Light-Up-Ohio 2010

to the organizers of and vendors at Light Up Ohio:

1. I am more than willing to assist in any way that I can; don't hesisate to ask.

Once the menu is determined and picky Chris (just kidding Chris) is satisified; how about throwing out ideas for topics? Ok I'll start. I would appreciate a hands on session on sodering a new controller board. Kind of a 101 on basic soldering then how to build a new controller.

Tks!

Joe

wow ya, i have no clue on how and it would save me a butt load of cash....to buy lights with

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chazinn: you learn a LOT of great stuff at the mini..

also my display is still up and I can show you a few thigns if you are interested.. I doubt im going to be tearing down for a while... I did stop running it as of today just because its jan 6th.. but It will be left intact and can easily be started up...

-Christopher

Thank you, unfortunately our sales season has started which means I'm now at about 60 hours a week. I also will be traveling a fair amount in Jan. (the next 3 weeks) . I would be very interested in seeing it, how you designed it, and constructed it! Just not not sure how I can work it out.

My wife informed me yesterday that she is planning on a garage sale the weekend of the mini. I told her she was on her own, she wasn't real happy, but I think I can work it out! I'm really looking forward to it. (Maybe there's a topic in there for the mini? Something along the lines of persauding her to let me put up more lights???)

1. I am more than willing to assist in any way that I can; don't hesisate to ask.

Once the menu is determined and picky Chris (just kidding Chris) is satisified; how about throwing out ideas for topics? Ok I'll start. I would appreciate a hands on session on sodering a new controller board. Kind of a 101 on basic soldering then how to build a new controller.

Tks!

Joe

I too would be very interested in this. I just can't afford the pre-built ready to go controllers right now. However, I could probably finangle a kit, if I had the confidence to solder it correctly.

That said, just about any topic would be good for me! I guess being new to this does have an advantage! My "idea" list for things I would like to add or build is getting so long I had to start a list in MS Word.

I plan on bringing new display elements im working on and have used in the past as well as examples of controllers and boards.. and i think ive still got one thats is in kit form that I havent built yet.. if not ill be ordering some and can keep one in pieces so you guys can see what they are like and what is entailed in putting one together...

one thing to think about too is that D-light controllers run on the LOR network and i think you can pick them up for a little less coin than LOR.. personally I have one DC D-light board and it works great on my LOR network but its a pain to update firmware and such on 2 different manufacturers equipment...

I agree a soldewring primer would be Great for those that have never done it.. as there is a HUGE difference in price on pre-made controllers versus kits.... another thing to think about is buying the bare boards pre-assembled (if you dont want to solder)and making your own enclosures and cords... esp for something like a mega tree where channel density is high you can save a lot of money by putting a couple boards in the mega tree center(in a single enclosure).. and making short cords for them... I will be doing just that for my mega / mini / and Micro trees this year... there will be 6 boards feeding those items all from the center of the yard in 2 enclosures....

-Christopher

Tks!

Joe

Joe,

Funny you mentioned this. Education is starting to come together as we speak and one person actually offered to show how to build a Renard 24, with a hands on type of demonstration. I was really happy to hear this, but I still need to get back with him to figure out how to incorporate something of this magnitude along with all of the other things that will be going on at Light Up Ohio. We keep thinking about making Light Up Ohio a 2 day event, but we just haven't taken that step yet, simply because of people's schedules. Of course, we can't cover everything, but we are planning to have more break out sessions this year so you can hook up with someone with your same interests. Some of the things I've been tossing around are website design, beginning sequencing, music, LEDS, pcb etching, electrical safety, strobes, and can molders, framers, and puffers coexist in the same display. lol

Keep the ideas coming.

Bill

I plan on bringing new display elements im working on and have used in the past as well as examples of controllers and boards.. and i think ive still got one thats is in kit form that I havent built yet.. if not ill be ordering some and can keep one in pieces so you guys can see what they are like and what is entailed in putting one together...

one thing to think about too is that D-light controllers run on the LOR network and i think you can pick them up for a little less coin than LOR.. personally I have one DC D-light board and it works great on my LOR network but its a pain to update firmware and such on 2 different manufacturers equipment...

I agree a soldewring primer would be Great for those that have never done it.. as there is a HUGE difference in price on pre-made controllers versus kits.... another thing to think about is buying the bare boards pre-assembled (if you dont want to solder)and making your own enclosures and cords... esp for something like a mega tree where channel density is high you can save a lot of money by putting a couple boards in the mega tree center(in a single enclosure).. and making short cords for them... I will be doing just that for my mega / mini / and Micro trees this year... there will be 6 boards feeding those items all from the center of the yard in 2 enclosures....

-Christopher

Chris,

You make a very good point concerning your mega tree, a lot of people don't realize how much money you can invest in extension cords. It saves lots of money to get your controllers as close as possible to your display item. Maybe it would be good to have somebody give a little presentation on cord organization.

Bill

Chris,

Maybe it would be good to have somebody give a little presentation on cord organization.

Bill

if only you saw what was under the snow in my front yard.... I saved a lot of cords by locating them in the center of the tree.. however its still a lot of WIRES....

maybe a little group discussion on design and build of an animated display in general.. things like

1] load balancing on the breakers (and between incoming Legs)

2] light balancing in the sequences to minimize indoor "flicker"

3] creating spreadsheets with channel layouts

4] creating Build sheet plans for the actual installation

5] keeping the buold sheets up to date "as-builts"

6] marking cords and controllers with a "code" to know what goes where

add that to other's suggestiopns of sequencing tips and tricks, controller building, etc..

but maybe we organize the day into 2 distinct parts..

the morning where we have general topics such as introductions, electrical( I love tony;'s presentations), wireframes, blowmolds, Lights.. and anything that pertains to both static and animated displays... and right before / during lunch an open forum for people that want to ask questions to specific people that may have brought in their own display elements to show to the group...

then maybe in thew afternoon there are 2 breakout groups.. 1 for people who are doing or are interested in creating static displays.. topics might include how to lay things out, what lights work best for various items, etc..

and then another breakout for people interested in animated displays.. it seems we have a lot of both in our group.. I realize the animators and animator interest probably outweighs the static displays but still I believe there a lot of people doing both and some may not have an interest in going computerized...

-Christopher

That's going to force me to make the decision about whether or not I animate next year! Decisions, decisions....

Design, build, how to's related to static displays is what I need, but animation is what I'm interested in. Guess I've been infected with the virus!

After reading this my head started hurting:

if only you saw what was under the snow in my front yard.... I saved a lot of cords by locating them in the center of the tree.. however its still a lot of WIRES....

maybe a little group discussion on design and build of an animated display in general.. things like

1] load balancing on the breakers (and between incoming Legs)

2] light balancing in the sequences to minimize indoor "flicker"

3] creating spreadsheets with channel layouts

4] creating Build sheet plans for the actual installation

5] keeping the buold sheets up to date "as-builts"

6] marking cords and controllers with a "code" to know what goes where

add that to other's suggestiopns of sequencing tips and tricks, controller building, etc..

but maybe we organize the day into 2 distinct parts..

the morning where we have general topics such as introductions, electrical( I love tony;'s presentations), wireframes, blowmolds, Lights.. and anything that pertains to both static and animated displays... and right before / during lunch an open forum for people that want to ask questions to specific people that may have brought in their own display elements to show to the group...

then maybe in thew afternoon there are 2 breakout groups.. 1 for people who are doing or are interested in creating static displays.. topics might include how to lay things out, what lights work best for various items, etc..

and then another breakout for people interested in animated displays.. it seems we have a lot of both in our group.. I realize the animators and animator interest probably outweighs the static displays but still I believe there a lot of people doing both and some may not have an interest in going computerized...

-Christopher

"...... Some of the things I've been tossing around are website design, beginning sequencing, music, LEDS, pcb etching, electrical safety, strobes, and can molders, framers, and puffers coexist in the same display. lol

Keep the ideas coming.

Bill

Bill,

I like ALL of those ideas for topics :) Even though I've been setting up displays for 40+ years; 39 of those static, the older I get the more I realize there is so much I don't know or at least a better way to do what i've been doing. The info, ideas and advice floated around LUO and the forums is vast.

Tks!

Joe

Wow, we would love for you to come to Light Up Ohio this year, Greg. There will lots of old friends there, and I'm sure you will make some new ones. We have been working hard on the plans, and there will some surprises for this year. Hope to see you there, our website will be up and running soon, I will post the url so you can check out the hotel/motel info, and we will be planning a meet and greet on that Friday night.

Bill

Bill and Jeff - work permitting I will be there this time! I missed last year, so hopefully this year will work out.

Don't forget to post the hotel/motel information well in advance, for those of us driving/flying in.

Greg

Dude - your wife is way to organized and must have OCD issues... she has planned a garage sale for May 15, 2010?

No intention of an insult, just really funny... Dan

No insult taken! and yes she really does have a garage sale planned! I just have to make sure she doesn't sell any of my Christmas stuff!

Light Up Ohio is proud to announce that we will be coordinating our event with Chicago and Indiana (ICE), this year. What this means to you is that we will be able to educate and share ideas with more people, and make our individual events the best they can possibly be.

As for Light Up Ohio 2010, get ready for the time of your life. There will be lots of surprises, lots of fun, lots of food, lots of new ideas, and most importantly. lots of Lighting fanatics meeting to talk about their favorite thing "Making Memories".

If you have any questions, or comments please contact myself or Jeff Phillips. Plans are coming together fast, and we will be coming out with very exciting info in the next few days, so keep an eye on this thread.

Bill

Bill and Jeff - work permitting I will be there this time! I missed last year, so hopefully this year will work out.

Don't forget to post the hotel/motel information well in advance, for those of us driving/flying in.

Greg

Greg,

I'm currently working on the hotel information, and plan to have all that info listed on our website, which is coming soon!!!

• 2 weeks later...