Has anyone ever painted or dyed their lawn white to look like snow with their display. I know...I know...those of you up North dont have to worry about faking snow. A couple of years ago I saw someone on TLC do it for one of those Crazy Christmas Light Shows. Anyone have any information on what dye or paint you would use, amount needed per size of lawn, pictures of it done, pros and cons, etc, etc. Thanks

Brandon,

I remember that show, and actually I belive that is what the guy said he used was the field marking chalk like what is seen on football fields.

I belive he was from south Florida cause his yard was a Gingerbread theme. If this is the right guy i'm thinking of.:giggle:

Because it is not paint. It is powder.

No it's paint -- they don't use powder in the NFL or college or some high school end zones, 50 yard lines, side lines, hash marks, soccer fields...

Edited by DanoNJ

Here is some product information on the turf paint:

Product Information:

GAMETIME Concentrated Athletic Field Marking Paint is a fast-drying latex paint specifically formulated for lining grass, cinder, dirt and other natural playing surfaces. GAMETIME Concentrated Athletic Field Marking Paint will not blur with rough use, making it ideal for use on football, soccer, baseball, golf courses and all other natural field surfaces requiring striping or marking. GAMETIME Concentrated Athletic Field Marking Paint will not harm eyes or grass, making it a safe alternative to lime.

• Safe alternative to lime
  • 1:1 concentrate
  • Great coverage and dry hide
  • 30 minutes dry to touch
  • Low VOC

OK hears the cold white facts-----It IS PAINT---it IS Liquid---it comes in 1gal cans or 5 gal buckets---it WILL NOT hurt or kill your grass---Its called field marking paint and can be purchased at many different paint stores everywhere, it's not hard to find. Prices range from about 50.00 to 80.00 per 5 gal. Shipping is a killer,so you need to purchase it local. I got mine at Ace Hardware by the gal. @ 18.00 ea. It was sprayed on with a cheap Wagner sprayer.It took about a total of 3 hr. to put on 3 coats on my 25'x 50' front yard. It looked GREAT!!! Now for the problem----I live in south florida and the weather is supost to cool down in the so called winter dry season and the grass should not grow very much, (not this year) 2 days after I did the painting, we had 6 straight days of rain and 80+ degree temps. The paint held up pretty good but the grass grew 2-3 inches

I work in "lawn care" for a living. In general paints marked as "turf" or designed for turf will not adversely affect grass if used for short periods of time.

"Normal" paint will block light from reaching the chlorophyll and prevents photosynthesis. It can also block the plants from being able to exchange gases needed in the photosynthesis process. If using normal off the shelf paints, test it 1st!

Turf paints, however, are designed to allow these things to occur. It is very important to read and follow the labeled directions. Some paints may not be good for some types or species of grass. There may also be restrictions on how long the paint should remain on the grass.

I have painted a block O on my lawn in the fall during Michigan week with no adverse effects. I have not tried to do it, or maintain it, though the whole football season. It's been a few years, but as I recall the paint was expensive.

if you do paint your yard white I would not mow several weeks before doing it.. that way after the christmas season you can mow the lawn, bag the clippings and get rid of a lot of the white.. otherwise being in tennessee where your grass goes dormant in winter you dont have a wierd looking yard till march when it starts to grow again

-Christopher

OK hears the cold white facts-----It IS PAINT---it IS Liquid---it comes in 1gal cans or 5 gal buckets---it WILL NOT hurt or kill your grass---Its called field marking paint and can be purchased at many different paint stores everywhere, it's not hard to find. Prices range from about 50.00 to 80.00 per 5 gal. Shipping is a killer,so you need to purchase it local. I got mine at Ace Hardware by the gal. @ 18.00 ea. It was sprayed on with a cheap Wagner sprayer.It took about a total of 3 hr. to put on 3 coats on my 25'x 50' front yard. It looked GREAT!!! Now for the problem----I live in south florida and the weather is supost to cool down in the so called winter dry season and the grass should not grow very much, (not this year) 2 days after I did the painting, we had 6 straight days of rain and 80+ degree temps. The paint held up pretty good but the grass grew 2-3 inches

Paul...do you have pics you can share?

I have been painting my yard for Christmas for well over 10 years. As said above use the Athletic Field Marking Paint. It can be purchased from any of the major paint stores and can be costly.

To keep the cost down do an Internet search to see if you can fine a supply store be it a sports store or a paint store and go pick it up yourself. Freight charges can be more than the pain depending where you get it.

This paint will not damage the grass. It will last well through the Christmas season and will have to grow out to go away, translation of this statement means you will have white grass for about two months after Christmas.

The less traffic you have on the painted yard the longer/better it will look.

If you expect to see white grass with just Christmas lights you will be disappointed.

To have the grass showing white you will need to supply additional lighting to illuminate the yard. I use two 500 watt flood lights tat show down on the yard. I have the floods 8-9 feet off the ground suspended on EMT conduit. The higher you have the floods the less reflective light you will have on the rest of your display

I use 20 gallons of the paint to do my yard. I put it on thick, as in at least two coats with an airless sprayer. I dilute the paint 3 gallons paint to two gallons water. You can dilute 50/50 but the paint will tend to flake of the blades of grass.

Now here are a few tips to make it last longer.

Paint the grass last, do everything you can do to setup and eliminate or cut down the amount of time you will be on the painted surface.

I water my yard several days before I paint.

I usually mow my yard on the highest setting for the mower and then the day I paint I lower the setting one level. The reason for this is the mower can be placed on the highest setting and can be used to remove leaves when they fall and will not cut the grass.

Now here is one that will make you think I'm crazy, Before you paint, the day before you can take some cheap liquid dish soap and wash your grass. You can use a hose end sprayer to apply the soap and then rinse the soap off after it sets a little. All grass will have some kind of a dirt film on it this will clean the blades and allow the paint to stick better and reduce the amount of paint flaking.

If you live in an area that has dew in the mornings you will need to wait until the dew dries off. Allow yourself plenty of time to let the grass dry before night fall otherwise dew may set in and the paint will be wet in the morning.

If the paint has ample time to dry rain will not wash it off.

Anthony

First of all, I need need to thank Anthony in Houston for all the good advise on painting my grass. Continuing on with my grass growing problem from my first post, the grass kept growing fast and after about 2 weeks I gave up. We could hardly tell that it was even painted. Locations futher north in cooler weather should work out much better. I'm trying to put a couple of pictures up showing my front yard aprox. 25x50' I used 3 gal. of paint cut 1 to 1 with water. For me good idea,bad results. Paul

post-4615-129571190597_thumb.jpg

post-4615-129571190614_thumb.jpg

post-4615-129571190622_thumb.jpg