Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jpohio

Light-Up-Ohio 2010

I will have to see what I can do...

I forgot what has kept me from attending in the past until I was thinking about it yesterday.

My wedding anniversary is May 15th :eek:

My anniversary weekend as well. I'm still, ummmm... negotiating for LUO 2010. :cool:

Good morning

JP and LIberty_Laser thanks for joining Buckeye_Christmas_Lights on vimeo

The wife and I will be there for LUO 2010 ---- if there is a dinner the night before we are going to try and get there this year.

any thoughts on seminars --- the wife and I were really impressed with the presentations ---- the diy info on board etching was excellent

Frank A.:)

I really can't think of a better way to celebrate a wedding anniversary than by being around a bunch of fellow Christmas fanatics, we could put a couple of candles at your table for your dining pleasure. Of course this is from a guy that has been married 38 years, so maybe I'm not as romantic as I once was. lol

Bill

I will have to see what I can do...

I forgot what has kept me from attending in the past until I was thinking about it yesterday.

My wedding anniversary is May 15th :eek:

jeff where at in ohio is this can you give me a address so i can mapquest it i would be coming from st. louis missouri ,.. thanks, and date is may 15th correct?

Hi Jason,

Of course I'm not Jeff, but he started back to work today. The address is 1800 Watermark Drive, Columbus, OH 43215. It will be in the Highlights Magazine Corporate conference rooms. There will be vendors with great discounts, education, food, door prizes, old friends, new friends, fun, and lots and lots of people to learn from and to share ideas. It's a great time, and we hope you can be here. There will be lots more info out there as it develops, plus we are working on a website that should be live with-in the next week or two.

Bill

Hi jeff,

Got the calender marked. Just wondering what city in Ohio I will be heading to? (couldn't get to the LUO website.

I look forward to seeing all the folks from Ohio again.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The address this year is 1800 Watermark Drive, Columbus, OH 43215. We will be posting more info in the next week or two, and our new website will be up and running soon. We will post the new address when it goes live.

Bill

I look forward to it!! maybe I can actually stay off-work for the whole day for once.. ive got all kinds of neat ideas and stuff to bring to to it this year.. better have room for me :)

watch out! no hotrod projects, no house projects are in store.. so its *ALL* christmas display *ALL* year for me.. lots of changes goin on in my show....

-Christopher

Christopher,

I have quite a few changes for my dislpay this year too... I have one heck of show planned... hopefully the locals will like it :D

watch out! no hotrod projects, no house projects are in store.. so its *ALL* christmas display *ALL* year for me.. lots of changes goin on in my show....

-Christopher

Dale if you smell BBQ you have a good sense of smell as we around 25 out side and about 6 in of snow .I have a mager hankering for some pork shoulder .but it is just to cold out side.As for luo me and bill have been talking about the food Up till he broke his butt then we stoped.so i will through this out ther any ideas or just pulled pork again

Gregg

Dale if you smell BBQ you have a good sense of smell as we around 25 out side and about 6 in of snow .I have a mager hankering for some pork shoulder .but it is just to cold out side.As for luo me and bill have been talking about the food Up till he broke his butt then we stoped.so i will through this out ther any ideas or just pulled pork again

Gregg

Before any rumors get started, I didn't actually "break my butt" as Gregg keeps saying. lol Back in Nov. I had an extension ladder slide out from under me, and I fell about 8' on my tailbone. Of course, I was putting up Christmas lights. I ended up breaking my tailbone, and fractured a bone in my foot. I'm healing up fine though, and should be able to get back to work next week. I vote for pulled pork, bbq chicken, and brisket we might as well have it all!!

Bill

I hope we hasve something other than pork... im not a big fan of BBQ pork... im more the Hamburgers , hotdogs, and Pizza Type.....

breaking your tailbone sounds rather painful!!

Christopher,

I have quite a few changes for my dislpay this year too... I have one heck of show planned... hopefully the locals will like it

-Christopher

im uinleashing my Computer / electronic / mechanical and Music production skills on my display this year... frankly I want the display to be more than just christmas lights strung all over the house and yard....

-Christopher

eldoradoboy it will be taken into consideration.We havelimited kitchen at the facilatys .Bbq can be done before hand and then finnished in crock pots .Also i smoked 70 some pounds and we had maybe a pound left so that has to be taken into consideration

Gregg

maybe the solution is just to order a few Pizzas for those of us that dont want BBQ pork.. im sorry.. its just not one of my fav. foods...

or if im the only one and it doesnt offend anyone ill just order a Pizza in or hop down to the local wendys and bring back food..

-Christopher

Chris,

Since Skyline Chili is a famous Ohio product, I was thinking about having hotdogs and chili, also. The menu is still being discussed so all suggestions are appreciated.

Bill

Peggy and I the Lord willing will be there again this year. Last years food by Gregg was terrific. I hope we have that again....and als food Chris that he will enjoy

the food we can all figure out.. but WATCH OUT guys!! the stuff I have planned for my little display that I plan to bring and share! thats where the real fun is at.. in the LIGHTS!! at Light up Ohio!..

the car cover is gonna stay on the Hotrod this year because its all christmas all the time at my house for 010...

I think we ought to get those light up EQ T-shirts like one of the other displays did for 2009.. those rock...

-Christopher

I'm going to plan on being there, but mid May is a very busy time of year for those of us in the lawn care buisness!

I never even knew something like this existed. My head is still spinning and I've been reading almost constantly since I joined. This is the 1st forum and maybe my second post I've ever done, so forgive me if I seem a little inexperienced. I'm still in learing mode but hope to get to creative/design mode pretty soon! Something like this would be a huge thing for me!

I live in central Ohio and would be interested in helping if needed. The best way to learn is to jump in and do...... now I have to go check with the wife and make sure I don't all ready have something planned (I don't think so...but with her you never know)!

chazinn: you learn a LOT of great stuff at the mini..

also my display is still up and I can show you a few thigns if you are interested.. I doubt im going to be tearing down for a while... I did stop running it as of today just because its jan 6th.. but It will be left intact and can easily be started up...

-Christopher

b_regal we have had it here in Columbus (central ohio) for the past several years.. im assuming it will be here again.. it seems thats the consensus though i dont want to give you bad info if it ends up somewhere else in the state..

-Christopher

Hi Jason,

Of course I'm not Jeff, but he started back to work today. The address is 1800 Watermark Drive, Columbus, OH 43215. It will be in the Highlights Magazine Corporate conference rooms. There will be vendors with great discounts, education, food, door prizes, old friends, new friends, fun, and lots and lots of people to learn from and to share ideas. It's a great time, and we hope you can be here. There will be lots more info out there as it develops, plus we are working on a website that should be live with-in the next week or two.

Bill

The location for LUO 2010 :)

Chazinn,

Welcome to PC and hope you can make it to the mini; you'll be glad you did.

Joe

I'm going to plan on being there, but mid May is a very busy time of year for those of us in the lawn care buisness!

I never even knew something like this existed. My head is still spinning and I've been reading almost constantly since I joined. This is the 1st forum and maybe my second post I've ever done, so forgive me if I seem a little inexperienced. I'm still in learing mode but hope to get to creative/design mode pretty soon! Something like this would be a huge thing for me!

I live in central Ohio and would be interested in helping if needed. The best way to learn is to jump in and do...... now I have to go check with the wife and make sure I don't all ready have something planned (I don't think so...but with her you never know)!

to the organizers of and vendors at Light Up Ohio:

1. I am more than willing to assist in any way that I can; don't hesisate to ask.

Once the menu is determined and picky Chris (just kidding Chris) is satisified; how about throwing out ideas for topics? Ok I'll start. I would appreciate a hands on session on sodering a new controller board. Kind of a 101 on basic soldering then how to build a new controller.

Tks!

Joe