Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

LED Lights for Mega Tree Question

If I were to go with LED lights for a 20ish' tall mega tree should I go with 5mm ones? Or should I look at one of the other style LED bulbs? Also, what are people doing for spacing between slices? Whats the min and max the spacing for each slice to have it look decent?

Thanks!

I use C6 LEDs on a 20' tree (24 with the star) with about 13 inch spacing. 48 strands in all.

I'm also using C6 LEDs on the roof (red), the mini trees (white) and the bushes (blue). An all around good size bulb for many applications IMO.

Those look good. Just about right on the spacing, etc.

What is the diameter of your tree's base?

For something like a mega tree I think you'll be disappointed with 5mm's. I would at least use a 5m or 6m bulb . Personally, like mentioned above, I use a C6 which work great. The large size make the tree look a little fuller with the same amount of strings.

17451_221880566770_219959886770_3765654_7830854_n.jpg

Edited by ChrisL1976

since i make my megatree with my portable basketball goal, The base had to be 10 feet to clear the Goal's base.

so my tree ends up being

16 feet to the top of the star...

10 foot base ring made with tent stakes.

32 megastrings of 50ct m5 LEDs(2 per channel), 4 colors per string (red, blue green cool white), 16 channels of LOR per color.

4340909605ec4d8cbdee09b1cfb530b6.JPG&size=640x480

Thanks guys for the info. I talked with Paul @ CDI today and he is saying his favorite for Mega Trees is C6 also. I am looking at a tree in the 20-25' range. I have already ordered 5mm's from Paul but he said I can change it up until the preorder closes (+ any costs obviously) So is everyone in agreement that C6 is the best bet? Also I was planning on going 3 colors (Red, Green and Warm White) Should I add blue as a 4th color? Also should I stick with Warm White or go with Cool White? Cool White just does not seem like a Christmas color to me. Thanks!!

I use C6 LEDs on a 20' tree (24 with the star) with about 13 inch spacing. 48 strands in all.

I'm also using C6 LEDs on the roof (red), the mini trees (white) and the bushes (blue). An all around good size bulb for many applications IMO.

Man I wish I could afford LED's but starting to think they may be good for things like roof outlines and bushes. Building a mega with LEDs would cost me over $700 just in lights.:eek:

Man I wish I could afford LED's but starting to think they may be good for things like roof outlines and bushes. Building a mega with LEDs would cost me over $700 just in lights.:eek:

Doing the roof and bushes may be cheaper and not using as many strands. I used about 16 strands (70count) of red C6 LEDs for the roof (doubled the strands for a richer, fuller look. Then 600 blue C6 LEDs for each bush. And 210 pure white C6 LEDs for each mini tree.

I ask the same question before I built my mega tree and I ask what people thought about C9s for a 15' tree. I had very little response here on PC. I decided to go ahead and use the C9s, let me caution everyone, you MUST have a pole or tower that will handle the weight of the C9s, they are HEAVY. My tree has 3200 C9s, 16 strings of 75 blue leds, 16 strings of 75 red leds, and 16 strings of 50 multi color leds. ( 128 sets of lights ) Here are some pictures.

Earle

P.S. That is a ROHN tower. Viedo can be seen on VIMEO - Talley Lights

Edited by Earle W Talley
    add info

Thanks guys for the advise. I ordered 3 cases of pure white, red, green and blue c6 100 bulb strands from Paul for my mega tree. Not cheap but I am in this for the long run and want to do it right. I am thinking of using 32 strands of each color with either 1 or 2 stands per channel. I am going to be building a bunch of Renard 24 controllers so I'll have access to as many channels as I need. I'll post some pictures when we get it setup.

Thanks

I ordered 3 cases of pure white, red, green and blue c6 100 bulb strands from Paul for my mega tree.

Please express your colors correctly when ordering.

"Red, White & Blue" then green.

Good ole USA. I love it. :santasmileyitty:

I couldn't resist. I've been in the military 26 years.

I used 64 strings of C3 LEDs this year and I had many comments on how bright the tree was, including several who thought it was too bright. But I liked the brightness just fine, which is one of the reasons I went with LEDs. Interesting is that at the beginning of November I was not planning to use LEDs, but my old minis. Then HD had the $3 off trade in sale. I took in 5 strings of old lights and got 5 coupons. I bought 5 boxes of LEDs to use for something else . They were $8 and I got them for $5. Found out that one coupon could be used for 5 new boxes, but on the back of the coupon it said clearly to return the coupon to the customer. So I went back the next day to get some more and jokingly told the manager that I would be back everyday until they ran out. I was told just get as many as you want and we will take $3 off each box. That's when I decided to switch my megatree over to LEDs. I even went to other stores to get additional colors that my closest store did not have and told the cashier to keep scanning the coupon until all the lights had been discounted. They could not believe that it worked, but I ended up with 16 boxes of R,W,B, and G. Then about 10 days after the coupon expired I noticed that my lights had been reduced to $6 per box, so I took my receipts for 64 boxes back and asked for $2 per box credit. I got the credit and promptly bought more lights so I ended up putting 3200 LED lights on by megatree for $3 per box and it looked great.post-7620-129571195455_thumb.jpg

I used 64 strings of C3 LEDs this year and I had many comments on how bright the tree was, including several who thought it was too bright. But I liked the brightness just fine, which is one of the reasons I went with LEDs. Interesting is that at the beginning of November I was not planning to use LEDs, but my old minis. Then HD had the $3 off trade in sale. I took in 5 strings of old lights and got 5 coupons. I bought 5 boxes of LEDs to use for something else . They were $8 and I got them for $5. Found out that one coupon could be used for 5 new boxes, but on the back of the coupon it said clearly to return the coupon to the customer. So I went back the next day to get some more and jokingly told the manager that I would be back everyday until they ran out. I was told just get as many as you want and we will take $3 off each box. That's when I decided to switch my megatree over to LEDs. I even went to other stores to get additional colors that my closest store did not have and told the cashier to keep scanning the coupon until all the lights had been discounted. They could not believe that it worked, but I ended up with 16 boxes of R,W,B, and G. Then about 10 days after the coupon expired I noticed that my lights had been reduced to $6 per box, so I took my receipts for 64 boxes back and asked for $2 per box credit. I got the credit and promptly bought more lights so I ended up putting 3200 LED lights on by megatree for $3 per box and it looked great.[ATTACH]29314[/ATTACH]

I love it.....Way ta GO !! I'm printing ths post and showing it to my wife. I told her we don't have to spend a Zillion Dollars to do our Christmas Display, and your post proves it.

Gene

THeres always the possiblity to build a megatree like this using leds.

Belive me MPH I would love to but the cost between those LEDs and some C6s is still to much for me. I am closely following your development thought as I have a few smaller projects that I might try doing this year if everything works out. Then maybe in a few years when your RGB leds drop in price I'll pull the trigger. Otherwise if your are looking for some one to help on R&D with a mega tree let me know :)