Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Carrie Sansing

Chicagoland Regional 2010

I'm sorry there has been a mistake in the event listings... the "FM discussion" has been replaced by a round table group discussion of favorite beverages... I will be moderating and attendees are required to bring samples for the rest of the group to evaluate.

That is all... :cool:

Hey, wait a minute...WHY HAS NOBODY CONTRIBUTED TO MY FIRST CLASS ROUND-TRIP AIRFARE FUND? I want to go now!

I'll throw in $.01, who is with me?

In a nutshell, no I can't. We don't have a septic system..we have a municipal sanitary system. :D

Can you speculate on how much bandwidth we are planning to burn up? You have contacted the cable service as requested extra bandwidth right??

Edited by mnkyboy

I'm sorry, I just hope Carrie doesn't live in one of the very few AT&T dead spots out there <rolls eyes>

I'm sorry, I just hope Carrie doesn't live in one of the very few AT&T dead spots out there <rolls eyes>

Actually that is funny Tim, as Chicago was the first city with a cellular network, which is now owned by ummm ATT , still under the system id of 00001.

I myself am not worried I will have pleanty of "3Gb's". I'll let you use my either my Blackberry or my Android phone ( depending on which one I actually bring) if you need to make a call.

Edited by mnkyboy

Can you speculate on how mucy bandwidth we are planning to burn up? You have contacted the cable service as requested extra bandwidth right??

Uhm no..but feel free to make the arrangements and I'll have my cable company send you the bill :)

No, I don't "live" in an AT&T dead spot..

posted from my AT&T Blackberry...in my family room

It may be a good idea to have Roto Rooter on stand by...I'm just saying

I think Tim is suggesting some of those attending will be full of you-know-what, present company excluded I assume!:rolleyes::D

Greg

Edited by Greg Young

I'll throw in $.01, who is with me?

Why is everyone picking on poor old Chuck? :confused:

Don't folks want to come to the aid of a decorating enthusiast (he does decorate doesn't he???:confused::confused:) in need?

Come on guys, we know he is at least worth (his) 2 cents! :P

I'll PayPal my 2 cents t oChuck later today, once I visit the bank!:rolleyes:

Actually that is funny Tim, as Chicago was the first city with a cellular network, which is now owned by ummm ATT , still under the system id of 00001.

I myself am not worried I will have pleanty of "3Gb's". I'll let you use my either my Blackberry or my Android phone ( depending on which one I actually bring) if you need to make a call.

BTW, in case you didn't get the word - anyone making/receiving calls/texts during the presentations will be forced to permanently donate their communication device to the presenter!

BTW, in case you didn't get the word - anyone making/receiving calls/texts during the presentations will be forced to permanently donate their communication device to the presenter!
I don't have a cell phone. Can I borrow yours if I need to?

I'm sorry there has been a mistake in the event listings... the "FM discussion" has been replaced by a round table group discussion of favorite beverages... I will be moderating and attendees are required to bring samples for the rest of the group to evaluate.

I've heard you might be getting Surly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36557[/ATTACH]

Calls shouldn't be a problem, and I never text. But you didn't say anything about Facebook status updates/Posting on PC via Tapatalk, etc! :)

No, I don't "live" in an AT&T dead spot..

posted from my AT&T Blackberry...in my family room

That's good to know! I've had pretty good luck with AT&T in metro areas. It's the boonies where it sucks. I can't even make a call at my mom's house, although I might have a margin of a chance if I step out on the driveway...

Great! I hope a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke covers it :)

I am bringing samples of Ohio Apple Pie, but there may be a problem. I'm afraid that after sampling it, some may be falling off the round table. Of course, they shouldn't have climbed on it to begin with. lol :-)

Bill

That's good to know! I've had pretty good luck with AT&T in metro areas. It's the boonies where it sucks. I can't even make a call at my mom's house, although I might have a margin of a chance if I step out on the driveway...

You can't make the call from your Mom's because of all the interference from the lights you leave up year round! ;)

You can't make the call from your Mom's because of all the interference from the lights you leave up year round! ;)

I figured they'd act as an antenna!

wow I can't believe Carrie went there!! <seal clap>

:rolleyes::cool:;)

I am bringing samples of Ohio Apple Pie, but there may be a problem. I'm afraid that after sampling it, some may be falling off the round table. Of course, they shouldn't have climbed on it to begin with. lol :-)

Bill

Let see as there will be lot's of RF going on :cool::cool::cool: just wait tell the LED Flood show off start.

who will be the best LED Flood 2010:rolleyes:

Calls shouldn't be a problem, and I never text. But you didn't say anything about Facebook status updates/Posting on PC via Tapatalk, etc! :)