Evolution of the Leaping Lights Arches

Ken Maxwell

Mr. Maxwell: I want to express my appreciation for the invention of the arches that many of us have copied and used in our displays. I have talked about removing the mega tree and mini trees from my display and try something else. I am promptly advised by many that the arches have to stay and some have asked me to add

more arches. I already have 5 arches (7 sections each or 35 channels.) . They are definitely attention getters.

I like many have found the wrapping process,maintenance and storage to be challenging at times.

I have tried to improve on these issues but still maintain your arch concept. Not trying to reinvent it.

Not sure if you have seen the "sleeve concept" that was recently introduced for making arches.

I am the one that introduced this design. I used it this past season and the results were very positive.

If you get time check out the "Arch Sleeve" thread. It is located in DIY under arches.

Your opinions and feedback would be most appricated.

Again thanks to you and your son for the original intro to arches and keep the great ideas coming.

Harbs

No arches in my display, just don't have enough channels yet to support them. Maybe later on, but that depends on time and $$ too. When my wife and I go out Christmas Light looking and see the animated displays, the first thing she says to me as soon as she sees the arches dancing about, "You gonna make those for our yard too?" I tell her, maybe sometime in the future or unless you can pull a couple more controllers out of thin air, then I'd be more apt to try and build a few of 'em! 16 channles isn't enough in my opinion to do arches justice in a Christmas Display, I think even 32 is pushing it when it comes to doing arches. But they do seem to be the main attraction at most animated displays we've watched!

Just wish there was a cheap retail alternative that I didn't have to build myself. Sometimes I just prefer to have a "plug and play" item that I can just connect to something to make it work, like a LOR controller. This will be my first year (2010) and am looking forward to growing with it.

Then everyone would have them and they would be washed out.

I'm sure someone would build you some for a small fee.

Well that could be true, but it seems just about everyone dioes have them, so I don't see a big deal with a cheap retail version. I've found them on the web, but just can't see spending $600-$1,000.00 for 1 arch or $1,900-$2,000+ for a set of (2)arches. That's just way out of the ballpark pricing as far as I'm concerned.

What I'd like to see in an Arch is one where the bulbs or LED's are inside a translucent fixture, can't say I've seen any like that as yet. And by translucent, I'm talking about you can only see the illumination when the LED or Incandescent lights would be on, in the off state you can't really see much inside the arch tube at all.

What I'd like to see in an Arch is one where the bulbs or LED's are inside a translucent fixture, can't say I've seen any like that as yet. And by translucent, I'm talking about you can only see the illumination when the LED or Incandescent lights would be on, in the off state you can't really see much inside the arch tube at all.

Clay, it's still DIY, but this may give you the look you're going for:

http://forum.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=24475&highlight=arch+sleeve

I think it's the greatest arch innovation since the arch itself.

Clay, it's still DIY, but this may give you the look you're going for:

http://forum.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=24475&highlight=arch+sleeve

I think it's the greatest arch innovation since the arch itself.

Steve thanks for the link! I never would have thought about using the "dryer hose" for the "translucent arches"! Now I'm going to have to go to Lowes and see if I can find some of that stuff as well as some other "arch making material".

Thanks again, that was a HUGE help!

Actually I think I found my PRE-MADE arches, will be a good price too and small enough, dmoore here sent me a link to his "Sidewalk Baby Arches" made from Coro and they will foot the bill for me and I do believe I can afford these!:D

So I'm looking forward to when he finally releases them for sale in Feb 2010. Going to see if I can pick up at least 2 of them!, Maybe more (for when I add more channels) and if I can persuade the wife, since she's the financier that has the final say on what I'm permitted to spend on my Christmas/Halloween displays.

And if you haven't seem them yet, they can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gd-efD7JFc

These will fit my display perfectly! I think they look fantastic!

Edited by LOR-CF

Guest Slick1983

Ken,

Hey, thank you for your great arch tutorial I found here: http://www.christmasinshirley.com/wiki/index.php?title=Light_Arch

I built one this year to test and plan more next year. I have a question, though.

How do you separate the various sections of pvc for storage?

I sprayed WD40 on the joints before I put them together, but I can't get them apart now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Actually I think I found my PRE-MADE arches, will be a good price too and small enough, dmoore here sent me a link to his "Sidewalk Baby Arches" made from Coro and they will foot the bill for me and I do believe I can afford these!:D

So I'm looking forward to when he finally releases them for sale in Feb 2010. Going to see if I can pick up at least 2 of them!, Maybe more (for when I add more channels) and if I can persuade the wife, since she's the financier that has the final say on what I'm permitted to spend on my Christmas/Halloween displays.

And if you haven't seem them yet, they can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gd-efD7JFc

These will fit my display perfectly! I think they look fantastic!

I too will admit that the Arches are a big hit! Thank you Mr. Maxwell for giving us this great idea!!!! And those baby arches are amazing in that previous post. The time and attention it took you to put those in that coro. You sir have A LOT of patience!!!!

-Evan

Well that could be true, but it seems just about everyone dioes have them, so I don't see a big deal with a cheap retail version. I've found them on the web, but just can't see spending $600-$1,000.00 for 1 arch or $1,900-$2,000+ for a set of (2)arches. That's just way out of the ballpark pricing as far as I'm concerned.

"Everyone" on PC does them, but I only know of a few displays here in the Twin Cities metro that use them. So for the average display viewer, they are very unique. Customize them with your own color scheme, channel allocation, etc, and yours will be even more unique.

In my opinion, the best display items are DIY, not store-bought, largely for the uniqueness factor.

Arches aren't hard to build, just a bit labor intensive. But just wind them a little at a time over a period of weeks and months if it gets too tedious for you. The materials involved (not counting LOR channels) are very cheap (unless you use LED's, which are never very cheap ;) )

Ken, I remember your original thread where you introduced the arches. It was a really long thread as I recall!

In my opinion, the best display items are DIY, not store-bought, largely for the uniqueness factor.

AMEN!!! This is the #1 reason I avoid blowmolds and inflatables like the plague. I equate it to going to walmart to buy that pre-cooked turkey "thanksgiving dinner in a box".

Christmas. Thanksgiving, etc shouldn't come in a box. Some assembly is required.

Arches aren't hard to build, just a bit labor intensive. But just wind them a little at a time over a period of weeks and months if it gets too tedious for you. The materials involved (not counting LOR channels) are very cheap (unless you use LED's, which are never very cheap ;) )

And the great thing is that once they're built, you don't have to redo them year-after-year like some other display items.