Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Carrie Sansing

Chicagoland Regional 2010

Don't bother Carrie. I've seen him eat, he'l swallow the cake whole, saw and all.
24 hours later, when Dano is on his way to the hospital, I can just picture the conversation: "Doctor, the strangest thing happened to me the other day..."

Any chance of getting UT and Coach Fran to attend this event? I'm sure they would have a good time.

I think that is an excellent idea..I will check into it and see. :)

I think it was the first time in my life I ever asked 3 men to leave! (And one stayed sleeping on the couch!)

I was sooooo embarrassed when I woke up the next morning. :(

(and thankful that nobody dressed me in red, wrapped me in lights, and tied me to the chimney...)

I was sooooo embarrassed when I woke up the next morning. :(

(and thankful that nobody dressed me in red, wrapped me in lights, and tied me to the chimney...)

A cup of warm water might be in order should it happen again this year...

The funniest thing I ever heard was Super Glue on a particular zipper.
That's probably a little to personal for me - I can see how it could be very funny though...

Sorry I haven't been following all (34 pages!) of this thread... Is the sign-up for this open yet? Maybe a new thread should be started with just that info when it comes ;)

Sorry I haven't been following all (34 pages!) of this thread... Is the sign-up for this open yet? Maybe a new thread should be started with just that info when it comes ;)
I hope you do not have to signup as I already made my reservations at the Courtyard. Carrie had gotten a special discount rate for people attending the mini ($69 per night).

Quite a few people have been asking me about hotel accommodations. I have signed a contract this afternoon for our room block. I think I did good too! It's $10.00 cheaper than last time and includes breakfast. In 2008, rate was $79 and no breakfast.

Here are the details, but I will also be posting them on the Chicagoland website once I get to it and will provide a direct link for reservations (they have not supplied it to me yet).

The block is set up for 9/2 (Thursday) through 9/4 (Saturday night) at the

Courtyard by Marriott

1801 Milwaukee Avenue

Glenview, IL 60025

847-803-2500

This is the direct link to the hotel for our event, the group code is already in place:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...&toDate=9/5/10

If you call, tell them you wish to book a room for the PlanetChristmas event.

The rate is $69.00 per night for a double plus tax.

I met with the Manager, toured the hotel and looked at the rooms. Its very clean, has an indoor pool, fitness room, spacious lobby area.. its very nice.

The entire hotel has been upgraded to highspeed wifi..at no charge.

Illinois is non-smoking State, so there is no smoking anywhere within the hotel (the law says you must be at least 15 feet from the door). This also includes the outdoor courtyard.

Additionally, because the Mini is being held at my home..I always worry about the weather. Got that covered and have reserved 2 conference rooms at the hotel in the event of rain.

The manager remembered us from last time, and is giving us the run of the hotel. There is a restaurant 10 steps away, right next door..with a full service bar. Adult beverages are allowed in the lobby of the hotel and I advised the Manager that PC people tend to "take over" hotel lobbies. He was fine with it.

If you don't want to stay at the Courtyard, here are a few other options that are also very close by:

Motel 6

1535 Milwaukee Ave

Glenview, IL 60025

Fax: 800-466-8356

Standard Room rate: $45 - $50

(I do not recommend this hotel..it has had a few "problems)

Baymont Inn and Suites Glenview

1625 Milwaukee Avenue

Glenview, IL 60025 US

Phone: 847-635-8300

Fax: 847-635-8166

Rooms: $78.00 - $134.00

Fairfield Inn Glenview/Chicago

4514 West Lake Avenue

Glenview, Illinois 60025 USA

Phone: 1-847-299-1600

Fax: 1-847-803-9943

Rate: $59 - $84

Humm You still have to sign up so Carrie will let you come over.:) Let see if I am on the Naughty or Nice List Ho Ho Ho

The reservations are only so you can stay in Chicago. You still have to sign up so Carrie will let you come over.:)

The reservations are only so you can stay in Chicago. You still have to sign up so Carrie will let you come over.:)
No link? Than I shall provide. BTW: I thought she was going to let us come over and eat her out of house and home...

You can register here:

http://chicagolandregionalmini-plus.lightoramasequences.com/content/view/132/70/

I'm happy to announce that the Chicagoland Regional has another first! This very lovely lady:

JUDY PANCOAST

will be joining us and performing at the Saturday night BBQ at the Chicagoland Regional.

I saw Judy perform at PLUS, she is not to be missed! Please join us for a weekend full of fun and surprises!

If you haven't registered yet:

http://chicago2010.constantlychristmas.com/index.php

post-95-129571223661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carrie Sansing

This is very cool. I had to miss her at PLUS 2007. We left early to drive back to Nashville to stay with family. Judy and I have communicated many times via email. I love these events to meet the people face 2 face, that I only write or talk to from a distance. Thank you Carrie! Judy, I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

I sing a little opera myself. Maybe I could perform?

Ed, by all means..how about something from La Boheme, its one of my favorite operas? ;)

I sing a little opera myself. Maybe I could perform?

Can you sing solo? Solo we can't hear you? What songs do you know? Can you sing far far away?

Edited by cozzi

After enough beer, anyone can sing. And if they can't, it doesn't matter.

Sorry, Ernie, no matter what I drink, I can't carry a tune in a bucket (you've heard my gravelly voice..its not happening!

Okay, I asked Ed and he said to go for it. So. . .

attachment.php?attachmentid=34889&d=1275531384

This is really sad. My PC skills suxor. The picture was MUCH better before I tried to upload it. Oh well, I guess it's just like Ed's video . . .

I was just perusing this thread and was looking at the amount of September birthdays.

There may be a reason why so many of us love Christmas... Think conception....

All of our parents were a little frisky around Christmas time :P

Sorry, Ernie, no matter what I drink, I can't carry a tune in a bucket (you've heard my gravelly voice..its not happening!

I've heard your voice and would say it is "Sultry" ;)