Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
theslamdunkking

Anyone else depressed?

Guest Lightzilla

I feel the same now as I did before Christmas down and happy at the same time. This is do for the most part in not having a steady full time job. I work but on and off and that has got me down.

Winter here could last up to the middle of May and even though the days are just beginning to get longer it does not help me at this time. My display is buried in snow and my display may end up, staying up for 3 or 4 months. I was thinking of making a few off season sequences and run the display until I can get the display taken apart.

Taking the display down does not bother me, it served its purpose and now it is time to let the other seasons have their turn.

I hope spring comes in March and not in May like usual. Last year it came in late March early April. That was a nice switch.

Edited by Lightzilla

This was the first year in at least 15 years where my candles and snowman didn't even get out of the storage closet. I hope I can make up for it next year, maybe get them some friends!

Guest A.F.NUT

This was the first year in at least 15 years where my candles and snowman didn't even get out of the storage closet. I hope I can make up for it next year, maybe get them some friends!

Hang around the blowmold forum we will take care of you! They will have so many friends by next year you will be amazed! Tom

Edited by A.F.NUT

I was having one of the worst Christmas times ever this year, being my first one alone. Then I get slammed by a forum member because I was wishing joy and happiness on Christmas day.
What.. that makes no sense :eek:
To get blasted by someone with a family and good normal life pumped my depression up a few notches. Why do some people have to be so rotten??
good question

I feel the same now as I did before Christmas down and happy at the same time.
I've had that before its a weird feeling...sorta like being both too hot and too cold at the same time

Taking the display down does not bother me, it served its purpose and now it is time to let the other seasons have their turn.

Sure seeing all those pretty colors go away is sad...but sorta like you mention there is a

point when "its time" LOL

--------------

I hate the physical taking down/testing/fixing/putting away... so very time consuming and

boring LOL

--------------

I can deff say that the short days (even in december affect me) LOL it'll really s uck

when/if i ever was to get rid of my houseplants & their lights

Guest Matilda

I was having one of the worst Christmas times ever this year, being my first one alone. Then I get slammed by a forum member because I was wishing joy and happiness on Christmas day. To get blasted by someone with a family and good normal life pumped my depression up a few notches. Why do some people have to be so rotten??

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. I truly truly am sorry that someone could be so horrible. I lost my dear father last month, and this Christmas has been a struggle for me also... I would have appreciated your tidings of joy and happiness. Thank you.

We have no explanation as to why some people are 'so rotten'... You can only try to find the good ones and 'hang around' with them! :)

Best Wishes.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. I truly truly am sorry that someone could be so horrible. I lost my dear father last month, and this Christmas has been a struggle for me also... I would have appreciated your tidings of joy and happiness. Thank you.

We have no explanation as to why some people are 'so rotten'... You can only try to find the good ones and 'hang around' with them! :)

Best Wishes.

Thank you Matilda, I think it was just a big misunderstanding, it got worked out.

Yes it's very hard to have loved ones gone. I guess I have 'survivors guilt' because I am the only one left in my family. It helps with the struggle though because there must be a reason I'm still here, and I think I found out what it is :santasmileyitty:

Has something to do with Peace on Earth and good will :)

hi

i kinda look at it like this, this is my hobby i always look for blowmolds thats what keeps me going. i know it can be depressing or a let down after christmas, but for me i do this year round so it doesn't seem so depressing. for me there is always some to do with the hobby fixing, painting molds, planning for next year building display stands ect. i want to get into LORs this coming year. something to look forward to.

gary

I've never quite understood why people take their decorations down so early, especially given the effort we all put into putting them up, not to mention that Christmas is a "season", not just a day. And that season is not over until the "epiphany", aka, Three Kings Day, January 6th.

So postpone your depression and leave the decorations up for an extra week in the future.

It's dark out there tonight and it IS depressing. I don't have the tree down yet, it goes tomorrow. Have to get things back to normal and send the kids back to school. Which is depressing too lol. Atleast the days are getting longer.

i took all my inside stuff down a few days ago. i have to run back to the shed and back for all the boxes and totes and i just didnt want to do it when its 2 degrees out lol. but i did what TOm did and left the small trees up and left all the snowman and penguin decor i had to keep up a winter theme. my outside stuff is gonna be out for awhile the weather is not gonna clear up so not doing it lol

I know how you all feel. I always get depressed right after Christmas and then it gets worse when the lights go off and the yard is dark, so dark. Since my mom and grandma passed back in 04 the holidays have never been the same. I come from a big italian family and everyone went to my grandma's Christmas Eve, Day, New Years Eve, NY Day. It was so great, but after she passed andmom it all just stopped

. Being in GA and my entire family is back in PA makes it hard too. We haven't traveled up there for Christmas since we had our twins in 04 and they never, ever come here. I think that is why I get so sad.

I have been in GA for going on 11 years and my family has only been down 3 times. My dad/mom once befoe she died (3 months before), my older sister and her hubby once, and my oldest sister and her hubby once for a grand total of about 8 days. This yer my family reunited for our traditional family Christmas Eve dinner. I wished we could have been there.

I just push through and focus on next year and my own family to help cope.

You hit it right on the head Joey - Focus.

That's the answer to most of lifes problems ;)

I don't wan't to go into details but I am the last of my family. I do have 21 and 17 year old boys but no one else. All those loved ones, parents, wife and siblings all gone. How do I go on? Sometimes I'm not sure to tell you the truth but I do know that when I focus my attention on getting something accomplished, the other stuff just goes away. In fact, some would say I am obsessed with what I do but if that's what it takes, I don't have a problem with that.

Ya i get kind of depressed to, but doing the smaller holidays helps me, like i do valentines day, st pattys day and 4th of july because those give me something to do.

Guest CrazylightkidR.I.

I Feel Depressed too! my living room is so, BLAH now... :'-(

remember the cardinal rule...

its not the things you do at christmas-time its the christmas things you do all year through...

this dead of winter is a perfect time to work on the following year's display.. fix broken strings of lights now before you put them away, make repairs to display elements.. set down the designs, layouts, expansions and contractions of the new display....

because sooner than you know it will be spring and its real easy for time to get away in the spring / summer.. no one wants to sit inside during summer and sequence or wrap lights around mini trees in the basement, or write spreadsheets, etc.. but these cold winter months are perfect for doing that.. as well as any software / firmweare upgrades you need, changes to websites, and such....

that helps me get through the depression of cold weather and such.

-Christopher

Guest csx5861

--------------

I hate the physical taking down/testing/fixing/putting away... so very time consuming and

boring LOL

--------------

Don't know about the rest of you folks, but it seems no matter how much preparation I take to make sure the lights are ALL WORKING 100% when I put them away, as well as staying untangled from each other, the next year when I pull them out, what happens, burned out bulbs (don't have this with the L.E.D.'s just the incandescent stuff!) somewhere and then having to track it down and fix the darn thing, but it was working fine when I packed it away!

Light strings getting tangled together, well this year I'm trying a new approach, the net lights all got zip locked into seperate ziploc bags. For the basic single L.E.D. light strings, I took one large zip lock or zip tie and fastened it around each L.E.D. light string I plugged the male into the female and wrapped the cords, then put the zip tie over them, just loose enough the string can't unravel or the bulbs sneak through.

Hoping this will prevent the tangled mess that occurs every year when I pull my lights out for the season! At least with L.E.D.'s I've never broken an L.E.D. unravelling a string of them, incandescents? Ha! I'd end up breaking anywhere from as few as 2 to 10 bulbs or even more trying to unravel them, something I definitely DID NOT miss this last year in 2009!

So give me L.E.D. strings any time over incandescents! No broken glass or shattered bulbs to pick up or try and pull out of a socket!

Clay in Orlando, FL

Guest showtime

remember the cardinal rule...

its not the things you do at christmas-time its the christmas things you do all year through...

this dead of winter is a perfect time to work on the following year's display.. fix broken strings of lights now before you put them away, make repairs to display elements.. set down the designs, layouts, expansions and contractions of the new display....

because sooner than you know it will be spring and its real easy for time to get away in the spring / summer.. no one wants to sit inside during summer and sequence or wrap lights around mini trees in the basement, or write spreadsheets, etc.. but these cold winter months are perfect for doing that.. as well as any software / firmweare upgrades you need, changes to websites, and such....

that helps me get through the depression of cold weather and such.

-Christopher

I agree with you Christopher!!! Time went by fast this year and it is the first year I gave my christmas display a 110% the hole year. Planning is everything and I will be spending all year doing this. Some get tired of hearing about christmas 24/7, not me I am all for it:) As for me I to get the blues when its all over. This year I hope people spend more so when it comes time for christmas there will be more christmas lights on the shelf! This year I went public with the news and local paper and raised toys for the little ones. The traffic was long and just brought joy to all that seen the display! Now this year I will be having fun comming up with new ideas.:)

I agree with you Christopher!!! Time went by fast this year and it is the first year I gave my christmas display a 110% the hole year. Planning is everything and I will be spending all year doing this. Some get tired of hearing about christmas 24/7, not me I am all for it:) As for me I to get the blues when its all over. This year I hope people spend more so when it comes time for christmas there will be more christmas lights on the shelf! This year I went public with the news and local paper and raised toys for the little ones. The traffic was long and just brought joy to all that seen the display! Now this year I will be having fun comming up with new ideas.:)

I find its real easy to make design changes now when new ideas are fresh in my mind.. so i get that down and get lights ordered and set down number of channels i'll use etc... then ill take a break in spring... not totally as i will use warm weather to test outside ideas and to build / paint stuff.. then in the fall I hit it super hards to tighten up loose ends and install the display and go Live!.. this way I dont burn out but I also dont get behind...

when the footballs start flying in the beginning of august I know its time to go into full gear for the display!

-Christopher

Edited by eldoradoboy

Guest Matilda

Tonight is the first night I did not turn on the display... my 20-month old is running from window to window, looking dismayed, and repeating 'UtOh... UtOh... UtOh...'

Poor little fella... :(

but these cold winter months are perfect for doing that.. as well as any software / firmweare upgrades you need, changes to websites, and such....

I agree fully.

At some point i need to finish updating my website (and add some new stuff)

There may be a big change to the display...I'm very undecided on things right now -

this could go any of 3 ways:

1) I'm thinking about is adding more channels...this would very likely mean building

all new controllers, and for sure would mean doing a major revision to my control

software. Really overall its something i'm not sure can be done. Its gonna take some

questions/research to figure out what'd be needed & if i can even do it :eek: but now's

the time to do it.....even tho xmas is a long way off.

2) This is basically the complete opposite of #1 - and is also a serious consideration

at this point - I might sell off a good portion of the lights i have (and thus greatly reduce

the display).

3) Sell some unused stuff & Just do nothing different as far as the display/computer

Don't know about the rest of you folks, but it seems no matter how much preparation I take to make sure the lights are ALL WORKING 100% when I put them away, as well as staying untangled from each other, the next year when I pull them out, what happens, burned out bulbs (don't have this with the L.E.D.'s just the incandescent stuff!) somewhere and then having to track it down and fix the darn thing, but it was working fine when I packed it away!

LOL Same here...

I take down the lights, Neatly bundle them & pile them all together...

Then when its all (or most of it) down...

Each set is tested, bad bulbs replaced, fixed if something simple...

(any set that has something 'bad' wrong with it like a broken wire or other physical damage

is dumped in my "junk" pile for repair at some later date...LOL the pile just grows there's

even new unused lights in it)

Then set is bundled properly (if needed) and in most cases placed in their factory boxes...

(For those i don't have the box, they go in copy paper boxes)

Then the boxes are put on their shelf (or stack) til next season.

i may have worked around the blues here. even though there still a LOT of snow and the ground and more to come. im hoping i can find some old blue lights and use the snowflake lights i got at walmart for $2.50 yesterday and put them on the porch.... take down all the santas the roof ones can stay thats just dumb lol. but leave a few snowmen out and deer. nothing really screams christmas with those things. then ill put them most of them where i already had molds so i dont have to move stakes around. Or just leave most where they are. but i plan to put my Poloron fawn on the porch my derby snowman and snowlady by the pole leave the rest were they are in the front yard because most are there anyway. but the sledding penguins will stay and ill have a winter theme :D you can steal that :giggle:

Guest A.F.NUT

Tonight is the first night I did not turn on the display... my 20-month old is running from window to window, looking dismayed, and repeating 'UtOh... UtOh... UtOh...'

Poor little fella... :(

Thats funny I was doing the same thing tonight! And the electric bill came today too, talk about depressed! Tom