.19 a box (last 2)

300 Amber minis @ 1.19 a box

10 packs of replacement mini bulbs @ .50 a pack

2 boxes of gutter clips @ .97 a box

8 candy canes @ 1.25 each

Only things I couldn't find were 8 boxes of green minis and 2 boxes of red minis.

I grabbed 4 boxes of C9 clears for my new Bethlehem star at Lowe's too @ 1.68 a box.

Not bad at all.

post-8235-129571185808_thumb.jpg

Everybody seemed cleaned out this year.

I hit several walmarts and was able to get 75 boxes of clears at one. The rest had none or just a few multi colored mini lights.

I hit Hobby Lobby because last year this is were I cleaned house. They had walls of lights from the floor to the ceiling. C9s, Minis, you name it. Filled up the entire truck with lights.

This year I could not even find the lights! I finally found them and it was half an aisle only on one side mixed it with some other stuff and they were only 30%. Left with nothing from Hobby Lobby.

I pretty much gave up for the day and spent a lot of time driving everywhere with little to show. I then received a phone call from my Mother-in-law from a smaller town about 100 miles away. She was going to wal-mart and I told her to call me to let me know what the light situation was.

Turns out they had quite a bit of lights so I had her buy me 5 cases or Red, Green, & White for a total of 375 boxes for 37,500 lights.

Mother-in-laws are good for something! :giggle:

Everybody seemed cleaned out this year.

I hit several walmarts and was able to get 75 boxes of clears at one. The rest had none or just a few multi colored mini lights.

I hit Hobby Lobby because last year this is were I cleaned house. They had walls of lights from the floor to the ceiling. C9s, Minis, you name it. Filled up the entire truck with lights.

This year I could not even find the lights! I finally found them and it was half an aisle only on one side mixed it with some other stuff and they were only 30%. Left with nothing from Hobby Lobby.

I pretty much gave up for the day and spent a lot of time driving everywhere with little to show. I then received a phone call from my Mother-in-law from a smaller town about 100 miles away. She was going to wal-mart and I told her to call me to let me know what the light situation was.

Turns out they had quite a bit of lights so I had her buy me 5 cases or Red, Green, & White for a total of 375 boxes for 37,500 lights.

Mother-in-laws are good for something! :giggle:

Haha good job, i wish my walmart had had some lights because i neede to replace all my blue minis for the rivers and i needed more icicles to go around my hole house.

Well, it's been sparse here. I was lucky to find what I did!

From Wal-Mart:

2 - 6.5' trees (now I have a total of 4)

3 - 9' Supreme Branch Garland

2 - 6ft corded power stakes

From Target:

2 - 350ct lights

2 - 24" Philips LED pathway trees (Warm white, no less)

I might run to town again and check Meijer, they had some snowflakes I liked. I'll have to just hit the stores in Late October/Early November to get the lights I need..

Guest CrazylightkidR.I.

So far i Got 10 boxes of 100ct. Red Lights green wire & 10 boxes of 100ct. Green Lights green wire From Wal - Mart for about .97 cents a piece. Also picked up 4 boxes of 300ct. Multi color icicles w/ white wire. for about 3.00 a box (Not bad spent about 42.00) Lights are at least 1.00 cheaper this year. 100ct. last year was 2.22 a box now there like 1.84 i believe?

Clear is about all that can be had around here too. If you paid $1.19 at Walmart something doesn't look right. They show 50% off so they should have been $.92. Either way it may be good that you could get some period.

They had some LED's but the quality was very poor so I wouldn't even pay 50% off prices.

I'm hoping to get a 12' Christmas tree so I have something that shows above the snow next year. :giggle:

So far i Got 10 boxes of 100ct. Red Lights green wire & 10 boxes of 100ct. Green Lights green wire From Wal - Mart for about .97 cents a piece. Also picked up 4 boxes of 300ct. Multi color icicles w/ white wire. for about 3.00 a box (Not bad spent about 42.00) Lights are at least 1.00 cheaper this year. 100ct. last year was 2.22 a box now there like 1.84 i believe?

Interesting, as the Walmarts around here are still charging the same 2.38 a box as they did last year. I'd have an easier time buying lights in season if they were 1.84.

Everyone is doing good, i think i'm just going to have to pay full price next year so i can replace my lights in my rivers and buy more icicle lights.

You could drive all the way to Colorado ... LOL ... the Walmart by me has LOTS of icicles

(but very little in the way of other lights)

--------------------

I found a few things so far today (and plan to go out again after lunch)

You could drive all the way to Colorado ... LOL ... the Walmart by me has LOTS of icicles

(but very little in the way of other lights)

--------------------

I found a few things so far today (and plan to go out again after lunch)

Ya, i'll probaly go to home depot later, they have tons of icicles left.