Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
gemba

Any new decorating ideas...

Let me say that I don't have that big of a creative bone in my body. I have two sets of leaping arches, a mega tree, a deer, two sets of twigs, and my house lit up. I am currently use 80 channels. I have another box that I am not using but I am leaning towards mini trees next year for that. Or I might look into decorating the high game fence that holds the deer in my back yard. I am looking for something to do with my left over box. What is the next leaping arches idea out there? What should I do with the leftover box? I have a year to plan but I would like to buy the lights!

I was thinking of adding a train, but then lots of people have them. What Christmas cartoon has the guy riding around in a half tracked mail truck with ski's on the front? That is what I want driving around my yard next season.

I was thinking of adding a train, but then lots of people have them. What Christmas cartoon has the guy riding around in a half tracked mail truck with ski's on the front? That is what I want driving around my yard next season.

Is this what you're referring to? It's from Santa Claus is Coming to Town...

post-7721-129571183917_thumb.jpg

One of my elements is two pair of arches, 9 channels each. Next year I'm adding fans under each, also 9 channels each and alternating red-green. I'm also gonig to add Rich Holdmans snowflake chain down the center of my house front and probably turn my mega tree center shaft into a fire stick. So I'll end up with 3 more elements to light in the same amount of space.

Lenny

Guest Lightzilla

L Or I might look into decorating the high game fence that holds the deer in my back yard.

Do you run a deer game farm or whats that all about?

Make 2 8 channel fire sticks, or shooting poles, or anything thing else you want to call them. Starting to become more and more popular. Actually you could wrap the center pole of your mega tree with a 16 channel fire stick. Looks cool when you use red, kinda like fire shooting up the pole.

Folks are starting to get into the fireworks display these days as well.

I have ideas for 2010 but they won't be posted here until they come reality.

Those are all great ideas! Thanks!

Zilla,

The high game fence was an attempt to raise trophy whitetails. Still trying to figure out how to reduce the deer stress so trophies will be raised here one day.

Gary:

No winch. It's not a mega, mega tree like some are. 16' from top to bottom, so I can hook the lights from a 10' step ladder on the top hub easily. It's a perfect height for our house which is a ranch with the peaks at about 14'.

Lenny

Gary:

No winch. It's not a mega, mega tree like some are. 16' from top to bottom, so I can hook the lights from a 10' step ladder on the top hub easily. It's a perfect height for our house which is a ranch with the peaks at about 14'.

Lenny

Those are good ideas Lenny. I will be adding at least a 20' megatree next year, maybe up to 40'. I will be also adding some mini trees. I have an idea for a new years show too, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. Nothing new that has never been done though.

I am thinking of adding a Mickey Mouse song for next year and if I do I am going to put at least one Mickey Mouse head dancing around on the house. I think it would add a nice touch.

That is a really cool looking display. That is close to what I want to do but only on my roof. Maybe even add some of his friends too.

around here 2010 will bring the newest super ultra mega tree. It will be using 136 channels... if I say any more I'd have to shoot you :D

around here 2010 will bring the newest super ultra mega tree. It will be using 136 channels... if I say any more I'd have to shoot you :D

WOW!!!!!!!! Philip that is going to be some kind of Mega Tree.. I was given a commercial mega tree ploe for free that is 40' tall. I will not have the funds to put the amount of channels on it as you are going to use but what would you say I should use on it for 1 color? How should I cut it into slices?

the real kicker is that the tree will only be 18' tall ;)

(if I can't wrangle enough controllers out of the wife, I'll have to keep the tree at 120 channels instead)

I have what I call my "SuperStar". It is sort of an expansion on the mega tree. I made one out of rope lights 2 years ago, it is on youtube if you search for "Superstar christmas light show"

I am now making a similar SuperStar using 12 Cosmic Color Ribbons. It is pricy but it will be way cool.

looks like all the parts are finally coming together, I just need more controllers

anyways, another friend told me that sharing ideas makes you more likely to hold yourself to them, so I'm doing just that

this will be an 18' standard 3 color spinning mega tree with topper and strobes

I'm adding a firefly to the center pole for some added directionality

plus there will be an additional 42 channels of ropelight attached to form a GIANT spiral tree around the entire 18' mega tree structure.