Artificial Snow & small effects snow machine

Hello! yesterday we were at Universal Studio's in Hollywood CA and I noticed that they had a neat looking snow affect all over the park. I had touched it and it felt like a fabric not powder. I am hoping to add this to my display next year but need to find out if anyone knows of a name and where to purchase this? It is very easy for clean up as in the tree I could brush it off or vacuum.

Also, I had experienced small snow machines on the top of the buildings that were blowing snow or an effect that resembled snow. I had always wanted to do bubbles but didn't want the mess. I believe the snow machines would be a hit with my display.

If anyone can tell me any information and with their experience they have used these items I would like to hear.

thanks a bunch! Merry Christmas!!!

Kathie,

I use the snow "blankets" that people use for their indoor displays.

For me the key has been to put down some white "trench liner" first, then put the snow blanets ontop. The trench liner can be found at your local Home Depot, it's normally near the wide diameter PVC pipe. Other hardware stores should carry this as well.

I am using 2 snow machines that use a bubble mix and they are a HUGE hit with the kids. They go crazy when the sequence turns them on.

Brian,

What snow/bubble machines do you use? I think I'd like to add it to next years display if it's not too expensive.

Thanks, Cindy

With the snow machines do you have to use bubbles? I am not sure if the bubbles with hurt any of my Christmas display since alot of it is wood. When I was at Universal Studio's it really looked like a fake snow. It didnt blow out alot but it gave you the effect that it was snowing.

We use wood cutouts extensively in our display and they have suffered no adverse affects with the snow machine. The cutouts are sealed with two coats of polyurethane, but I don't think that would make a difference if only a good quality exterior paint were used either.

I jsut ordered a smal bag of this instant snow stuff- you add water and it blows up into snow- reusable..I wanna try it out before I buy a boatload of it...

That stuff is very cool, and looks and feels very snow-like (and I'm a Minnesotan and know my snow :) )

The downside is it's very expensive to use in any quantities. While it's "reusable" you would be hard pressed to re-use it in an outdoor display, since, like real snow, it would most likely get dirty very quickly and it would be all but impossible to clean.

You do have to keep this stuff moist for it to "work".

Oddly enough, a similar compound is used in disposable diapers to absorb liquid. I once sacrificed a diaper, and sure enough, there was white powder inside, but it didn't work quite as well as the "artificial snow" I had seen demonstrated at the MN State Fair, so it must be a slightly different composition.

-Tim

Edited by tfischer

That stuff is very cool, and looks and feels very snow-like (and I'm a Minnesotan and know my snow :) )

it didn't work quite as well as the "artificial snow" I had seen demonstrated at the MN State Fair, so it must be a slightly different composition.

-Tim

Isn't demonstrating artificial snow in Minnesota like trying to sell ice to an eskimo?:giggle:

I should be nice though; I spent three years in Duluth compliments of the USAF. Thoroughly enjoyed the winters, once I became climatized. Was stationed there in July and think I was the only person wearing a heavy coat in the middle of summer. But then, I went directly to MN from Southeast Asia monsoon weather.

Isn't demonstrating artificial snow in Minnesota like trying to sell ice to an eskimo?:giggle:

Sort of :) But they were selling it for indoor villages and stuff like that :giggle:

I should be nice though; I spent three years in Duluth compliments of the USAF. Thoroughly enjoyed the winters, once I became climatized. Was stationed there in July and think I was the only person wearing a heavy coat in the middle of summer. But then, I went directly to MN from Southeast Asia monsoon weather.

Duluth's a bit cooler than Minneapolis, especially in the spring. In the mid 90's I used to listen to a radio station that was out of Duluth but had a translator here in the cities. In May, they'd give the forecast something like "Currently 72 degrees in Minneapolis, 43 here in Duluth..." ;) I thought they warmed up by July though!

Edited by tfischer
Guest Lightzilla

I am glad I live in Edmonton Alberta and not Minnesota as it seems they get to much snow. I know we get cold here. 3ft of snow all the winter season is o k by me. Minnesota might get 36inches of snow in one dump. I do not wish (-46.2c) weather on anyone like we get up here.....that is (-49F)....no one looks at Christmas lights when it is that cold.

Anyhow have you ever gone to a Ducks hockey game? Why not get a few truck loads of ice cleaning stuff dumped on your yard on Christmas eve?

It did not snow here one year and the Government of Alberta spent $10,000 and bought in snow for the government center. lasted here a long time since it was cool just no snow.

Ok- I recieved my "snow in secioonds" yesterday and I have started to play with it..Im not sure how to keep it hydrated on inside dosplays- I guess with a spray bottle but hten my other items would get wet! It would be cool outside but like hubby said it would get other types of debris in it..my response..well, snw does get dirty and has debris in it..so Im not sure if Im going to invest in large quantities...maybe more research and Ill let you know!