Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
bmichael

Six Words

We have a few strands popped off the mega trees, and a couple of arches laying on the ground, but still praying that we make it through! My big worry is my tight-wrapped bradford pears falling over. That would be bad.

Hope your display can be recovered.

I don't think I am running mine tonight.

Very bad winds.

I don't know how much damage yet but it is getting beat up pretty bad.

I've been running my display all day. I had to rescue my mega tree base ring a couple of times, but after about half a roll of duct tape I think I've got it secure. Most of my wireframes have a very distinct southward lean but other than that I think my display is OK.

Brian, I hope you can recover your display!

Stillwater made it through pretty well. I don't think we experienced the winds the rest of you had to deal with. Snow is over and the display made it through OK.

I sincerely hope your damage can be easily and quickly repaired.

I had a couple of my 6' trees over on the ground, but with much success I got them up and they made it the rest of the night. Mega tree didn't budge. Hope everyone else is this lucky.

Merry Christmas

About the only problen we had was blowmolds blowing over. We were supposed to have Christmas at our house this year but no one showed up because of the weather.

Didn't see much point in running the show last night- no traffic at all, so I shut the show down for the night and sat at the computer and started synchronizing for next year.

I am shut down until the snow melts. I may be done for the year. Snow drifts 3 ft high covering my yard lights. Thinking about next year now. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Because I live in a swamp (I think of MP and the Holy Grail often) when I started digging through the snow to uncover my inflatables I was quickly reminded of all the rain we received right before that snow. When the water freezes it will take a jack hammer to get my inflatables up. I can't decide if I should try it tonight or not. Do you'all think there will be any sane drivers looking at lights tonight? Of course PC'ers don't count...we're all insane and proud of it.

I have drifts covering my radio sign and snoopy and halfway up my wireframes so I won't bother running tonight either. I almost fell off my roof last Saturday night. Where did the frost come from? I had 1 set of roof leds that if it gets super cold the wire breaks connection and turns off the entire string. I had marked my furring strip where the offending bulb was as you could twist it and make it work the rest of the evening. My brother was due there in 2 minutes so I ran out to check the display and sure enough it had just decided to go out. I had a flashlight in my hand but didn't turn it on yet as I knew approximately where the bulb was and people were watching the show. I made 2 steps off of the ladder and then started sliding backward. I fell forward and discovered my roof was covered in frost. I thought if I could kick off my shoes I could get better traction but as soon as I lifted 1 foot I started sliding toward the edge. I flipped over and grabbed the top of the ladder ala Clark Griswold and started to ride the ladder over like a pole vault to lessen my fall. Then realized the house next door was too close and I would smash into it. I leaned back to reverse direction which made the ladder pin me against the roof. I stayed like that until my brother arrived to hold the ladder while I tried to get on the right side of it. If you look at my Macarena video shot the next morning you can see the frost that was invisible Saturday night. I am just glad no one had a camera filming me. Sunday I cut out the troublesome bulb and spliced in a replacement:D Search keitha43 at vimeo or youtube to see all my Christmas and Halloween videos. There are a few more on vimeo as youtube deletes some.

Edited by keitha

I just unpluged all of the main power cords yesterday when we got home,after me and my dad dug the car out after he came home.Me and my mom pulled in the driveway and got stuck lol.But yea ours is shut down till it melts,most of our stuff is buried,the mini trees beside the driveway only has like 6 inches sticking out.Its that way all the way across the yard,so yea the speakers,the trees everything is buried.Quit disapointing being christmas eve is when you wanna run it.

Brian,

Hope you were able to get you display back together.

Has everyone dug out from the snow?

I have everything back up and running,. Even made it up the second floor roof today.

Traffic was slow last night, just about 1 car at a time. Tonight so far 2-3 cars at a time.

Edited by mestalights

Well, our display is completely repaired, but due to my layout, we can't really run the show. I have to be able to have people park in the field in front of my house, and drive through another 'off road' section to leave. That's not really going to happen in the near future.

We're hoping that we may have a few last days, but the snow may have killed us for the season.

I got my show running again last night. I can't believe I didn't trip any GFI's. I guess my decision to seal off every open femail end with duct tape has helped after all. Last year I had GFI's tripping if it got foggy. This year quite a few connections are still under snow and worked fine last night. I have 1 controller I am going to try to raise higher today as there is a puddle forming below it and it was within an inch of being high enough to touch the seams where the cords meet the plugs. I dug out the drifts in front of my radio sign and snoops but my bushes are still half blocked but it is enough as my back is killing my from shoveling. I am glad I don't live in a northern state. I think I would have to get a different hobby if I had to deal with this every winter.

Just found this post.

My display managed pretty good. I lost 4 fence panels but didn't effect my lights. A couple of snowflakes on the roof moved on me but set them back in place. I was proud that my mega tree and lights handled the 60mph gust winds.

My radio sign blew over but that was a simple fix.

Now if I can just get the newspaper boy to quit throwing the morning paper at it, I'll be just fine.

All of my mini-trees were leaning towards the south, other then that I will count myself very lucky. I didnt run the show Christmas eve or Christmas due to most of the display being under snow. I think last night was the first time someone braved the street I live on to watch the show. I might run the show a few extra days, I normally have tonight be my last night.

What is everyone else doing? Are you shutting down tonight? Or are you going to leave the shows running a few extra days?

I think tonight will be my last night. Hardly anyone is out looking because of the road conditions. I am letting my show run until 12:01am tonight.

Tonight was the last night for for this season. Sad but a relief...... making plans and looking forward to next years display. And of course the OK mini! Now I just have to dig everything out of the snow and ice.

Had to replace a set of fuses last night. It was the only set I have had to replace this season. Never popped a GFI this season even since most of my electrical cords are still under snow on the ground. This has been my most trouble free year. I think duct taping all open female ends really helped. This breakdown will take a lot longer due to the snow and I think I will try to get a light count as I am tearing down. Maybe an extension cord measurement too.

I like the lights under the snow look. We had no problems but I did find a bunch of foot prints in the snow all through my display. I am really looking forward for next year.