Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Blowmold Magic

Stealing Ideas?

Guest Matilda

I like to think that way too.

I noticed a lot of us this year outlined our yards in toy soldiers nothing too original but obviously a lot of us thought it was great!

Tom

C'mon.... EVERYONE can CLEARLY see you stole that idea from me! You low-down idea-stealing blankety-blank!!! That's it! I'm done with you! I told you I was lining my street with soldiers and you clearly copied me! Ugh! You should be ashamed of yourself!!

I noticed a lot of us this year outlined our yards in toy soldiers nothing too original but obviously a lot of us thought it was great!

Tom

I think that we are all here to share and trade ideas. Like the toy soldiers ringing a yard.. heck that has always been a favorite, I've done it many times. I've seen it for years all over the place. Just because its been done before, doesn't mean its not original to your layout and what you want to accomplish. Using a good idea is fine. Heck, we all drive cars, somebody came up with the "wheel", does that make what Ford and Chevy do any less relevent?

I was inpsired by people using chasing mini trees..I used toy soldiers instead. Was the idea original? I doubt it, could have been..I don't really know. But when I thought of it doing it, based on flying Union ghosts up my Maple tree, it was original for my display. If I knew of someone who had done it first, I would mention it, give them the pat on the back for inspiring me to do something different.

Guest A.F.NUT

C'mon.... EVERYONE can CLEARLY see you stole that idea from me! You low-down idea-stealing blankety-blank!!! That's it! I'm done with you! I told you I was lining my street with soldiers and you clearly copied me! Ugh! You should be ashamed of yourself!!

NO NO I think it is you who coppied me! You must have saw my 2009 display blueprints that day you were here and hurried home to begin copying my brilliance! Tom

And you stole it from me..so there! :P

Guest Matilda

And you stole it from me..so there! :P

Not the first! Won't be the last! That's the dangers of being a genius like you are! :P

Tom

Yep Tom I've been doing soldiers for two years. But last year I didnt have so many of them, only 14. This year the front line was 17, with two bigger blue nutcracker soldiers centered, then one bigger red nutcracker centered. Worked out good!! And I've added two new "palace gaurd" soldiers with rifles. Now I'd like to find some drummers and soldier bears! And in your honor I am building inside sheves lol

Ive seen them used like that for years BUT folks come by and say "what a great idea" lol And yes I fail to mention I saw that somewhere else quite often lol But yall know I think the rule should be if you dont want folks to copy what you do. Don't post pictures of it !! : ) Isnt the whole point in posting something is to share your ideas, thoughts, or information : ) And I agree no fighting or arguing among us molders about this issue!

Jim

Guest Matilda

NO NO I think it is you who coppied me! You must have saw my 2009 display blueprints that day you were here and hurried home to begin copying my brilliance! Tom

Pssstttt Tom... your OCD is showing again.... '2009 display blueprints'!?!?!? LMAO

Pssstttt Tom... your OCD is showing again.... '2009 display blueprints'!?!?!? LMAO

he kept them in his safe lol what a fool!! I keep mine in a safe deposit box : )

Guest Matilda

he kept them in his safe lol what a fool!! I keep mine in a safe deposit box : )

LOL!!

Yep... the baby kept him distracted by jumping in his Koi pond... while I took snap shots of his blueprints with my secret spy camera which looks like a pacifier! ;)

Guest A.F.NUT

LOL!!

Yep... the baby kept him distracted by jumping in his Koi pond... while I took snap shots of his blueprints with my secret spy camera which looks like a pacifier! ;)

So that's how you did it! I thought that little guy was on a mission. You trained him well! Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

Yep Tom I've been doing soldiers for two years. But last year I didnt have so many of them, only 14. This year the front line was 17, with two bigger blue nutcracker soldiers centered, then one bigger red nutcracker centered. Worked out good!! And I've added two new "palace gaurd" soldiers with rifles. Now I'd like to find some drummers and soldier bears! And in your honor I am building inside sheves lol

Ive seen them used like that for years BUT folks come by and say "what a great idea" lol And yes I fail to mention I saw that somewhere else quite often lol But yall know I think the rule should be if you dont want folks to copy what you do. Don't post pictures of it !! : ) Isnt the whole point in posting something is to share your ideas, thoughts, or information : ) And I agree no fighting or arguing among us molders about this issue!

Jim

Well said! I am honored to have inspired you to build shelves LOL I cant wait for the pics! Tom

Post it, I'll steal it - I will then accept all the accolades for a brilliant idea... will start my own web site and tell everyone it was my idea first... you steal my stolen idea? I will hunt you down and sue...

People it is a Christmas display... I have not built one yet, lets have some joy with the hobby...

If no one built the first Mega Tree would anyone have it in their yards?

Just remember the idea you have right now I thought of first... :)

Dan

Guest A.F.NUT

Point is i dont care if i see a idea i like ill use it plain and simple :D

You dirty rotten thief! Tom

I also like to use the ideas of other, I also tend to give props when I can. I saw the idea of breaking up the icicle lights on separate channels on this forum. I would be more than happy to saw it was John Doe from wherever. I also would be more than happy to share how i did something. Maybe they can make it faster, stronger, CHEAPER.

If it weren't for everyone stealing (Using) others idea, then there would just be some boring lights. This is a place to learn, just like in school. We first learned how to do things by looking a pictures, same thing applies here.

I am "Thankfull" for the things that we have been able to duplicate in our show.

Thanks Everyone.

I think the word stealing is the wrong word to use.stealing is bad.i might use your idea but i dont steal it.what are we stealing its a idea not there display.if you dont want your ideas or info used then dont post them.because if i see something i want to use i will.but you dont have to worry about me stealing anything.i only do small displays.:santasmileyitty:

thanks john:santasmileyitty:

In stead of the Newspaper Copyright idea you should just use the "Poor Man's Copyright" Which consists of taking a picture of your new idea putting it in a self addressed envelope with a stamp and mailing it to yourself... The point it will get postmarked at the Post Office and then sent back to you where you will keep the sealed UNOPENED envelope until something arrises where you have to prove you had the first Copyright on a idea.

This is a true method and is used by independent film script writers all the time because they have no money to afford a real Copyright!!

I believe something like "how you string lights" in the yard just simply isnt a copyrightable thing. There is also something involving private rights on a personal residence. This is how we all can play music at our private residential displays and not have to buy licenses or pay royalties for playing the music. While the rules would be different for commercial operations, there are no copyrights involved with how you decorate your personal display.

When you get down to copyrighting things we come up with for Christmas displays, you might say many of us are individually rediscovering things that might have been discovered by creative operations in Disney, other movie studios or Vegas type venues years and years ago. Light leaping light arches configured as firesticks - essentially really get down to it, the first place this was done was Vegas in the 1950's.

Its more about getting something named after you because you were the first to popularize it for modern animated Christmas displays but all this stuff is old, antiquated and forgotten technologies at places like Disney Imagineering, etc.

If anyone is worried about others copying ideas, then they would not post in these forums. We all come here to share with others and benefit as a whole for doing so. I have used others sequences and shared my own. Just because something has been done many times over, it doesn't mean the people on your street or in your town that visit your display have ever seen it. What fun would it be if you could not use elements in your display that wow your guest and get you excited to see it for the first time yourself. Seeing display videos online is one thing, but seeing them in living color is just fantastic.

Please take any of my ideas, I know I continue to flatter others by using their own for my display.