Anyone else new this year?

2010 is my first year. I have had static displays for a few years that have just gotten bigger each year. Last year we probably would have won the local contest but something went wrong with the mechanical timers that turned on all the circuits and it failed. We were gone that evening. This year we won the contest. We have done the show with the Mr Christmas boxes 2 of them) and had 15,000 plus lights and many other yard decorations including 20 inflatables. Going 16 channels next year. We live in a small town and had two local papers do stories this year. We had a steady stream of cars every night so I am sure that next year we will get lookers. We will do a drive for the local food bank and have a cash box mounted for a local charity. I will get preseason newspaper coverage around Thanksgiving about the charities so that should help get the viewers. My younger brother is the managing editor of both the local papers so I have no problem getting the coverage.

I am curious how you do a voice over. Could some one help there. ALso need advice as to how to put a video on u-tube.

Thanks

Old Man In Idaho

this our first year and we bought 32 channel (2 16 channel) boxes and we all ready started preping for oct. ive gottin soooooooooo much help from people on here where i live is only 5 mins from memphis and there r only 2 of us that do lor shows

I'm also new at using LOR's. I've had a state display for years and for the past 2 years I've used a Mr. Christmas 6 channel with a FM transmitter just to flash some lights. I've bought 2 LOR controllers to give me 32 channels and the software. I too have been on this website every day for the past 20 days, reading all of the great information and getting ideas.

I've also been buying every light I can get that I think that I'll need. I know that I will have some newbie questions :D and will have to depend on all of the pros out there for answers.

Thanks for a great place for sharing information.

Doug

My first LOR year too and I just threw it together with 16 channels and really enjoyed doing it, didn't even get the controller or FM transmitter until Nov.

I am putting my LOR controller and FM transmitter in the storm cellar just incase everything is wiped out in a tornado I wont have to start over that is how nuts I am about this lol.

I still consider myself new!

2 year ago I purchased a Mr. Christmas at Costco and hooked it up the day before Thanksgiving to trees at the very front of my house. I was amazed at how that dumb little box actually made the Christmas season seem longer. That is a good thing;)

In Arizona it is tough sometimes to get into the holiday spirit when it is still in the mid 70's at Thanksgiving:)

Anyway, that Christmas went fine and easy, but then I got on the Internet and started researching "Computerized Christmas lights". I ended up picking up a strange disease that is the cause of me posting this reply!

So last year I ended up purchasing 2 16 port D-light controllers and 4 8 port controllers as a project for my boys and I to assemble. We managed to put up 48 channels and 9 songs last year thanks to help online.

This year we finished some more controllers and took the channel count to 72 channels and about 35000 lights.

I already have plans to add songs and more controllers for next year to take the channel count up to 160 channels.

I need help!:giggle:

The strange part is that we live on the end of a dirt road in a more rural part outside of Phoenix. We do not get many cars driving by, but friends and family will sit outside on many a night with hot chocolates by a fire and watch the lights a visit. What a great way to spend some time relaxing.

Happy New Year everyone, and have a great time planning and buying for your 2010 show!

2010 is my first year. I have had static displays for a few years that have just gotten bigger each year. Last year we probably would have won the local contest but something went wrong with the mechanical timers that turned on all the circuits and it failed. We were gone that evening. This year we won the contest. We have done the show with the Mr Christmas boxes 2 of them) and had 15,000 plus lights and many other yard decorations including 20 inflatables. Going 16 channels next year. We live in a small town and had two local papers do stories this year. We had a steady stream of cars every night so I am sure that next year we will get lookers. We will do a drive for the local food bank and have a cash box mounted for a local charity. I will get preseason newspaper coverage around Thanksgiving about the charities so that should help get the viewers. My younger brother is the managing editor of both the local papers so I have no problem getting the coverage.

I am curious how you do a voice over. Could some one help there. ALso need advice as to how to put a video on u-tube.

Thanks

Old Man In Idaho

Hi THurrle, Welcome to PC!

I'm afraid that your questions might get buried, so I'll take a shot at answers and some advice . . .

As to voice overs, many here use The Demented Elf, a loyal PC member and vendor. The web site is http://www.thedementedelf.com/

As to posting to U-Tube, sorry I've not done it.

The reason that I'm afraid your questions might get buried, is that this particular thread is very general "Anyone else new this year?" Some people don't read those kind of general threads or if they are short on time, may prioritize them lower and they get forgotten. Try posting one question per thread, spend some time to find the most appropriate

forum to post it in, and I think you will have plenty of responses!

The other type of thread title that generally doesn't get a big response is simply a plea "HELP !!!" PC members don't know if they are interested or qualified to offer "help" and are unlikely to take the time to dig into it to find out.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I still consider myself new!

2 year ago I purchased a Mr. Christmas at Costco and hooked it up the day before Thanksgiving to trees at the very front of my house. I was amazed at how that dumb little box actually made the Christmas season seem longer. That is a good thing;)

In Arizona it is tough sometimes to get into the holiday spirit when it is still in the mid 70's at Thanksgiving:)

Anyway, that Christmas went fine and easy, but then I got on the Internet and started researching "Computerized Christmas lights". I ended up picking up a strange disease that is the cause of me posting this reply!

So last year I ended up purchasing 2 16 port D-light controllers and 4 8 port controllers as a project for my boys and I to assemble. We managed to put up 48 channels and 9 songs last year thanks to help online.

This year we finished some more controllers and took the channel count to 72 channels and about 35000 lights.

I already have plans to add songs and more controllers for next year to take the channel count up to 160 channels.

I need help!:giggle:

The strange part is that we live on the end of a dirt road in a more rural part outside of Phoenix. We do not get many cars driving by, but friends and family will sit outside on many a night with hot chocolates by a fire and watch the lights a visit. What a great way to spend some time relaxing.

Happy New Year everyone, and have a great time planning and buying for your 2010 show!

Welcome to PC and I like your sense of humor! With a join date of January 2010 and this being your first post, well it made me smile -- thanks!

I do understand that you have some experience with lights and it sounds like you're providing a festive Christmas for family and friends. I too live on a dirt road in a rural area. When I read some of the posts on PC about crowd control, vandals, neighbor problems, etc. it just reaffirms my belief that I'm okay not having TOO much traffic! Good Luck.

Thanks to all that got us into this. Our first year. Static lights are great, but this was so much fun. Bought 16 channel LOR then had to buy another 1.

32 channel 23k lights, home made candy canes and trees. My neighbor and I teamed up. Anyone else have a first year. Looking forward to July 4th.

We are new this year too! It was an absolute blast!!!

Mike

This was my first year with LOR (32 channels were available) but not all used. I started looking at the PC forums a few years ago. Three seasons ago I had well over 30 inflatables in my display and a few blowmolds but very few lights. Two years ago I still used many inflatables, but I added Mr. Christmas 6 channel box but I wasn't thrilled with the music when I heard and saw the TSO video's on YouTube. So for 2008 I had purchased 128 channels of LOR and I had been just stocking up of whatever lights I could find after Christmas for the last few years, so I spent many waking hours in June, July, August, planning in my mind how things were going to look. I started programming a few songs and everything was going well......I was set for 2008.

Unfortunately I had done all my programming on a portable hard drive, but in the past, I had never lost anything, so I never considered backing up my work. Well the night I was trying to hook up to my controllers wirelessly (I just figured magically everything would just work together) I could not get the light linkers to communicate with the controllers, so I was just going to hook up with a network cable to be sure everything would work, I knocked over my portable hard drive in my haste and it just broke.......hours of programming just gone.

After I got done being mad, I went out and just purchased a 12 channel box that I could use with my iPod, so I could at least have my own music.....my 2008 display looked pretty good, all things considered, and I even won a award from my townships Christmas light show contest for the most mucical & animated display.

I sold off a few LOR controllers on eBay to help generate some seasonal cash, I figured I would replace them at the summer sale, but I did't replace them.....I no longer had a passion to use LOR.....I was settling for the 12 channel (actually 6).

Never programmed anything in July, August.....I did totally prepare a older computer to be my Christmas computer (I had sent the Link Linkers back to LOR) that I would keep in the basement......Then as time went by, I just figured I would use the gemmy with my iPOd again this year, so I sold another LOR controller on eBay.

Then just a few weeks before Thanksgiving, I plugged my lights in the gemmy and played some TSO from my iPod and I watched the lights do almost nothing when they should have been having a major event.......so for the next few weeks, I spent all of my free and some of my sleep time programming musical senquences to play on 32 channels of LOR.

Considering not having a real plan, it turned out pretty good, and the cars out front, and the compliments from neighbors, friends, family & strangers have given me my passion back......with all the things that went wrong in 2008, just the oppisite was true in 2009.....so many blessings.

So I still have another 16 channel LOR controller that I have never opened, and I am figuring I need at least another 48 channels to complete my 2010 plans. So I am thinking I will have 96 channels, a few arches, a bunch of mini trees, I may try a Murphy fan, and many lights in bushes and exsisting trees.

New to animated lights myself.2009 was my 1st year.Nothing special.A couple of cars stopped by to see my display at the beginning and it got busier and busier even after Christmas.

I don't want too much traffic.Ideally, I would like to have 1 car every half hour, that's it.:cool:

Owen

2010 is also going to be my first year, I am in the process right now of sequencing several of Midnight Syndicates' awesome gothic style music for my 2010 Halloween Display and also working on my Christmas 2010 display as well, already have Wizards in Winter, Carol of the Bells and Frosty the Snowman close to being done. Actually WIW is done, I downloaded the sequence from the LOR site and then added the music and tweaked it for my 16 channel controller.

I'm currently at 16 channels, but keep hoping I can get to 32 channels (or more) long before October 2010, of course that means doing some additions and major re-tweaking of what I've already done. But I'm up to that challenge, if and when it happens.

Seems the more I sequence, the more apt I am to run out of channels before I run out of lights or display elements! Anyone else have that problem too?:giggle:

Before I actually got the hardware to actually see all this in action, well, I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult than it turned out to be. Now I won't say it's less work, if anything it's going to be a bit, hmmmm, let me rephrase that, a *LOT* more work. I was and have been using a Wireless Mr. Christmas unit for the last 2 years, but the change to LOR and the extra work to use music I like is the key to making a display to my satisfaction.

It may not be as fantastic as many I have seen from other PC members here, but hopefully, in time, I'll be right up there with these guys in the future with an ominous display.

I'm pretty sure this being my first year and run with LOR isn't going to be anywhere near as spectactular as a lot of the folks here, but I'm going to give it my best shot with what I've got to get the show up and running!

BTW: the wireless Mr. Christmas is going to try and be utilized on my vehicle. Not sure how that will work out, or if it will work since I need 5 outlets to plug everything into, 4 wireless controllers and the main sending box. If it doesn't, I'm thinking maybe using it in the back yard for a little personal display around my pond area. Or I may just offer it up for sale, I'm still thinking about that too.

Edited by LOR-CF

I'm pretty sure this being my first year and run with LOR isn't going to be anywhere near as spectactular as a lot of the folks here, but I'm going to give it my best shot with what I've got to get the show up and running!

LOR-CF,

Keep in mind that no one watching your display will have anything to compare it to. They will be amazed by your display and you can be proud of what you accomplish without feeling you are competing with anyone(unless the guy down the street starts also). You are not competing with anyone, this is a hobby and as such you should only do what you and your family wants and enjoy the ride.

I started this hobby because my family always wanted me to put up Christmas lights and I always did, a little reluctantly, until they were up. Carson Williams' display was my first introduction into this hobby and I was hooked. Now my family is really into the decoration and my wife purchased over 48,000 lights to add to our 33,000 light display. I am having electricians come and upgrade my electrical panel this summer.

I now have 144 channels available, but my display will never win any of contests here on PC because I don't think I can be creative enough or afford the massive amounts of lights of others here. However, that doesn't mean that my family and neighbors can't enjoy what I create. Have fun and don't try to compete with anyone except yourself from year to year.

A brother in the madness,

LOR-CF,

Keep in mind that no one watching your display will have anything to compare it to. They will be amazed by your display and you can be proud of what you accomplish without feeling you are competing with anyone

This is so true, when I finally got my lights on and I saw them flashing, I wasn't all that impressed......because I was comparing my display to all the awesome ones I have seen here and on youtube.

But friends, family and neighbors were just in awe of my display......that actually made me more impressed and happy with it myself.

WRWooten

Wooten's Christmas Lights.

I watched you guys from a far and read every thing about ya'll for three years. yes I am a southerner. I had static displays for many years. In 2008 I bought a Gemmy Light show, I ran 300+/- song on a lap top. Even bought the Whole house transmitter. I even bought another gemmy after that christmas to total my channels to 24, but I never used it. I turned around and bought 3 boxes from Wowlights. We bulit a mega tree, shooting stars, 20 mini trees, 4 arches, 2 live trees. and let our neighbor have one of my Gemmy's and i used other gemmy as background for the Show.

10 songs and a different FM Transmitter That get out about 1/2 mile. With about 30000 lights, my neighbor had 10000. He used my music with his show. The Lights did dance and the people are still talkin about our lights. My wife and I really enjoyed all this. :121_reindeer:

Now the plan is to increase to 112 channels next year and we have already bought extra lights. Old songs are being reworked and new song are on the list to be work on.

Yes ya'll taugh me well I started last Feburary and on Thanksgiving day I saw it all come to life. What a rush.

WR Wooten, Pikeville NC.

Ya'll have created another Newbie ( Monster ) Thanks for the memories.

I am. Tday I finished my first 16 channel sequence. I actually had a guy send me a 32 channel and I cut it down and put it into the display I would have for 16 channels. I am probably going to go 32 but I wanted to see if I could do one. Basically all I had to work with was the beat track and drew the rest in. Took me the better part of the last three days to do it but I think it is going to look ok. Now for the next one.

I am. Tday I finished my first 16 channel sequence. I actually had a guy send me a 32 channel and I cut it down and put it into the display I would have for 16 channels. I am probably going to go 32 but I wanted to see if I could do one. Basically all I had to work with was the beat track and drew the rest in. Took me the better part of the last three days to do it but I think it is going to look ok. Now for the next one.

I haven't done any sequences to music, but from what I understand, you did very well to complete it in 3 days. I've heard some people say they spend 40+ hours on one; although they, I think it was B_Regal18, have a lot more channels, they also have a lot more experience. Good job!

Thank you Mike. Like I said a person sent me a sequence and I took out 16 channels and put the rest to display I drew out on the animation screen. It was fun and I think I can do another now. One day I will write my own from scratch doing the beat and all. I was lucky some one would share it I am guessing.

I'm also new this year. Been lurking on the forums for a while, and finally decided to try it for 2009. We made the decision to computerize pretty late in the year...order went out to Light O Rama on Nov 6. Started small with 16 channels...we figured there would be ample opportunity to expand in the coming years.

A big thank you to all the participants on these forums...there is so much good information that is shared here. I doubt we could have gotten it done without all the helpful posts that we read.

Just got a video up on vimeo...let us know what you think.

http://www.vimeo.com/9115031

I'm also new this year. Been lurking on the forums for a while, and finally decided to try it for 2009. We made the decision to computerize pretty late in the year...order went out to Light O Rama on Nov 6. Started small with 16 channels...we figured there would be ample opportunity to expand in the coming years.

A big thank you to all the participants on these forums...there is so much good information that is shared here. I doubt we could have gotten it done without all the helpful posts that we read.

Nice job on the display! Haven't heard that song done before, so very creative. And welcome to PC.

You really kicked some a$$ with those 16 channels! Looks great and the song was rockin'!!!

09 was my 1st year sequencing.After watching that video, I have to say that you did an impressive job with your sequencing!Can't wait to see what you have planned for this coming year.:D

09 was my 1st year sequencing.After watching that video, I have to say that you did an impressive job with your sequencing!Can't wait to see what you have planned for this coming year.:D

Thanks, alfram and others, for the nice comments. Alfram, I thought you did a great job on your first year of sequencing, too. 12 days was really fun!

What's planned for this coming year...well, that brings up an interesting topic. I've been wrestling with how best to expand the display for 2010. First, I thought I was going to add a Merry Christmas sign like my friend Louie has a few blocks away. Then I was going to add a single leaping arch using LED's (one is all I could handle because of the LED cost). Then I was considering 8 mini trees...then firesticks, then rotating wreaths. All of these elements look really cool, but they eat channels like crazy. So what I think I finally settled on is 4 mini arches (4 sections a piece to keep the channel count down). I can dream up more stuff than I have channels, that's for sure!

I did add an album and 2 more videos if interested.

http://vimeo.com/album/175313

Lately, my wife stops by the computer to see what I'm doing, and the response is typically "oh, you're looking at that Christmas stuff AGAIN?!?!"