LED Question for Mega Tree

I posted this over in the Mega Tree forum but figured I might link it here as I need to make a decision soon.

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?p=447921

I am trying to decide between 5mm, M6 or C6 bulbs for a Mega Tree. Its a big investment so I want to make sure I do it correctly. I have very little experience with LEDs besides C7 and C9 Retro bulbs so am looking for some experienced advise. Thanks again and sorry for the cross post.

I already gave you an opinion of my 5mm 12' megatree. You can go here http://www.vimeo.com/8215322 and see a video of a 5mm tree in action. You will see gapes in the string where the lights don't show because they are facing away. It actually looks a little more sparse in person. I am thinking of changing places with my c6's in the bushes next year as I could then aim them toward the street better. The minitrees are also 5mm but look brighter as they are aimed toward the street.

I already gave you an opinion of my 5mm 12' megatree. You can go here http://www.vimeo.com/8215322 and see a video of a 5mm tree in action. You will see gapes in the string where the lights don't show because they are facing away. It actually looks a little more sparse in person. I am thinking of changing places with my c6's in the bushes next year as I could then aim them toward the street better. The minitrees are also 5mm but look brighter as they are aimed toward the street.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you ;)

1. Even incandescent minis do what you're referring to in your post above, for evidence, see the pic I attached of my 20' tall megatree with 40 strings of 100 count red minis all lit at once.

2. I watched your video and I think your megatree looks great, considering how few lights you appear to have on it for each of the solid colors. Its hard to see, but it appears you have around 20 strings of at least red, right? How tall is the tree? What I'm seeing is a ton of space between strings and that exaggerates where bulbs are "facing the wrong way". Again, look at my attached pic, I have 40 strings of red (and green) and even with my standard incandescent minis, there are some spots if you look really hard that don't have light facing the camera.

There's not a single string of light (aside from having 100 HUGE bulbs coming down the tree with 4" spacing) that is going to make that problem go away (i.e. wider than the power cord itself). An M5 or M6 won't do it and I'm guessing that a C6 probably won't even do it.

This is all my opinion and I'm not knocking your tree, just making a suggestion. I think that if I was going to do a megatree or anything involving a "single LED" bulb (and by that I mean anything that is not a C7 or C9 with multiple LEDs in each bulb), I'd be going with the 5mm because they are simply the brightest bulbs I have seen from the side and from the front...

Just my $0.10, your tree looks great! Just put a few more strings to each channel.

Actually 16 strings each color (48 total). 12 feet tall. I was hoping to double the number this year but with wally world not having any leds after Christmas for sale I may not be able to afford that this year. Also a little worried about the weight of 96 strings on pvc so may have to switch to fence rail if the pvc starts to bow to much.

Actually 16 strings each color (48 total). 12 feet tall. I was hoping to double the number this year but with wally world not having any leds after Christmas for sale I may not be able to afford that this year. Also a little worried about the weight of 96 strings on pvc so may have to switch to fence rail if the pvc starts to bow to much.

So I was close by guessing 20! One of the reasons I have always used incadenscents for my mega tree is the frightening cost of the mini LEDs (even at Walmart), so I understand your perspective... If you have a 12 foot tree with a 6' diameter base, that would be an 18' perimeter roughly and with 16 strings, that is over a foot between those strings at the base. Obviously if you doubled up to 32 strings, you could cut down to almost 6" gap and 1/2 way up the tree the gap would be much smaller (probably around 3").

I think that rather than moving in another direction with the C6s, I would simply add more of the 5mm and you will probably be pretty happy...