Today was welding day

bhays

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather today to get some work done on some projects for the 2010 show.

Since I am replacing the lights on my 25' steel z-tree, it seemed like a good time to make a couple of changes to the second section from the top. When I originally built the tree, I used the shelf near the top for snow machines... this year I am going to put a Chauvet Q-Scan 250 there to shine gobos, etc. on the house... so I had to drop the shelf down to add another 10" of headroom.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29136&stc=1&d=1264300730

While I was at it, I added ladder standoffs on each side. At least once or twice a year I need to fix some lights, etc. and it's always a hassle trying to avoid breaking bulbs, etc. Plus, I have some new LED color changing balls that I am going to put on the tree this year. Now, I'll be able to put the ladder on these standoffs..

I also got the three frames for my fans completed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29137&stc=1&d=1264300730

I borrowed the idea I saw on the forums of adding wheels to the frames to make them a bit easier to move around and store. Plus, they will protect the lights when stored by placing them on the inside.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29138&stc=1&d=1264300730

I managed to get a couple of coats of WalMart green spray paint on everything before the rains forecast for tonight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29139&stc=1&d=1264300730

post-3431-129571193784_thumb.jpg

post-3431-129571193795_thumb.jpg

post-3431-129571193804_thumb.jpg

post-3431-129571193813_thumb.jpg

Edited by bhays

The ladder standoffs is a good idea. That got me thinking. For 2011 I plan to have a 40' megatree. It will be similar to Tim H.(Therberg). But I don't have a man lift so if I need to fix lights, what do I do. I might weld ladder rungs to the pole so I can get to the top. At 40' I don't think the winch system will work.

My problem was always that a step ladder was useless due to the tree getting farther away the higher up you go. The tree is plenty strong to lean a ladder against, but I would always damage something with the ladder. This ought to solve that problem.

Nice job on the ladder standoffs. It is such a pain to fix an ornament or light strand near the top with a step ladder. How do you weight down your Z? I put in bars at what I considered the waist so I could drape sandbags over it to make it squat and balance it out.

I have always wanted to add more height to my 16', good to see 25' is managable.

-jds

Nice job on the ladder standoffs. It is such a pain to fix an ornament or light strand near the top with a step ladder. How do you weight down your Z? I put in bars at what I considered the waist so I could drape sandbags over it to make it squat and balance it out.

I have always wanted to add more height to my 16', good to see 25' is managable.

-jds

The weight of it takes care of itself.. I can hang off the side at the very top with all my weight and it's pretty much impossible to make it tip..