Next Years Improvements

H2Opolo15

Today, sadly, I tore down my first computerized lights display.:(

It was a huge success, I did a tremendous amount of work in a small amount of time and the show turned out pretty good for a first timer. Well now that I'm going into my second year, I want to make it even better.

So as I was taking down my display from last year, I was wondering how I could make the display better for next year and after asking questions on here, to my friends and family. I've compiled a list... Let me know what you all think, please feel free to add to my list. I'm still very new to this hobby and have a lot to learn still.

The List

1. 20-30 Mini Trees for sidewalk and driveway

2. Blue and White Roof Lights

3. Wireframe snow flakes for the garage and dark areas of house

4. New FM Transmitter

4.1 Still Deciding between 1)MobileBlackBox; Eclipse 4000 2)EDM; EDM LCD

5. Garage Door outlined in lights

6. Alternate colors for 4 main trees

Here are my videos.

We Wish You a Merry Christmas - Roasted Turkey

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town - Bruce Springsteen

Music Box Dancer - DJ Schwede

Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Johnny Mathis

Finish the Fight - Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori

Christmas / Sarajevo 12/24 (Instrumental) - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Carol of Bells - Mannheim Steamroller

I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Thanks, and Happy 2010!:santasmileyitty:

I do like that idea, the North Poles. They look good in the day time as well as the night.

Not quite sure how I would go about that tho? haha I'm assuming you have these "north poles"? Judging by your display videos :)

The main reason for the mini trees was to eliminate the ugly, old candy canes I have that have just become more of a hassle than anything else. I'm going to undertake that project over the summer, so if possible do you have pictures or anything of the sort about your "North Poles"? I really like this idea honestly.

Edited by H2Opolo15

Forget the ugly mini trees and build yourself some beautiful North Poles

I agree - go with North Poles. I have 51 of them outlining the entire perimeter of my corner lot.

If you would like some information on how I did them, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward some information to you.

View my video's of last year to see them in action (warning - some of the video is not the best due to cheap camcorder with limited controls) Better video to be uploaded and complete website re-design this year.

post-8552-12957118825_thumb.jpg

Edited by direct1998
found picture of North Pole construction detail

First, I was only (partially) kidding about mini trees being ugly. (But really, shouldn't they be called mini-pyramids or mini-highway-construction-cones-that-light-up?)

I first got turned on to North Poles (NP) by a little known member around here ( http://www.chuckscorner.com/Poles.htm ). His web site sucks (I can say that because he probably won't read this, right Chuck?). You have to click on the little pics in the "navigation bar" to see the steps.

It will show you how to take a regular light socket (like is used in the ceiling inside your house http://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Plastic-Lampholder/dp/B001EVSHTA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1262719090&sr=8-5), mount it and wire it. It uses a regular light bulb (I use 15watter's), fairly simple.

I also added a short piece of red rope light to mine, and wired it to the same socket (so it uses 1 channel to light both the regular bulb and the rope light). I think Chuck used 3 rope lights, all on individual channels (see his test video). Even without rope light, they still look great.

There are many ways to make them stand up. Chuck uses re-bar embedded in concrete (I think Philip just started a thread last night that has a variation on that). direct1998 created an insert that he uses, also good. I glued a 3/4" foot-long piece of PVC inside the tube, then slide it over a 1/2" chunk of re-bar driven into the ground (not my idea, but I steal so many ideas it's hard to remember who to give credit to - maybe Ryan Johnson in Texas? http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.com/NorthPoles.html)

The point is, these are home made and there are many variations you can do, and most of it you can pick up at the local hardware store. The globe themselves I had to get on the Internet - don't use glass, it breaks!): http://www.1000bulbs.com/White-Acrylic-Globe-Lamp-Covers-with-Neck/33033/

All in all, I think I have about $30 each in my poles, but I KNOW they can be done cheaper than that.

Honestly, one of the things I considered in the mini-tree, Holdman tree line trees, or NP debate was storage in off season. I know you can stack mini-trees (if built with that in mind), but I had an area in the shed where 8 poles could be stored nicely and went that way. You may find mini's fit better into your storage consideration, certainly something to keep in mind!