A new kidney

Carrie Sansing

After 12 years of going to dialysis, 3 days a week, year round, putting up with collapsed veins, surgeries, and shunts, a dear friend of mine just received a new kidney.

I know this is common today, but my friend is 68 year's old. She was told when she was diagnosed with kidney disease (total failure of both), she would be placed on the list for an organ donation, but..chances of her getting one were slim to none due to her blood type and age.

On New Year's Eve, she got a call. A kidney that matched was in a hospital in Indiana. She had one hour to respond. Well she did and surgery was done.

I'm hoping that all goes well for her. This is one courageous, hard working, decent woman. She never complained about her condition, never misses work, always has a smile and an encouraging word for everyone. She has been an inspiration to all that know her, especially to me.

If the kidney is not rejected..and all is looking good so far, she will again be able to live her life without enduring the pain of dialysis 3 days a week.

Sometimes through the difficulties and hardships of others, it makes us all thankful for what we do have and are blessed with.

Say a prayer for my friend when you're counting your blessings, because God only knows, she is deserving of them.

Carrie,

I wish your friend the best of luck.My mom passed away 33 years ago.she was also a dialysis patient.She was sick for many years before they knew it was her kidneys.Her treatments made her very sick.In those days it was all so new.

My dad remarried 25 years ago & is now having to go through the same thing with my stepmom.She seems to do better with treatment but her health issues besides her kidneys won't allow a transplant.She just got out of the hospital this week.She needs another surgery & they can't do it because of all her issues.

I will keep your friend in my thoughts & prayers.

Edited by peppers-palace

Carrie, how wonderful for your friend. I have some idea of life on dialysis, my late mother in law went for several years, 3 times a week, 75 miles away, whatever the weather. But I won't say that I know how it is, because although she never complained, I know it was much more to endure than I could have realized.

It is wonderful to hear of someone getting a kidney. I will keep your friend in my prayers. And Pepper, your step mother and family also.

Carrie, how wonderful for your friend. I have some idea of life on dialysis, my late mother in law went for several years, 3 times a week, 75 miles away, whatever the weather. But I won't say that I know how it is, because although she never complained, I know it was much more to endure than I could have realized.

It is wonderful to hear of someone getting a kidney. I will keep your friend in my prayers. And Pepper, your step mother and family also.

Thank You!!

It can be really hard.Years back I drove patients to treatments & really saw what they had to go through.Such a hassle to go 3 days a week.They have no other life besides that it seems.

My mom was on treatments for less than a year before she passed away.I can still remember how she was sick all that day into the next after every treatment.I know my dad is having flashbacks over this.

Carrie,

I am glad that your friend had found a kidney. I will keep her in my prayers when i'm praying for my grandma as well. Peppers, Sorry to hear about your mom and your step mom for that matter. I will think of her as well. Now I can't say I know how it feels because nobody I know has had to have dialysis yet. So i'm glad that there is a happy ending to her pain.

Carrie,

I'm happy that your friend was able to find a match. People are generous to leave these gifts for the living.

My father needs a liver transplant but has been told that since he is 80 years old he will not be placed on the transplant list. I guess there is an age restriction.

I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

Guest A.F.NUT

Carrie your friend is so lucky. Dialysis is such a horrible thing to deal with. I have a friend going through the same thing. And other problems on top of it. It's sad how some people go through so much. She keeps going and dosent complain. She has recenltly been put on the transplant list. I hope she is as lucky as your friend. This is a great example of why being an organ donor is so important! Which is why I am one. Only takes a second. I am so happy for your friend. Tom

Carrie - Praise GOD!!! I am a 50 year old male who received a kidney transplant on May 1, 2007 from a cadaver doner. I was diagnosed with a degenerative kidney disease in 1992 and was able to hold off on dialysis until Jan 2006. The 3 day a week was difficult. Every day I say a little prayer to thank the family and for a blessing of the 33 year old woman who passed.

Please if you are not already an organ donor please have it added to your driver license. Talk to your family and make it clear you would like your organs to be donated... talking to your family is important, many hospitals will not harvest the deceased organs if the family does not give permission even if their driver license indicates that they would like to be.

The quality of my life has improved tremendously. I feel like a second chance at life... Dan

Carrie, your friend is a very strong person. It is not easy to not let things affect people around you. A positive attitude is not always obtainable and my hat is off to your friend who has stayed so positive through all she has been through. Give her an extra hug from me, she deserves it.

I checked and my cardiologist says I'm not on the list yet (that's good) and he said I may not need to if I keep up taking care of myself like I have been.

Not to hijack this thread but what I have to say kinda goes with the subject. My one daughter Alexa has been having problems going to the bathroom for close to a year. The docs have said that it is normal, that she will grow out of it, etc. Well she had some tests done in October and the doc wanted to do more tests a few weeks back. The protein is her pee has been going up at a alarming rate. We had to take her for tests a couple days ago and we are currently waiting to hear back. Anyway the doctor thinks that due to the prematurity that she may have some problems with her kidneys. They said if the problem is what they think that she may have to have a kidney transplant. This is a 6 year old little girl who her and her sister have had alot of medical problems. Her twin sister is a different blood type so not even sure if she would be able to donate a kidney. Our son not sure if he would be compatible either. Everyone if you could just keep us in your thoughts that would be wonderful. Me and my wife and kids have been through so much the last 10 years and most we have gone through things alone. If not for the kindness of people here as well as other places on the world wide web I am not sure if we would have made it sometimes. Anyway hate to be a buzzkill just thought this would be the most obvious choice to talk about this. Thanks