Blue Mini's ... arggh

bhays

I have seen several threads on this over the years, but never saw any definite results. Has anyone had luck spraying or otherwise treating blue minis with anything to get them to last as long as the other colors?

This occurred to me as I have been removing 100+ 5 color superstrings that I have to untwist, replace the blue and retwist :mad:

I used the stained glass paint from michaels and it help.. I got one last year out of mini trees this year but they werent the deep blue they were when knew.. I got 3 seasons out of them.. 2 without paint and 1 with.. but they are done now...

I think in a clutch situation or if you want to prolong replacement for one year you can use the stained glass paint but even with several coats the colors arent what they were when new...

at least not the lowes lights blue.. after painting they seemed a bit like the washed out walmart color blue.. which never was great from the beginning..

-Christopher

I colored my indoor blue, red and green faded minis with a Sharpie of the same color. Time consuming, yes. but they turned out looking like new. I was happy with the results. Don't know how long the marker colors would hold up outside but indoors they should last a while. I will know next year cause I have some mega tree lights that faded this season. I remember I did run outside and color a few bulbs on the mini tree lights that looked "white" when they lit up.

I purchased some blue icicle lights from Lowes this year to replace my old faded lights. They were on my roof for 2+ months and showed no signs of fading. They were called High Density 300 Icicle Lights. I was really impressed that they didn't seem to fade seeing that I have never gotten more than 2 seasons from a blue mini before.

It says they were distributed by

L G Sourcing, Inc.

P.O. Box 1535

N. Wilksboro, NC 28659

1-800-833-3390

My experience with blue's is pretty much like everybody else's.. I do blue icicle lights all around my house roof and while I packed them up this year, I'm betting I'll need to replace them next season. We don't get much snow in Dec but lots of ice and it just kills the coloring. Every year I end up buying from Hobby Lobby to get the good ones, but are really pricey. I have a friend who has been doing lighting for years and he recommends justing giving up and buying LED's. So, I"m in the market for constant-on, LED blue icicle lights that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

I wonder if blue machine dye would work( I'm not talking about washing machine dye) Its used to assemble metal parts and finds the uneven surfaces for like a head on a engine.

I guess no matter what works, it will still be alot of work.

Here is a pic of the dye...

post-3683-129571193487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Sigmond

You mean dykem?

I wonder if blue machine dye would work( I'm not talking about washing machine dye) Its used to assemble metal parts and finds the uneven surfaces for like a head on a engine.

I guess no matter what works, it will still be alot of work.

Here is a pic of the dye...

I've used stained glass paint and sharpies. I did several wire frame trees in stained glass paint..forget it. One season in our weather (pretty much like your's Brett) and the paint faded, chipped, and looked horrible. Using sharpies was actually better and I got two seasons out of the bulbs I redid.

I'm thinking of spraying the blues from this year with Krylon clear coat. It helps protect paint from UV and I use it on some of the blow molds I redo. I think it has possibilites on lights and it can't hurt to give it a try.

I'm thinking of spraying the blues from this year with Krylon clear coat. It helps protect paint from UV and I use it on some of the blow molds I redo. I think it has possibilities on lights and it can't hurt to give it a try.

I may try the same thing... worth a shot probably.