Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
nutz4lights

I found where all Walmart's lights went!!

Posted this in head's up, but figured I would double post out here in Lights, Lights, Lights as it was fitting... wouldn't normally double post.... excuse the double posting ;)

I was searching through eBay today for "deals" on lights... and I came across an interesting store... I can honestly say that this guy has more lights than my local Walmart had at the beginning of the season.... he has some auctions for 2,000 (not a typo) sets of lights, not 2,000 lights, 2,000 sets! You can look at all the boxes and cases and see that they are clearly Walmart lights (not all of them, but 75% of them).... Here's the link...

http://shop.ebay.com/wfrathburn/m.ht...&_trksid=p4340

My favorite part is if you click on a particular auction he has the following line:

EXCELLENT QUANTITY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE!!

Considering he's selling a case (25 boxes) of the Walmart mini LEDs (60 count) for $350 ($14 a box) when they cost $7 a box... I would hope there would be some serious discounts on "high quantities"

Thought everybody would get a kick out of this. In the end, people will pay what they will pay for stuff... I just don't see the point in charging more than the stores charge during their lighting season....

But the big question is... how the @#$% did this guy get what appears to be literally millions of Walmart lights when the Walmarts themselves didn't have that to begin the season? Click on the bottom-most auction and then within that auction, click on the fourth picture... I have attached a picture... in that picture, he has pallets and pallets of lights, each one of those pallets has 2,000 sets of 100 count minis and he says that he has "more than 10 available" on that auction... assuming he has 11 of those, that would be 2.2 million lights if my math is right... I know for a fact that my Walmart did not have that many clear minis when they opened up shop this year... I was there. 2000 sets would be 40 (forty) flats of clear minis and he has more than 10 times that? I know my Walmart didn't have 400 flats of clear minis on their shelves this year... they didn't have 400 flats combined...

Something is seriously wrong here... I was thinking about this some more, can you say conspiracy theory? I can see this now... we should make a movie out of it... Walmart truck is headed to the store with all these lights and the mob hijacks the truck to sell the lights on eBay... ;)

$326 for a case of minis. $3.26 string. What deal.

Hey, but he offers serious quantity discounts... like if you buy 2,000 sets, you get them for $2.50 a box! Oh wait, didn't Walmart charge $2.48 a box when they put them out on their shelves? And I don't remember having to buy 2,000 boxes to get that price ;)

Something is fishy here...

I just clicked on one of his auctions and found his email address. It says: [email protected]. So I went to XmasLightCo.com.

It seems to be a company that does Christmas Decorating.

I would still like to know how he got all these lights from Wal-Mart like that. It sounds too fishy to me.

Here is the link to the site: http://www.thechristmaslightcompany.com/.

Edited by D. Moyer

They are a large firm here in the Dallas area and decorate commercial and residential static displays. They have a ton of trucks in their fleet and they do some great work. I have seen a large number of their projects and I have to conclude that it isnt cheap based on the number of guys and bucket lifts that swarm the project.

the main website is here:

www.thechristmaslightcompany.com

Chances are, they paid full price and that is why there is no perceived discount from what we are seeing and they are trying to clear out their inventory.

Hey, but he offers serious quantity discounts... like if you buy 2,000 sets, you get them for $2.50 a box! Oh wait, didn't Walmart charge $2.48 a box when they put them out on their shelves? And I don't remember having to buy 2,000 boxes to get that price ;)

Lets boycott him since he charges more than we want him to!

Edited by Bob-O
typo

Walmart's boxes changed very little from last year to this year.. Are those 2009 minis? They could very well be 2008 minis, in which case, it's clear why he has them. We have a local surplus chain that has a lot of 2008 Minis as well, at 1.50/box. The price on the flats shows $1.89 per 25... And they refuse to mark them down or take an offer. They have orders to ship them back to the whare house at season's end.

heck... the Net lights on that site look even older than 2008.

No way would I pay double the amount of what you can get them in the stores.The LEDs were 6.98 regular price at walmart.The case of 25 would be 174.50.He's asking 350.00 for a case of 25 & then another 34.08 to ship to me.I guess he will find some fool that would pay that.

Somebody hit me up side the head if I fall for a deal like that :giggle:

My after christmas price came to 87.50 per case.I feel so much better with that price.

Guest csx5861

I'd wager a guess since they are in the "commercial & residential" decorating business, those lights have probably even seen some usage along the way too. I wouldn't give him more than .25 cents a box for them, especially if outdated by 1 to 2 years!

They are all very much new in the box and I am told they are from 2008. I am also told they are VERY negotiable especially for orders of decent quantity. You should email them if you are interested.

I sent them my list of items and am waiting to hear back on quantity requirements and pricing.

In most of there jobs, they sell the lights and from the client residences I have seen - they probably cut them off of the trees rather than save and store them for future years.

They are all very much new in the box and I am told they are from 2008.

I win.. Point for me. :)

...which means this guy has nothing to do with us not being able to find walmart minis this year. Walmart simply got cheap and under ordered. ...and that's by our standards. By their own, I bet they had a great season, and had just enough to sell at full price with little to no post-season overhead.

Does anyone even know who makes them? I would like to at least talk to the manufacturer and find out what would be involved in a group buy, as far as cost and how many we would have to order. I know it has been brought up before but it doesn't hurt to give it a serious look. I have done some searching but haven't found anything yet. All I know is they are made in China.

Does anyone even know who makes them? I would like to at least talk to the manufacturer and find out what would be involved in a group buy, as far as cost and how many we would have to order. I know it has been brought up before but it doesn't hurt to give it a serious look. I have done some searching but haven't found anything yet. All I know is they are made in China.

I can tell you this. A few years back (probably 2005) I walked into a Lowes and they had a TON of lights left (this is before Lowes started clearing out their lights Thanksgiving weekend). Anyway, it was December 18th-ish and there was a guy walking around putting yellow stickers on all the lights. They had palletes of GE Constant-On Pro series lights that were normally $10 a box for 150 mini lights marked down to $2 a box. I loaded up two carts figuring that was a heck of a deal. In the process of doing so, the Lowes employee with the stickers came by and I said "excuse me, is this price right?" expecting him to say "oh, shoot, those were supposed to be <insert something higher than $2 here!>" and instead he says "no, they're $1 a box...." After asking 10 people to come and pinch me, I asked the wife to go get two more carts.

So, the point of the story is that I asked him why they were doing this (90% off two weeks before Christmas seemed so out of the ordinary for them) and he said they had a local company pre-order a bunch of lights for that year through them and then they never came to pay in full... so they were clearing them out.

I am guessing that one probably could go through and get lights from the big box stores and that is probably what this company did, especially if they are as well known in the Dallas metro as they are. I mean, they have to get their millions of lights for their customers somewhere, right?

There were an abundance of lights in 2008... I only wound up with 90,000 of them but could have easily walked away (even as late as February 1st down here!) with another 400,000 clear mini lights from Walmart... they had so many....

Who would want 2000 cases of lights though? Maybe a prom supply company?

I guarantee you that if they were 2000 boxes (not cases!) of lights for buck a box or something comparable with reasonable shipping, that there would be a host of people here getting a group buy together ;) Especially after the results most people had this year.

Did anyone check the freight costs? From Dallas TX to Atlanta GA, 750 boxes was $1699.60!!!!

Richard

Shaun:

I know from doing some importing here that normally you need an entire contaner. If it is a 20' that is 10 skids single stacked. Not sure these could be double stacked without crushing the lower boxes but if so that would mean 20 skids. They won't let you buy 1 or two skids. IF you can find the actual importer you can get smaller quantiites from them, but going direct usually means a full container. You would be the importer then.

Lenny

Jeremy,

you may be on to something. paying to freight them to you at a mini plus would be less than the UPS charge of individual boxes.