Feb Newsletter denotes our 2009 Christmas Display Contest Win

Our Monthly newsletter just came out today and so I snapped a shot of the article that shows where and why we won the Christmas Front Yard Decorating contest in 2009. There were two categories, Best Yard and Most Original. Our neighbor next right door to us took "Best Yard" and we won "Most Original"

Please see the attached photo for details (below):

[ATTACH]29426[/ATTACH]

And here are some static shots of the decor in 2009 (this was using a 4 channel wireless Mr. Christmas unit to control all the lights):

[ATTACH]29427[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29428[/ATTACH][ATTACH]29429[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29430[/ATTACH]

See more photo's in next post.

Edited by LOR-CF

Some more photo's of the display:

[ATTACH]29431[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29432[/ATTACH][ATTACH]29433[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29434[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29435[/ATTACH]

Now if they thought that meager little 4 channel wireless Mr. Christmas was something to see, wait 'til they see what I'll be doing with 48 channels and LOR in 2010, which will be my first animated display using the LOR controllers, ShowTime MP3 Director and Mobile BlackBox Eclipse 4000 FM Transmitter. They ain't seen nothin' yet!:giggle:

BTW: we weren't in it for the contest, we just try to make a unique and enjoyable display for everyone to watch. I do this because I enjoy and love decorating.

BTW: Halloween will be the first real holiday that I'll be using LOR, so they'll get a small sampling of how the Christmas display will be going when I start pulling out all the Christmas lights and other Christmas goodies to start setting up!;)

Edited by LOR-CF

Thanks everyone. The lady that did the newsletter write up came by before the actual print to make sure our names were spelled correctly in the newsletter And when she did, she was telling my wife and I how wonderful and original our display was. I asked her if she knew how my 2009 display worked and she said, yes, I've seen the Mr. Christmas units in the stores, but never knew they could do what you did with it.

I told her that this year (2010) I am working on an even bigger Christmas project and display that would have a LOT more surprises in store for the neighborhood and that this year I would be going completely computer control of the display. I didn't want to get too technical for her and talk about the ShowTime MP3 Director that would actually be in charge of controlling the entire show from a little box! LOL

I asked if she'd like to see a sneak peek at what I was working on in my now "back workroom" where I have my current 16 channel controller, FM Transmitter and ShowTime MP3 Director for doing small test/light runs. Got Christmas lights hanging off the walls, ceiling, floor, all over the place.:rolleyes:

So I invited her in to my workroom and gave her a sample of a couple of the songs I was working on at the time, one for Christmas, which was Wizards of Winter and one for Halloween, Sololiquy by Midnight Syndicate. She couldn't believe what I was doing and said she can't wait to see the Halloween and Christmas displays this year.:D

So I'm bouncing back and forth sequencing songs for both Halloween and Christmas, when I get tired of hearing one, I swap off and work on the other. I've actually got somewhere like 6 songs each as works in progress.

I would say I've completed quite a few sequences (but are they really ever complete complete?)

And since I will be adding two more controllers to total my channel count to 48 this month (Feb. 2010) sometime, I know I'm going to have to go back in and do some additional sequencing for teh additions.

So if those ladies thought a 4 channel wireless Mr. Christmas was a sight to behold, I'm gonna love to see the look on their faces when they come around this year to judge the displays!

I think they're going to look something like this::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

But it'll all be well worth it!:giggle:

Edited by LOR-CF

Thanks everyone. The lady that did the newsletter write up came by before the actual print to make sure our names were spelled correctly in the newsletter And when she did, she was telling my wife and I how wonderful and original our display was. I asked her if she knew how my 2009 display worked and she said, yes, I've seen the Mr. Christmas units in the stores, but never knew they could do what you did with it.

I told her that this year (2010) I am working on an even bigger Christmas project and display that would have a LOT more surprises in store for the neighborhood and that this year I would be going completely computer control of the display. I didn't want to get too technical for her and talk about the ShowTime MP3 Director that would actually be in charge of controlling the entire show from a little box! LOL

I asked if she'd like to see a sneak peek at what I was working on in my now "back workroom" where I have my current 16 channel controller, FM Transmitter and ShowTime MP3 Director for doing small test/light runs. Got Christmas lights hanging off the walls, ceiling, floor, all over the place.:rolleyes:

So I invited her in to my workroom and gave her a sample of a couple of the songs I was working on at the time, one for Christmas, which was Wizards of Winter and one for Halloween, Sololiquy by Midnight Syndicate. She couldn't believe what I was doing and said she can't wait to see the Halloween and Christmas displays this year.:D

So I'm bouncing back and forth sequencing songs for both Halloween and Christmas, when I get tired of hearing one, I swap off and work on the other. I've actually got somewhere like 6 songs each as works in progress.

I would say I've completed quite a few sequences (but are they really ever complete complete?)

And since I will be adding two more controllers to total my channel count to 48 this month (Feb. 2010) sometime, I know I'm going to have to go back in and do some additional sequencing for teh additions.

So if those ladies thought a 4 channel wireless Mr. Christmas was a sight to behold, I'm gonna love to see the look on their faces when they come around this year to judge the displays!

I think they're going to look something like this::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

But it'll all be well worth it!:giggle:

Watch out, you could pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so much.

Watch out, you could pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so much.

Uh oh, too late Cozzi!

Actually the pats are all coming from the neighbors congratulating me for a job well done!

So yea, it gives one a great sense of accomplishment to win something they weren't even trying to win!:cool:

I decorate because I want to, because I love doing it, and for the smiling faces of everyone in the neighborhood that enjoys it. I almost DID NOT decorate at all this past year, not with the death of both my father and my wifes' mother back to back (Sept and Oct.).

And when I told the neighbors I wasn't going to put anything up this year, their sad faces and their understanding just made it hard not to. So after a couple of my neighbors convinced me to decorate anyway, this was the result. Totally unitentional on my part, like said, I don't do it for the contest or to see who is best, I just do it because I find it fun and love to see just what I can come up with that is uniquely different from everyone else around me. :)

So yep, this year will be even more awesome since I have a lot more control over my display than I have ever had in the past years of my decorating themes that started with static displays, then flasher bulbs to blink some of the lights, then to the built in controlled lights that have 8-16 settings on the control box to the Mr. Christmas Wireless 4 channel unit and now to 48 independantly controlled Channels of LOR!

So yea, I'll probably strain myself all right, strain myself putting up all the new lights and display pieces this year.:121_reindeer::giggle:

Congratulations on your win! It sounds like your display is going to be even greater in 2010. Be careful and remember why you do this. Don't burn out. Contests are nice, but I don't think that is the reason you put so much time and money into this hobby.

Absolutely correct Mike! I do it because I enjoy doing it. Sure it's nice to get recognized and win a contest now and again, but that definitely is not the reason I do it.

Every year my Halloween display gets bigger and bigger and the neighbors just can't wait to see what I'm going to do from year to year. We don't have any Halloween contests, but we have always gotten recognition for our animated Halloween Displays. So with LOR this year will make it even more interesting and entertaining I'm sure.

And I'm not about to burn myself out on this, I'm taking my time and when I can't sleep or can't do much in the yard due to it raining, which it has done the last 2 or 3 days now, I go read the forums and work on my sequences.

I'm just waiting for that nice fat income tax refund to get here so I can get the other 2 CTB16PC controllers, of course that'll mean pulling out some additional lights from the stockpile to run my tests.

My brother in law thinks I'm nuts having all these Christmas light strings "push pinned" to the walls and screwed to the baseboards around my workroom so I can see how they are going to react to the music as I sequence and test things out.

But I'm having a blast doing it. Just can't wait 'til I can get the other controllers in here to really see how it's all going to play out in my "LOR testing room". Due to the HOA rules, can't really do a temp set up and test outside like I'd like to be able to do. So I've created my own little Christmas/Halloween work room to run what tests I can. Just hope it looks as good when time for the big events to go down and I have everything in place for the show(s).