Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Magical Holiday Moments

Vandals/Punks had their fun last night

OMG, that is so wrong on so many levels..I'm so sorry to see that happen to you. Yes, it really does hurt to see such stupidity and cruelty. It happens, but it never, ever, fails to shock, disturb, upset, and make me angry.

Are the things in your display damaged beyond repair or can you fix them? It really does make me sick to see things like this..

Wow, I'm sorry that happened. It is sad that people have nothing better to do with their time than ruin other people's property and attempt to ruin the christmas spirit of others.

It looks like they trashed some of your candy canes and giant C9s, but did they cause any other permanent damage?

Thanks for the kind words. After discovering the damage, I put on my clothes and brought all the lawn objects into the back yard. this was about 2am to almost 4am. - Arches, Mega-Tree, Mini-trees, etc.

The candy canes, Spriral trees (not pictured) and giant c9s were destroyed but could be replaced. Wires were ripped out of mini-lights sockets from Mega-tree and arches. Either I replace the complete strand(s) or try to solder/splice new sockets to the mini-light strands.

I havent checked just how much damage there really are to the items as I was busy removing the rest of the extension cords and other lights bordering the windows and garage. I plan on powering up each strand in the next few days and making repairs before packing it all up.

But one thing is ... Next year my display will be even bigger and better. I wont let this incident ruin our Christmas.

Thanks for the kind words. After discovering the damage, I put on my clothes and brought all the lawn objects into the back yard. this was about 2am to almost 4am. - Arches, Mega-Tree, Mini-trees, etc.

The candy canes, Spriral trees (not pictured) and giant c9s were destroyed but could be replaced. Wires were ripped out of mini-lights sockets from Mega-tree and arches. Either I replace the complete strand(s) or try to solder/splice new sockets to the mini-light strands.

I havent checked just how much damage there really are to the items as I was busy removing the rest of the extension cords and other lights bordering the windows and garage. I plan on powering up each strand in the next few days and making repairs before packing it all up.

But one thing is ... Next year my display will be even bigger and better. I wont let this incident ruin our Christmas.

Wow, now that's the spirit! Don't let the jerks get you down. I am sorry for the physical damage to your display, but at least they didn't get to you and your spirit..that is the important thing.

Go for it next year, bigger, better, and brighter! :D

Sorry this happened to you. I don't know what it is that makes people want to do something so horrible as this, but I'm glad that you will continue on with your display.

I don't know if there is any way to prevent something like this from happening if vandals are determined to do damage, but hopefully you can figure out a way to make it more difficult for them in case there are any future attempts. Good luck.

I'm sorry for that also. I have been worried about something like that myself. I have never left my display up when it wasn't "on". This is the first year that everything is continuously under a blanket of snow/ice. I think the temperatures have helped as they have been 10 for the high with bitter wind chill.

It is sad to say that some people get enjoyment out of another persons pain.

Good luck in 2010 and stand strong.

Were they sending a message that Christmas is already over?

Very sorry this happened to you - it's senseless.

I do think that the longer we leave stuff up after Christmas, the more of a target it is. First of all, even the "punk kids" tend to like our displays, so they don't necessarily want to hurt them bad, but when it's several weeks after Christmas it just takes one to say "hey those dudes still got their Christmas stuff up, let's kill it!" and then the group mentality takes over...

I still have stuff out due to the horrible tear-down weather, although I've been out several days in single-digit temps digging through 2 feet of snow to get stuff out... What we do for a display, huh :)

Glad to see your spirit is still strong!

Its just crazy! Just like YOUTUBE videos of people running molds over with cars. Something just isnt right with folks!! I'm glad your not letting it get to you!!

Jim

Sorry for what happened to you. Like the others have said it makes me sick when I hear about these types of things happening. It's not just the aspect of these morons not having anything better to do and not respecting other people property, but the money and time that is spent on putting up the displays. Many of us not only decorate for ourselves but to share with others. I'm sure these idiots don't do anything for others except do damage like this.

In the end I do believe, "what comes around, goes around".

Sorry this had to happen, Glad you'll be back bigger and badder next year. I worry about this every night. With my leg in a brace and on crutches I can't take down my display so it will be up a couple more weeks. Hopefully no one bothers it. We live in a small town where everyone knows your buss. before you do so that helps.

I think it is human nature to try to find a reason why, or what the message might have been, you are wondering if it was because your display was still up, but they do this to peoples displays before Christmas too.

Might have had more to do with your vandals having been away or atleast the leader of their pack, until just before school started.

Uggg, See I still have decoration up its nearly 12AM and I want to go outside and take the lights down. The more and more I hear about vandals controller theft, the more my stumic turns.

I tried to keep the more expensive parts of the show closer to the house (controllers, inflatables), and cheeper easier to repair parts closer to the street. Though the vandals in this area are scared to enter the "high voltage" :giggle: area.

The day the kids went "dancing" under my mega tree I was angry and about to pull the plug, but this is horrid compared to foot steps in the show (my pet peeve)

Keep the positive attitude. It is very healthy. I display nearly 100 wire frame deer. For more than a few years there would always be one morning when I came out of the house to go to work and I would find six or eight had been moved so that a male was riding the back of a female. They always seemed to damage everything they touched. I was understandably never happy with this but the joy I gain from the 3-4 year olds that come by more than makes up for the hassle. I have not had any problems for the last five years. I have made three changes that I think all contribute. 1) I place a 12 inch stake through each deer

I will never understand what makes people do these kinds of things. What kind of person finds joy in destroying others property?

I worry about this happening to our display too but thank God it has never happened yet. One thing I do that may be the reason we have never had any problems is make a call to the local police dept every year just before I put up the display and let them know that I am starting to put it up and ask if they will patrol the area just a little extra while it is up and they are more than happy to do so.

Sorry this has happened to you, but happy to see that you will not let them stop you from doing what we all love to do so much!

I do think that the longer we leave stuff up after Christmas, the more of a target it is. First of all, even the "punk kids" tend to like our displays, so they don't necessarily want to hurt them bad, but when it's several weeks after Christmas it just takes one to say "hey those dudes still got their Christmas stuff up, let's kill it!" and then the group mentality takes over...

The last night of the display here was Jan 2 and we had 2 weeks of very very unusually cold for Florida weather start with a freeze that very night and just about every night of the week after. While multiple every night freezes were predicted, my yard ended up not getting freezing temperatures until a week later and in the end 29 degrees was the lowest bottom out temp of the run but still, in our neck of the woods, we normally expect a rapid warm up within 3 days of any cold shocks so what was unusual was that we had 2 weeks below 65 degrees for highs and lows in the 20's and 30's. Nobody here has long johns or winter clothing to deal with spending hours outside in the cold taking down lights.

Normally I get EVERYTHING down within 2 days of display closing because I always feared after the holiday was when the threat of vandalism goes thru the roof. I am embarrassed to say because of the cold, it took until this now completed weekend for me to get done what should have been taken down the 3rd of January.

Edited by Joseph Ayo

Thanks to all for the great words of encouragement. I have already planned for any kind of event like this happening again by getting a surveilence system, adding several motion detecting flood lights positioned around the yard in conjunction with an interior sounding alarm indicating that someone is in the yard.

My fear is that if I were to actually catch these guys in the act, that they would be so fearless as to attack myself. From the way the damage looks, I beleive they quite possibly were using a baseball bat to break things up the way they did.

1st rule: Dont bring a baseball bat to a gun fight! With you having the gun.

2nd rule: dont forget the 1st rule and that YOU are the one with the gun.

Now trip wires with punji (SP?) pits just inside of perimeter. Both of these with maybe a few swing traps will defend your display. Ok, maybe I am over reacting in the last few lines. But Fla does have CCW. I dont know if you have what we have here in MO. But we also have Castle Doctrine which allows you to defend yourself without retreat at home. I expect that will also include your yard. So, you have a weak constitution and you fear for your life easily. Sucker come at me with a baseball bat your honor. So, I shot him fearing for my life.

Ya, know a few liberals are going to jump on my back. Saying that the kids where only having fun. Aint no reason to shoot them. Bah! Little farts ought not be out tearing up someones property. Let them do that today, then tomorrow they will be robbing and raping. Besides, if the listen real good, they will live if they follow instructions or run away..

Damage like this is just wrong. Reminds me of a book my neighbor gives me every year...."The Christmas Extravaganza".

Video cameras and motion floods are your best defense, anything else will end up getting you into trouble either financially or legally.

I hope you reported the damage of your property to your local police department. Chances are this damage was caused by youth -Vandals in your neighborhood. The youth that committed the crime can not keep their mouths shut as they will want bragging rights to this damage. Ask your local school to keep a listen for the bragging youth also along with the school police officer if one is located within the school. Again, my money on the local connection, within 10 blocks of your home. (I use the term "youth" loosely....:rolleyes:)

You should also keep a written log of the damage and the hours it takes to repair, replace, clean up etc. This log will be important when they are caught and brought to justice for the matter of restitution to you - the victim and perhaps the number of community service hours the youth will have to take on.

Good luck this next year!