2010 planning?

ryanshow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning is done as I had to figure out how many lights on CDI's sale to order up. Music is picked and I started to sequence LuminAria last night. Going with three shows. 2 will alternate nights from lights on to Christmas, the third will run the 26th to lights off. All will be 8 songs long. That's the format, now the changes up front...adding 48 channels to 112. Going 3 colors on Icicles, R-G-WW and all LED on the entire roof line. 2 colors on the mega tree, R-G LED's. Red M6 LED fans under all 4 arches. A snowflake chain down the center of the front face of the house. About 2 dozen more strobes and a half dozen of Scott Webers 250 watt worklight strobes. 90% will be on controllers this year, hardly any static. Already planning for the year after :santasmileyitty: This is going to be FUN !!

Lenny

h2polo: looks like im gonna be makin a drive up to the northwest part of the state to take a look at a real cool display in december 2010!!

the UPS man is already startin to get busy with me.. my EQ board is arrived.. my LED curtain #1 is ordered.. my lights order goes in next week.....

-Christopher

Haha, I look forward to it!!! I'll have to come down 23 and see some Columbus displays as well!

This was my first year with LOR (48 channels). I converted a static display and added a 10' Mega-Tree and five mini-trees. This year I plan on adding another 96 channels. I have already lined out my construction projects for the year to make it happen. The boards here have given me great ideas and I have a few of my own.

January - 9 Lollipops - Construct and Wire (3 down and 6 to go)

February - Gum Drops - Found plastic jars 5" x 4.5" that with a heat gun should be the perfect size and shape. Will use retrofit C9 LEDs, white & red, 4 channels per run so they can chase!

March - Glitter Balls for Large Tree; Wire new wire frames

April - North Poles - Construct and Wire (Plans from the boards)

May - Mini-Arches - Construct and Wire (Plans from the boards)

June - 9 Mini-Trees - Construct (Plans from the boards)

July - Rooftop assembly for gumdrops; Rooftop assemblies for putting up C9 LEDs on roof peaks and icicle lights (My own plans using drip edging)

August - New Mega-Tree structure (Combination traditional with Weber spiral elements); Start sequencing

September - New Cat5 Wiring; Radio Station Sign; sequencing

October - Prep SPT1 extension cords; wire trees and bushes; sequencing

November - Set up! Select charity for donations and make donation station (No design plans yet)

I bought everything on sale I could find post-Christmas this year and will make lighting purchases throughout the year.

Yes. I am addicted.

Michael Stoffregen

Ozark, Missouri

Edited by Stoff
Add Signature

He posted in a thread last week that everyone was arguing over as to if he invented that gorgeous spiral tree or not. He said the big strobe type lights where the $6 halogen 250 watt work lights you can get at Menards, etc. I have a pm in to him to see how he programs them. As for the spiral tree, and not to start another war and have someone lock it down again. It doesn't matter if he was the first or not. He is the first to perfect it to that degree. It IS an awesome job and has got others on here planning a copy.

Lenny

I am starting to pull plans together. Definitely adding fire. Also going to be adding two or three large fireworks.. 18+ feet. Trying to decide if I am going to build or buy those as we speak. Did away with the Bellagio Fountain in favor of some new Marty Fans and shooting star poles on that side. Changing the lights on the house over to a different design, adding a Chauvet Qscan 250 in the big tree shining on the house.. power upgrades since I am putting off the LED switch.. second video screen... going to be my biggest expansion year since I started and have already had the ups guy busy as well.

All I have to say about the whole fire aspect is... Is that seriously necessary? I mean fire? Haha First off, is it safe??? Second, I feel like it takes away from the "christmas" and the "lights" aspect. But they are really cool. I must give you that.

All I have to say about the whole fire aspect is... Is that seriously necessary? I mean fire? Haha First off, is it safe??? Second, I feel like it takes away from the "christmas" and the "lights" aspect. But they are really cool. I must give you that.

My 2010 show will be broken down into three distinct 7-9 minute segments. One will be a TSO medley, one will be either Fantasmic or Believe in Holiday Magic and the last will be a medley of pop christmas songs..

The flame generators will only be utilized during the TSO medley and then for crescendo's, etc. sparingly... loses its wow factor if over used.

Yes, they are really cool, and nothing about Christmas decorating is 'necessary'... only thing necessary in my opinion is Christmas Eve service at church.

whats wrong with fire in a display? it adds yet another dimension and direction to a display... some like to have lots of LED panels and DMX spots.. others like to do an older style static display and some like to use fire.. I think its neat to go outside the box and come up with neat new ideas..

-Christopher

• 4 weeks later...

Add Leaping Arches and CORO trees....yeah I know not super secret here on PC. But for my neighborhood a it is truly "skunk works/area 51" type of stuff.

Think I may add a retinal scanner device to my garage for my neighbors when I start to build everything this summer.....

Hey Everyone,

Just to catch up on everything:

What is a fire-stick and what is a channel eater?

My big upgrade last year was 1188 Galaxia bulbs.

2010...well it might not even HAPPEN if my church doesn't give me the money (which is like pulling teeth every time). I didn't see a dime until October last year :(.

IF all goes to plan I think we are just going to add some strobes or DMX panning spotlights. We can't do too much because I'm going away to college and there isn't really anybody to replace me lol (nice to know I'm wanted).

IF, however, things REALLY go to plan...we're lighting all of Main Street using Winterland Inc. and their Painting With Light product or their Victorian Silhouettes :)

What is a fire-stick and what is a channel eater?

A fire stick is a vertical arch e.g. a PVC pole that sticks straight up in the air with some number of light segments (e.g. channels), somewhere around 6 to 8. Arches and poles are "channels eaters" since they require so many channels to function...