Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Blowmold Magic

Stealing Ideas?

Guest A.F.NUT

So I have noticed a lot on the board this holiday season, The same thing over and over. I love your idea. I want to do that. Can I do that. Mind if I have permission to steal your idea. That kind of thing. And I saw quite a few things I plan to copy a little, but also make my own. So do we need to ask? Would people actually be upset if their ideas were copied? I figure once I post something, if someone likes it enough im glad to have given them the idea. They say copying is about the highest compliment something like that. I think this was a great year for display pics. A lot of creative and well planned displays. I know I saw atleast three that will be incorporated into next years design so thanks for the ideas! Hope nobody minds me stealing! So what does anybody else think? Tom

Guest Judd_Peiffer

i always figured once you post pictures your kinda giving permission to copy ideas......but i usually try to personnalize the ideas i steal....LOL! And this year it was deffiently a good year for displays and i've got acouple of ideas for next year....so thank you to everyone for setting me off to a good start for 2010!

justin:D

Hey, they can copy all they want.

It sure beats them coming over and stealing my controllers and display items. :giggle:

Actually you are right that it is a sincere form of flattery that someone would borrow an idea and use it for their display. Where would we be if no one was willing to help others out and it sparks the creative ideas of others to come up with that new idea that the rest of us may have overlooked or better ways to manage and maintain our displays.

This is the place that I get a lot of my ideas from in the first place although I certainly do have to mod things to get it to fit my space and display. I have come up with some great ideas for my display just by looking at others displays on her. And sooner or later the idea that someone comes up with it going to get out no matter what anyway.

It's all in good fun and for the joy of the season anyway right?

So I have noticed a lot on the board this holiday season, The same thing over and over. I love your idea. I want to do that. Can I do that. Mind if I have permission to steal your idea. That kind of thing. And I saw quite a few things I plan to copy a little, but also make my own. So do we need to ask? Would people actually be upset if their ideas were copied? I figure once I post something, if someone likes it enough im glad to have given them the idea. They say copying is about the highest compliment something like that. I think this was a great year for display pics. A lot of creative and well planned displays. I know I saw atleast three that will be incorporated into next years design so thanks for the ideas! Hope nobody minds me stealing! So what does anybody else think? Tom

I agree totally. I "Stole" the idea of covering the front of my house in lights from Ron Lister, and thank him every year for it. If someone decides to copy you, it must mean you are doing something right!!

bob

You know what they say "IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY"

If someone likes you idea, than you must be doing something right.

If you dont want someone to copy it.....my god dont post a picture of it on the internet :D

I agree Chris. I believe this is an obsession meant to be shared! If you post pictures, I take it as encouragement. If I post pictures, it's because I want to share. If people can take my idea, improve on it, make it their own, I am sincerely flattered. No credits needed.

I guess I have a little different view on this...

I think it's fantastic to "steal/share" ideas....BUT....

When someone has a really great creative idea and shares it... I think we should be respectful enough to allow them the first season with that special display item...don't run out the next day and make a carbon copy...don't steal their thunder...

People work on these displays all year and put a lot of time and love into coming up with new ideas...they are seeking to do something special that hasn't been done....I say let them have it for the first season and then flatter them the next season with your own recreation...

Take my ideas, please! Make them better, make them your own, and if anyone asks, say you saw some dude on Planet Christmas doing it. One (selfish) reason that I post pictures is that I KNOW some of my ideas will spread and now I have publicly declared them my own. Anyone that comes along later, c00L, I was still there first. It's Christmas, Peeps; let's all share!

I guess I have a little different view on this...

I think it's fantastic to "steal/share" ideas....BUT....

When someone has a really great creative idea and shares it... I think we should be respectful enough to allow them the first season with that special display item...don't run out the next day and make a carbon copy...don't steal their thunder...

People work on these displays all year and put a lot of time and love into coming up with new ideas...they are seeking to do something special that hasn't been done....I say let them have it for the first season and then flatter them the next season with your own recreation...

I would agree with Jen on this also. I have taken a couple of idea from PC. Although I do not have a mega display like others do, at display time of the year I do not have time to go out and get the materials to copy something, what with fixing lights that are out etc.

I spend more time fixing lights than I do anything else, it seems like.

I'm glad that you asked this question Tom. I was wondering the same thing and was feeling guilty about wanting to copy ideas that I've seen.

PC has the most talented people and their ideas and execution of their ideas is outstanding. Thank you to all of the talented people for posting your displays and inspiring me and others.

I love all the ideas I get from here. I haven't used anything yet but hope to in the future.

The only thing that makes me feel guilty is I never come up with anything unique that everyone can copy from me.

Don't worry though I'm still trying.

Dave

I really have no problem if someone uses an idea I've come up with. But I do agree with Jen..don't steal someone's thunder.

I've seen others use ideas they see that are currently running in someone's display, incorporate them into their display, and take the credit for it. That, in my opinion, is really low behavior.

The other thing that is nice, is asking the person for "permission". It's strictly a formality and simply shows basic decent courtesy. I always appreciate it when its been asked of me. If I didn't want to share, I wouldn't post pictures in the first place.

Luckily this is something I dont have to worry about (anyone stealing my ideas that is lol). Each and every time I think I came up with something new I look at pictures of other folks displays and well, they had already done it : ) With the exception of the pole dancers lol And thats an idea NOBODY WANTS TO STEAL!!

As to take someones ideas and use them.. Thats fair game I think. But as others have said dont see something, copy it and say look what I came up with !! I enjoy seeing very old ideas coming back to displays just as much as seeing the brand new idea and trick product. I wonder if real lit candles on dry pine trees will ever make a comeback?? LOL

Jim

I would be flattered if anyone wanted to copy something I did. Besides, they may improve on it and then I can copy their improvements :santasmileyitty:

I have 'borrowed' a couple of major ideas in the last two years and I emailed the originator and sort of asked their permission. I am not sure it's necessary, but I think it's just the right sort of thing to do. You will find most folks here are not only happy for you to use their ideas, but will share any info you might need to help you recreate it. It's also nice to get 'what would you have done differently' feedback from them.

Well i dont see what the big deal is.if you dont want someone to us your ideas then dont post them.or tell them they cant use them.i dont use or steal anyones ideas.just look at my displays over the years none of them look like anyones on here.besides i dont have the money or room or help.there are a lot of nice displays on here.but if you dont want anyone to use your ideas just do what i do just put up a little display.it works lol.down side of a little display.you dont get the people or news or newspapers talking about you but i dont mind.:santasmileyitty:

thanks john:santasmileyitty:

As someone else said the trick is to make it your own. Did I just steal that statement? :rolleyes:

Also I believe one would not only utilize the idea but to improve on it. The shared knowledge here has improved a lot of displays. The Mega tree, the mini tree, the arches are just a few of the items I've seen improved over the past few years.

Well i dont see what the big deal is.if you dont want someone to us your ideas then dont post them.or tell them they cant use them.i dont use or steal anyones ideas.just look at my displays over the years none of them look like anyones on here.besides i dont have the money or room or help.there are a lot of nice displays on here.but if you dont want anyone to use your ideas just do what i do just put up a little display.it works lol.down side of a little display.you dont get the people or news or newspapers talking about you but i dont mind.:santasmileyitty:

thanks john:santasmileyitty:

John, personally, I don't think it is a "big deal"..we're all just talking for lack of anything better to do. ;)

so does anyone have patten rights on their displays here? LOL

Imagine if we all had to come up with new ideas each year. AND do them using the exact same decorations everyone else has. So far I haven't seen anyone hang blow molds with nooses. Or do a Santa at a nude beach scene. Guess those are up for grabs. LOL

I think it'd be totally cool if someone copied something I did in the display. I think the only time there'd be a problem with that is if the two displays were on the same street and done the very same way. Save those kind of displays for **** ran HOA's. As far as the rest of us go? If someone does the same idea you came up with this year. That person lives 500 miles away from you. Chances are your not going to get the same people driving by your house. LOL

Edit. I like the dashes. Makes it look like I said worst than what I did. LOL Sorry folks. i didn't know that political party would be a banned word from this site. Unintentional and wont happen again.

Edited by hob

I honestly think like everyone else has said that if you post pics of your display then you are opening it up to others for ideas. Example I would have never thought about using those Little Tykes houses in your display. When I seen pics of that I went out looking for one because my mind went racing. So if you find an idea you like go for it. Unless the guy on the same street as you already has it, then find something else.

Guest A.F.NUT

I agree totally. I "Stole" the idea of covering the front of my house in lights from Ron Lister, and thank him every year for it. If someone decides to copy you, it must mean you are doing something right!!

bob

Kinda like a stole your driveway arch idea! I had seen pics of them but after actually seeing them, had to do it. Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

John, personally, I don't think it is a "big deal"..we're all just talking for lack of anything better to do. ;)

Yes what Carrie said, relax dude!

Just wondered what anybody thought. Looks like we are all on the same page for the most part. I think next years displays are going to be something!

Tom

Guest Christmas Is 4 Me

image.php?u=9351&dateline=1259298233A.F.NUT user_offline.gif

Distinguished Member

icon11.gifStealing Ideas?

I don't see it as copying, if I didn't want my ideas used and or improved upon, I would not post pictures. I too have seen ideas I want to use and tweak for my own. I have also seen ideas that I have used in the past. For example, Hob's using artificial christmas trees outside--I did that until the tree needed thrown away. Now I have more Ideas for using artificial trees that I find for coming years. I also have an idea for the carosel of blow molds I am going to work on for next year. By the time I post pictures, I have had my moment of glory because everyones display is usually built. I like this site because it sparks more and more creative ideas for me and every other member. Isn't the true purpose of life to help each other and inspire each other anyway? Oh well that's my 2 cents worth.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Sharon