First Year Video Help??

Ok, so I have (what I think to be) a nice JVC harddrive camera to take my videos with. With my yard being so wide I will most likely shoot,stop,shoot,stop and so on until I get the entire display then just paste them together (as best as possible) I guess my biggest question is how to edit the music over the video I shot.

Thanks for any help gang.

I have seen folks mention about taking a radio (is yours being broadcast??) and turning it up real loud while you are taping. Then take Movie Maker and drop in the mp3 of the song. When the "echo" goes away with the video audio...then it is lined up. Mute the video audio. I never could get it to work for me...but maybe you can.

Good Luck!!!

Fingers Crossed that the wx doesn't get to bad for us on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.

Robert

Ok, so I have (what I think to be) a nice JVC harddrive camera to take my videos with. With my yard being so wide I will most likely shoot,stop,shoot,stop and so on until I get the entire display then just paste them together (as best as possible) I guess my biggest question is how to edit the music over the video I shot.

Thanks for any help gang.

I used AVS Video Editor (available for download AVS4you.com). It is GREAT and very simple. You import your camera file, mute the audio, import your original audio file (the one you used for sequencing), match the two files by dragging the audio file forward or back in time in relation to the video file (sounds much harder than it is). Save the file in virtually any video format. Wala! New video with great sound. I used it to put my sequenced audio over a video presentation that I then reselected as the media file in LOR. Then projected it in my display. You can put any audio over any video. (No I am not associated with AVS, but I am a believer). Learning time is only a couple of minutes.

i use windows moviemaker. I have a video capture card to get the video from my camera to the computer. The I import the Audio file which is .wav or mp3 format. If you have audio there already you can line up the waveforms and also listen and minimize the echo. You'll never notice a small echo when you delete the original. Once you done you can save the file in different file sizes.

You can either use a boombox radio as you're videotaping to get the audio into the microphone on the camera (assuming you're broadcasting on FM), or what I do is use a walkman-style FM radio and run a male-to-male cable from the headphone jack output to the microphone input on the camcorder. The menu on the camcorder even has a feature on my Canon HV20 to attenuate the audio by about 20db to make up for the headphone signal being put into the mic input. It works great!

I take more than 1 shot of the display (all the way through in different locations) and then line up the shots in the video editing software on top of one another before muting the camera audio and replacing it with the original .wav sound file.

I hope that helps...

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add to this even though it's too late (maybe for next year). I have been involved in video for years now. This is how I shot my first year display:

I used a Decent camera, a Sony HDR-FX1 HD camera, and turned off auto focus. I didn't adjust the Exposure, but I think I will experiment next year.

Then I shot the entire sequence 3 times from 3 different angles.

I used Premier Pro's Multi-Camera editing tool and synced all 3 videos. Then it was just a matter of selecting which shot I wanted to use at what time by clicking on them while it played.

I synced in the original MP3 file of the music, added some cross-fade transitions and added titles.

I could have also just set up a single timeline and manually edited it, but this worked a lot faster.

There is a picture of Multi-Camera below showing the three angles and how it looks when selecting the shot to use, you simply click on the shot and it puts it out in edited format.

Lots of up-front set-up but easy to edit once it's set up.

-Al-

multi.jpg

I'll add to this even though it's too late (maybe for next year). I have been involved in video for years now. This is how I shot my first year display:

I used a Decent camera, a Sony HDR-FX1 HD camera, and turned off auto focus. I didn't adjust the Exposure, but I think I will experiment next year.

Then I shot the entire sequence 3 times from 3 different angles.

I used Premier Pro's Multi-Camera editing tool and synced all 3 videos. Then it was just a matter of selecting which shot I wanted to use at what time by clicking on them while it played.

I synced in the original MP3 file of the music, added some cross-fade transitions and added titles.

I could have also just set up a single timeline and manually edited it, but this worked a lot faster.

There is a picture of Multi-Camera below showing the three angles and how it looks when selecting the shot to use, you simply click on the shot and it puts it out in edited format.

Lots of up-front set-up but easy to edit once it's set up.

-Al-

multi.jpg

Very nice!

I will have to check that out for my videos next year.

Congrats!