Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Carrie Sansing

Chicagoland Regional 2010

Tom,

I plan on being there and would be more than happy to spend the time to answer any ?? and give you the "soldering in layman's terms" lesson I have given all of the people that have worked for me over the years if you would like.

;)

(it's way easier and simpler than it first seems)

For the eyesight... a good magnifier on a stand or arm... or I can give you the name of a great place to order prescription glasses online CHEAP and you can just buy a pair for closeup work. ;)

All joking aside, I honestly do have one of these for some of the close up work I do when drawing or carving. It's invaluable and lights up the work surface very nicely.

MC366.jpg

Tom,

I plan on being there and would be more than happy to spend the time to answer any ?? and give you the "soldering in layman's terms" lesson I have given all of the people that have worked for me over the years if you would like.

;)

(it's way easier and simpler than it first seems)

For the eyesight... a good magnifier on a stand or arm... or I can give you the name of a great place to order prescription glasses online CHEAP and you can just buy a pair for closeup work. ;)

Terry,

I'll take you up on that.

I had not soldered through the hole components for the past 30 years. I've been doing some fiddling with a Ramsey kit to get reacquainted with the technique (that I did not learn that well the first time). I am not terribly pleased with the amount of solder I am getting on the pads and pins. I think there is too much. I've looked closely at the joint under sunlight with a magnifying glass and it looks like it is making good contact with the pad and the component but I think I'm globbing it on. The problem could be my RadioShack soldering station that gives me the choice between 25 and 45 watts.

I've tried to de-solder components using the braid stuff and all I've gotten is frustrated. So I was looking to be taught a technique that works with the stuff or recommendation for a better device. I'm beginning to lean toward a solder sucker.

I would welcome any recommendation on sources for magnification. I was talking about my dilemma and a friend who sews recommended a light. I looked at the recommended brand and they were a little more than I want to spend on something that would get casual use. I've seen lights that are on a swivel arm that have a light that surrounds the magnifying glass. I think if I could find something like that for a reasonable price it would be just the ticket. Sounds like a good job for a search engine eh?

I have not reached the point where I need glasses, the ol' cheaters work for now. If I reach the point of needing glasses I might have to admit I'm getting older and we can't have that. :giggle:

Terry,

I would welcome any recommendation on sources for magnification. I was talking about my dilemma and a friend who sews recommended a light. I looked at the recommended brand and they were a little more than I want to spend on something that would get casual use. I've seen lights that are on a swivel arm that have a light that surrounds the magnifying glass. I think if I could find something like that for a reasonable price it would be just the ticket. Sounds like a good job for a search engine eh?

I have not reached the point where I need glasses, the ol' cheaters work for now. If I reach the point of needing glasses I might have to admit I'm getting older and we can't have that. :giggle:

Tom

I don't know if these are reasonable or not at Jo-anns ( but much cheaper than I can get in the UK).

There is 50% off any 1 item with promo code EFDT51 upto Saturday 2oth Feb.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/category.jsp?_DARGS=/joann/catalog/productdetailleftnav.jsp.5_A&_DAV=&_dynSessConf=-209638509480341913&narrowSelection=false&categoryURL=true&CATID=cat3510&supercatId=cat2738

Hello PCers..

I have the education and instructors all lined up and ready for Chicago. The education this year is going to knock some socks off. But, there is one more important thing..

I am looking for someone, or more than one someone, to lead a round table discussion on LOR2.. This could be throughout the day or I can also schedule and set aside a time for this. What I am hoping to find is someone with very in depth knowlege..from hardware to sequencing that will be available to answer questions or act as a facilitator.

If you're interested in leading this, please send me a PM as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!

Hello PCers..

I have the education and instructors all lined up and ready for Chicago. The education this year is going to knock some socks off. But, there is one more important thing..

I am looking for someone, or more than one someone, to lead a round table discussion on LOR2.. This could be throughout the day or I can also schedule and set aside a time for this. What I am hoping to find is someone with very in depth knowlege..from hardware to sequencing that will be available to answer questions or act as a facilitator.

If you're interested in leading this, please send me a PM as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!

What's to know?

Step 1: Open LOR.

Step 2: Click grid.

Step 3: Save.

Step 4: Play.

What's to know?

Step 1: Open LOR.

Step 2: Click grid.

Step 3: Save.

Step 4: Play.

If it were only that easy.... :(

I nominate Ed, he has mad skills, when it comes to sequencing.:D

If it were only that easy.... :(

I nominate Ed, he has mad skills, when it comes to sequencing.:D

I agree, but..sigh..Ed has not volunteered. He would be perfect, but I can't twist his arm. Afterall, this is just Christmas lights, I can't pay the instructors.

I agree, but..sigh..Ed has not volunteered. He would be perfect, but I can't twist his arm. Afterall, this is just Christmas lights, I can't pay the instructors.

Maybe he'll just send a video.

I wouldn't mind participating, but leading? I'm not sure about that - I might be two sheets to the wind with Frank, Shaun, Tim, Terry, Dano and whoever else might be around...

I wonder..could we live webcam this thing?

If your internet connection is up to the task, I would be more than happy to do that for you. :)

If your internet connection is up to the task, I would be more than happy to do that for you. :)

Tim, that would be very cool! What would it require?

I wouldn't mind participating, but leading? I'm not sure about that - I might be two sheets to the wind with Frank, Shaun, Tim, Terry, Dano and whoever else might be around...

I take that as a yes? Hmmm?

Tim, that would be very cool! What would it require?

Run this speed test , try several different city's and let me know what your upload speed is.

I can bring all that is needed, I am assuming you have a wireless router.

Run this speed test , try several different city's and let me know what your upload speed is.

Yes, we have a wireless network set up here. I will run the test and let you know. :)

speed test results:

Chicago: 353 kbps

Dallas: 993 kbps

Los Angeles: 1001

speed test results:

The Chicago number is suspect, I usually get good results form there, but if

you are getting at least 800 kbps most of the time, that will work great!

At that speed, a high quality feed is possible,if slower, a good quality feed is still doable...

The Chicago number is suspect, I usually get good results form there, but if

you are getting at least 800 kbps most of the time, that will work great!

At that speed, a high quality feed is possible,if slower, a good quality feed is still doable...

Tim, I just ran Chicago again..came up with 328 this time. Weird, huh?

Can we plan on doing this?

Tim, I just ran Chicago again..came up with 328 this time. Weird, huh?

Can we plan on doing this?

Yes we can... I can set up a channel on ustream just for the Chicagoland Mini and you can post a link to it on the web site.

There is a way to record and archive the stream for future viewing, I haven't figured that out yet but I will.:)

Yes we can... I can set up a channel on ustream just for the Chicagoland Mini and you can post a link to it on the web site.

There is a way to record and archive the stream for future viewing, I haven't figured that out yet but I will.:)

Cool! Oh joy! Oh rapture! This is going to be great!! :D:):D

speed test results:

This going to be important with 50 laptops there trying to get out on the net to post on PC...