Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
toozie21

Where to find gears and other items

Hey everyone. I have done the computerized (microcontroller) displays and wireframes, but now I want to move onto a motorized display. I have a plan for what I want to do, but I don't have much of a mechanical background. Where does everyone go to buy things like gears and chains (for the gears)? Also other sort of joints that will allow me to make small movements based off of rotating disks (I can't think of the term for what I want to do right now).

I am not sure if there are brick and mortor stores that sell this kind of stuff, or if I need to get a kit of various sizes online to get me started. Any tips/thoughts to nudge me in the right direction would be great!

In case someone is curious, I am thinking of making a small display that shows santa's workshop and have moving elves (with their backs to you) that saw and paint wooden blocks as they move down a conveyor belt (really three different conveyors).

~Jason

How about bicycle chains and gears for the larger stuff. It's cheap compared to the more industrial items. Do you have recycling centres in the USA? If so, that may be a good place to look for older / surplus equipment that contains gears.

I will check that website out, thanks. They look like they have a pretty good assortment.

Bike chains seem like a good choice. I guess the key with them is to make sure to get sprockets that have the proper teeth spacing to work with the chain.

How about for other mechanical items? I am thinking of something that can take the circular motion of the turning gear and turn it into a back-and-forth motion for the elf to simulate sawing. It would be some sort of double pivoting rod (don't have a better name for it). Is there a source for these types of things?

Also, would you guys recommend they dual pivot routine for simple back-and-forth stuff, or can a servo stand-up to the rigors of doing that 6 hours a night for a month every year?

Thanks for the help.

~Jason

Edited by toozie21

For back and forth motion, I'd probably use a slow turning wheel with a pin near the edge to attach the push rod. Just like a steam train. Yeah, I have no idea what you call it either! :giggle:

Any motor will work if you use a cam. This will give you the back and forth motion you are looking for. Here are some examples. I use wiper motors for most of my props.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=33060

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=31771

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=30378

This is a link to my winder video. It has an indexing arm so the cords don't wind in the same spot on the roll. If you watch carefully you can see how a crank arm and connecting arm work. The motor for the indexing arm is located under the black control box.

Thanks for the advice (and websites) everyone, that really helps!

Dano: That stuff looks great! My workshop is a similar concept, but will have the conveyor belt internal (and nothing will be wrapped). My plan is to have three conveyor belts and two elves with their backs to the viewer (the elves will be spaced so they block the ends/beginning of the conveyors). The belt on the one end will have a rough piece of wood that moves towards the one elf, that elf will look like it is sawing. Then the middle conveyor will have a nice piece of that is cut into a square moving towards the second elf who looks like he is painting. The third conveyor will have a finished block (the kind kids play with that have letters and numbers on the sides) and it will look like it is falling into santa's bag.

toymaker: I could see the arm, that makes a lot of sense. I don't think the arm movement will be really easy, but I think the thing I am most worried about right now is the conveyor. I thought it would be easy, but now I am not so sure. I figure each conveyor will be roughly a foot long, and they need to be synced up. I imagined a bike chain that encompasses all three conveyors and sprockets on all the wheels to keep things from slipping. But as I think more about it, I don't know how to make the wheels on the conveyor belt sturdy so the belt doesn't slip, yet allow the wooden blocks be attached to it.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks and have a great New Year!

~Jason