My lights in Hampton Virginia

Well it's not big or nothing fancy but it's the most lights I have seen in my neighborhood. I took some video and pictures after the snow and just put it on You tube. Sense it's not to many lights I keep it running 24/7 and usually shut it down the day after New Year's. I am here in Hampton Virginia on Todd's Lane close to the Main Street end.

Thanks for looking.:santasmileyitty:

Sam

in Hampton Virginia

Ooooooooh, you guys are making me homesick!! I lived in Hampton 11yrs, on Long Bridge, just off Fox Hill. I was commuting out to Phoenix each week for 4 yrs (airline pilot) so I had to mov the family out here.. Yer displays look great! 'Miss the area a lot.. :(

And I thought the commut to ODU from VB was bad... How long ago did you leave?

I got on with America West Airlines in '96, did a week on/week off until 'March '99, after that only made it home 2 days a week.. thats why the move out west in Sept '99. Really miss the area.. The folks out there(Hampton) did a lot more display than the areas I'm in(Phoenix)..

You guy's lights look great! Carry on!

Amen to that Sam! Planning for 2010 Christmas is about the only thing that keeps me out of counseling once Christmas is over. Great job on the display--it's addicting, isn't it? Like many of my fellow Christmas Crazies in the 757, I am looking forward to the Mini Plus this summer.

• 2 months later...

Well I got a weird phone call today and thought I would post it hear and get some feed back on what I should do. This guy calls the house today on the phone and my 79 year old Mom answers the phone and some guy is rambling on about something but she doesn't understand him so she gives the phone to me. The guy sounds like he's drunk and has no teeth and he starts rambling about he's behind on his bills and he's had some kind of a rash and hasn't been able to work and then he says he came by my house Christmas Eve to look at my lights. I was having a Christmas Eve party and had many family and friends over. He claims he asked if it was ok to look at my lights. I don't remember him but maybe as their was a lot going on that night. Then he says some lady, maybe his wife, not sure as he wasn't very clear and I never got his name said she fell down on my property and got hurt, didn't say what she hurt, and he took her to the hospital to be treated. Today was the first time I have heard anything about this. He said he told them at the hospital where it happened and gave them my address and he now wants my Homeowners Insurance info and threatens me with a Law Suite. I am dumbfounded as this is the first I have heard of this. If it did happen don't you think he should have told me and called 911 if someone got hurt. Why would he wait 71 days before calling me. I told him I was sorry but I don't know you or anything about this and I cant help you. He then said he should come to my house and kick my *** and he was recording the phone call. I told him to bring it over and I would call the Police and he then hung up on me. I still don't even know his name. So what do you think? I got to tell you it has upset me and my family. I guess their nothing I can do for now. I have lived here now for 14 years and never had anything like this happen. I guess I'll have to put up no trespassing signs and forget about Christmas Lights from now on.:(

Sam

in Virginia

Sounds to me like they are just trying to shake you down. I don't think they have, excuse the expression, a snowball's chance in hel*. They have no proof, like you said, you don't remember them, and this is coming in over two months after the fact. If it was a legitimate claim, they would have called the police. The would have filed a report. They should have called an ambulance the instant it happened. I doubt this guy ever came to your house. Our displays are a very public thing and he probably is just calling trying to shake you down, hoping you don't want trouble and will cave and pay him. DONT. He'll be back for more. It worked the first time right? My advice would be to call the police. Give them the man's name and number, if you have it, and tell them he threatened you. He can be charged with extortion, making terrorist threats, I'm not sure, but the phone may add additional charges, possible federal. I'm not a legal expert but I know our city made a big issue out of scooping your walks this year with all the snow and ice we had. A couple of legal eagles got involved and the conclusion was you are not liable, as a property owner, if someone falls on your sidewalk. The sidewalk is in the public right of way and the storms we had fall under an "act of God" clause. Get the coppers involved as soon as possible. You want to be proactive, not reactive. My guess is one little chat with a detective and this idiot changes his whole tune. My guess is, your also probably not the only person he has done this to.

Edited by magii

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add he said he took pictures of my display but I have it on Youtube too and he said he told them at the hospital where it happened and gave them my address but if this did really happen he should have came to my door and told me what happened right then if it really did happen. I don't know his name but he said the lady's name was Norma Gene and we all know who she was not saying their are not others with that name but the hole thing smells fishy to me. I tried calling star 69 to get the phone number but it said it was a privet number.

Sam

in Virginia

Like I said, I would guess he saw you on YouTube and never even came to the display. If they went to the hospital, there should be a doctor's report. You can tell them anything you want, they may or may not note the location in the report. It doesn't matter. Putting it in a report doesn't make it true. In order to make a claim on your insurance, they would have to have concrete proof, not only that they were hurt, that they were hurt at your house, and that they were hurt because you were willfully negligent. None of these things are going to happen. Call the police, get them involved, and if he calls back, tell him you have filed a report and the detective would like to speak with him. You'll never hear from him again. People like this aren't looking to go through the process, they only want a few quick bucks from someone who doesn't put up a fight. Don't let yourself be victimized. And there are NO private numbers when the police look. ;)

Edited by magii

Just to be safe call your insurance company and let them know then call the police and inform them of the call. If he calls again just tell him to call the police department and they would tell him how to contact your insureance company. Don't give him you insurence companys name or number, the police will come by and get that if needed. I had something like this happen at one of me gas/store locations a few years ago, after I told them to call the police I never heard from them again.

Edited by Roger

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add he said he took pictures of my display but I have it on Youtube too and he said he told them at the hospital where it happened and gave them my address but if this did really happen he should have came to my door and told me what happened right then if it really did happen. I don't know his name but he said the lady's name was Norma Gene and we all know who she was not saying their are not others with that name but the hole thing smells fishy to me. I tried calling star 69 to get the phone number but it said it was a privet number.

Sam

in Virginia

I think this is just some idiot trying to get under your skin, don't let him and don't let them cancel your 2010 Christmas Display, If his wife tripped in the edge of your yard there is a rule about public right of way which out in the country where I live is from the white line to the drain ditch, there is a certain footage for this you may need to ask someone else. But if he did give your address to a hospital I would call the hospital and see if this is legit.

I really don't think it holds up to anything unless the original persons affected filed a police report the day or few days after it happened or called the ambulance, there are some attorneys/lawyers on PC I hope someone sees this thread and comments, but I don't think the guy has a leg to stand on.

Also if he did block his number with *67 or if he has a Private Number if you remember the Date and exact Time of the call your phone company can trace the number back if indeed this does become a legal issue so keep it on record and don't let this Hick and his wife Norma Jean spoil your Christmassey spirit :D

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts, comments and advice in this matter. The guy hasn't called back yet so for now I'll just play it by ear and wait it out and see if anything ever turns up. I did call and talk to most of the people that was at my party, still got 2 to contact but so far no one remembers anyone unknown dropping by much less taking pictures or saying they fell down and got hurt. They all say the same thing that it sounds like a scam hoping I would make him a cash offer to keep from contacting my insurance company or going to court. So I will try and forget about it for now. If any thing new turns up I'll post it hear.

Thanks

Sam

in Virginia

I would write down the date and time he called and turn it over to the police. This guy can't make threats and get away with it. From the sound of your posts you are worried. Please contact the police and let them track this thug down.