Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ChrisL1976

Spiral Tree Calculating Spreadsheet

So the number of guy wires required is the number of LOR channels times the number of strings per channel. Right? I'm planning on 8 channels with 2 strings per channel, so 16 guy wires.

Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it actually is.

Rvoigt,

The number of guy wires is up to you. The guy wires make the tree round. If you only use 4 guy wire on the Weber Tree it will not look round. I think 16 guy wires will give you a good round look no matter how many channels you have. The calculator just helps you space out the number of guy wires you choose to use.

The more strings of lights, the fuller your tree will look. 16 strings of lights will not look as full as 32 strings. If you use 32 strings with 8 channels the sections will be wide, which may be the look you are going for. If you use 32 strings with 16 channels the sections would look the same as 16 strings with 8 channels, but the tree will look fuller.

I like the looks of a full tree with thin sections. I believe Weber used 16 channels with 2 strings per channel. That is the look I am going to try and duplicate with my tree this year.

Hope this helps,

P.S. Everything in the calculator is correct except the Length calculation. My fear is someone would use the length to order lights using the current results and order more than required. Resulting in someone being ticked at me for making them spend more money than required.

I've been considering a small spiral tree this year and have taken an approach to calculating string length that may be useful to some. The tree is not truly a cone, but rather a set of isosceles triangles (16 if you have 16 guy wires). These triangles are each "crossed" by a segment of lights as you string them. I simply calculated the length of the segment at each location where it would cross each triangle and summed them. So if your tree was 1.5 revolutions with 16 chanels, it would have 24 "crossing" segments (each with a different length). When I calculated this for a 10 ft. tree with base diameter of 5 ft. and 16 chanels with 1.5 revolutions, I got a string length of 16.63 ft. rather than the 15.65 from the spreadsheet. At least for this instance, it isn't much different, so to me, it verifies that the spreadsheet is pretty close. In actual use, I expect that there are enough variations along with sagging and not completely straight segments that any of these are close enough and that any leftover I plan on just dealing with at the base.

I did this in Excel, too, but I'm not as good as others. Also, I may have made errors along the way (Although I don't think so). If folks want, I can post the little spreadsheet I used (and associated equations).

Galen

If folks want, I can post the little spreadsheet I used (and associated equations).

Galen

Probably going to look something like this. Spiral Tree Segment Version

This version calculates many short segments along the spiral. The other version uses and actual Helix calculation formula. Yes, there does to appear to be a difference of around 5%. Like I mentioned before, use this as an estimator. Start your lights from the top and work down so any extra is at the bottom. Warmer weather is coming and I'm sure which version works best will be discovered.

Probably going to look something like this. Spiral Tree Segment Version

Yes, something like that, only mine is not so general and I assumed that the segments were only disjoint (changed directions) at the support cables which is similar to what ought to occur in practice. I had a small error in my previous estimate as well, but not one that would make a practical difference unless a tree had some unusual geometry (such as a VERY short and wide tree with only a fraction of a spiral).

Galen

It's still there, linked in post #1. Hover your mouse over the 5th word "Spreadsheet"....The new forum software sometimes doesn't make links real obvious until you hover over them..

Oh DUH! But, yeah it wasn't underlined, highlighted or anything!

Thanks Randy! :-)

It's still there, linked in post #1. Hover your mouse over the 5th word "Spreadsheet"....The new forum software sometimes doesn't make links real obvious until you hover over them..

I just came across this thread - great tool! I was planning to redo my Mega-Midi-Tree this year and these look so much cooler.