Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
strrchristmas

When to shut down your display

I have a question for everyone: How do you determine when to shut down your display for the year?

Do you base the date on conventional practices ( Thanksgiving to New Years)?

Do you use the number of visitors per night?

Do you go by your own preference?

Are there city ordinances in your area that dictate dates?

Do you shut down when your neighbors get fed up?

I would like to know how you figure out what date to shut down.

Thank You,

Terry

Shutting mine down just as soon as I can get the gumption to go out and freeze my (insert piece of anatomy here) off to video it.:D

Or until I get served papers....

Edited by Flanigan

I have resorted to starting up our display on December 1, and shutting down on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

We run our display starting Thanksgiving night to New Years night but what day of the week also determines what the last night is for our display. This year New Years day was on Friday so our display will run until January 3rd to finish out the weekend.

I base it off many factors, including the weather. Nice layer of snow and ice out there right now. I usually pull the plug the weekend after the last holiday. In other words this weekend should be the last one. I however have not had much of any luck getting a good video of the display, I will be making a couple of attempts tonight. Hopefully I can get all the videos done either tonight or tomorrow and shut it down. I will pick up anything that's not attached to the ground next week.

Do you shut down when your neighbors get fed up?

I was across the street last night on the [public] sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house to make one last video of my display, until he saw me and turned his sprinklers on.

So it all came down today.

I was across the street last night on the [public] sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house to make one last video of my display, until he saw me and turned his sprinklers on.

Why, what a nice neighbor.:121_reindeer:

Your display, or his house?

My #1 factor is weather and conditions on the roof.

I always run through new years ... and sometimes up to a week past.

Then I take down the stuff on the roof when conditions and weather permit.

I don't like breaking down any earlier, because this this is also bargain hunting time ... and a time to get stuff for next year at 75-80% off.

Once I have the the roof stuff down, then it'll be megatree then other items ... I'm guessing the megatree might be up another week, since I need 3-4 folks to help me take that one down.

I'm not so worried about the stuff on the ground, as it can be removed anytime .. and its all covered in lots of snow still.

I've been tearing down on the Sunday after Christmas for the past few years, so this year meant that the 26th was it for lights. Won't be doing a show next year, and the following year Christmas is on a Sunday so who knows what I'll do then.

Thank you all for your replies. The input is greatly appreciated. It's good to know, we are right in line with most of you.

We were planning on 12/31 as the last night but we had so many visitors. We decided to light up again on 1/1 and again had many more visitors than expected. We tried once more tonight 1/2 and have seen no one viewing the display. Seems the interest has subsided, it just took longer than we anticipated. Tonight will be the end for this season. As for take down, we may start tomorrow but there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground which would hamper the work.

Thank you Everyone.

May your next season be the best you've had thus far,

Terry

I usually end on New Year's Day. I was planning on taking down today, but with the high at 12 degrees, I grabbed the LOR controllers, mini trees and the extension cords that weren't buried under the snow, and ran inside. 95% of the display is still up, frozen to the ground.

I figure it's after the holidays, we're almost back to our normal routines, it's time to go. I also noticed that a few people on my block don't have their lights on tonight!

I will tear down my 2009 display on the 4th of July, lol...as soon as the snow melts, dont know about the rest of you but my lights and trees are frozen to the ground for it is a balmy 10 degrees right now

Guest csx5861

When I finally get LOR, which should be sometime soon in 2010, Halloween will be my first lighting display project, so for the week before Halloween and Oct. 31 will be the last night for that display theme.

For Christmas, I'll start my usual decorating a week before or during the week of Thanksgiving and hopefully be done by the Saturday after Thanksgiving and start running my show starting that weekend (Saturday) or the following Monday, then it will run until the Thursday after Christmas and teardown will commence that Friday evening and through the weekend. Especially since I am the only one that does the outside display theme, so being a one man show in that respect, I won't be running as long as a lot of others. The times I plan on running will be from Dusk until 10pm Sunday - Thursday and midnight on Friday and Saturdays. Christmas Eve the display runs from Dusk 'til Dawn, I've done this with my Wireless Mr. Christmas every year, but I always turn the volume way, way down low on the unit. Since I'll be transmitting using an FM transmitter this year as well, the volume on the "near sidewalk" speakers will be kept extremely low so that only someone walking by would be able to hear it. (It would only be increased if the neighbors wanted to be able to "hear the music" and watch the show from outside, but that would only happen by request.

The only exception to that will be for the Halloween display on Halloween night (for obvious reasons). ;)

Clay in Orlando, FL

I do most set-up the weekend before thanksgiving, test run on wednesday, usually run a limited show thanksgiving night, and officially start the friday after thanksgiving. There are exceptions like this year though, when we traveled over thanksgiving. I always run through the weekend after new years, all the lights come down that sunday and all the cords get put away monday. (just finished a few hours ago)

I've traditionally always had my lights down on the 1st or 2nd. This is my second year with LOR. I've had people asking me to keep our show/lights up for a few more days. Then I tried to schedule my show for less time each night only to have people come to my door and ask if I can put them back on! I still have some light traffic. I think its time though...never have I had my lights up this long! LOL Not that I'm complaining... glad people like them and no trouble!