Washington State Mini PLUS Topic Poll

What topics would you like to see at the Washington Mini PLUS?  

1. 1. What topics would you like to see at the Washington Mini PLUS?

• Wire Frame Construction
    • Plywood Cutouts
    • Sequencing (Non-manufacturer specific)
    • EL Wire
    • Soldering
    • DIY (Lynx, MR16...)
    • Pixels (RGB)
    • DMX (yokes, strobes, 200B...)
    • Electrical
    • Mega Trees

This is where you tell us what you want to learn about.

You can vote for more than one but don't be afraid to reply with an idea of your own.

For the soldering session you will solder up a small kit (Christmas tree) and you will get

to keep the soldering iron and kit. The cost will about $10 to defray the cost of the iron

and the kit. Let us know if you are interested in this session so we can have enough

kits on hand.

See you Saturday April 24th! (also Friday night for pizza)

Kevin & Mark

Edited by wirekat

Hey Kevin.

I think there is a subject that needs to be talked about that I havn't seen anyone talk about at the minis. "Security".

Great suggestion. It certainly doesn't matter what quality of neighborhood you live in, there are those few who can't keep their hands off. I didn't have anything disappear this year, but found my poor little reindeer "mating" twice. Obviously a teenager prank.

I really enjoyed getting to do a hands-on project last mini, so the soldering project caught my eye.

I'm looking forward to more inspiration. I feel my show's a little stale and I need to change things up a bit.

What is the topic of Pixels intended to cover?

Those are the RGB leds that come on various forms (strings, strips) that allow color mixing. Think D-Light FireFlys or LOR Cosmic Color Ribbon. I think the topic will more on the DYI RGB pixels that are available.

Wow, I can't believe it's already mid-Feb. I feel like my life is in fast forward! I'm not sure what the soldering of a small Christmas tree is, but it sounds like fun! :)

My main goals for this coming season are:

a) better LEDs for my C7 roofline; I'm using the screw-in replacements for my standard C7 stringers and they don't fade worth a crap and make my electrical system buzz when faded below 50%. I'd love to see some good information on LEDs for that scenario - the different kinds, how well they work with LOR, where to buy, etc.

B) color wash DMX; I'd like to hear how other people have gone about running DMX cable all over their house/yard

c) strobes; I'd like to add some strobes to my sequences, but not sure how/where/why

d) cosmic color ribbon; I got one, but didn't use it because apparently I'm not creative enough :) I couldn't come up with a good use for just one. Maybe I just need to get a lot more of them and do a 3D megatree! Yeah, I thought of that, but the bank account said no. Would love to hear what others are thinking for these little wonders!

Also, I built a small megatree this year with rope light, and I'm planning on editing a video of the construction of it soon. I'll post that here when I get it done if others are interested in the deets.

d

Well since Boll Foley (and others) will be in attendance there should be plenty of servo information. We may have someone present a bit on servos since LOR has a new(er) servo board.

Since I have n NO idea about them..or if it would even fall into one of the categories already listed, I want to know more about using servos...

I know we have covered these, but they are still very important due to the rapidly changing technology:

1- LEDs (replaceable, full wave/half wave, rusty sockets, fading/snubbers; smart buying guide)

2 - Strobes (LED vs, incadescent, colored lenses or not, do we still need conformal coating on the boards, hanging them in a mega-t, where to get them since daryl is out).

-Darin

Good idea Darin. Would you like to tackle this one? I'm sure Mark and I could come up with the various types.

I know we have covered these, but they are still very important due to the rapidly changing technology:

1- LEDs (replaceable, full wave/half wave, rusty sockets, fading/snubbers; smart buying guide)

2 - Strobes (LED vs, incadescent, colored lenses or not, do we still need conformal coating on the boards, hanging them in a mega-t, where to get them since daryl is out).

-Darin

Soldering update.

We are thinking about using the DIY kits being offered int he DIY forums.

There are two kits available. A through hole type and surface mount type.

These are not the Christmas tree kits but an LED chaser type kit.

In the future you will see a lot more of the surface mount type as manufactures are actually starting to discontinue the through hole and DIP type chips.

We can do both in the solder class.

Please reply to this thread and let us know if you want to do the solder class. We will be doing both types so just let us know. We want to make sure we have enough kits.

Cost will be $5 which includes a solder iron and kit.

I for one have never solderd an SMD, so that would be fun to try, because Kevin is right, SMD is the future.

As far as replacable LEDs, I will have something to talk about at the Mini. I have been working with Holiday Lights and some replacable LEDs. This is very encouraging.

Soldering update.

We are thinking about using the DIY kits being offered int he DIY forums.

There are two kits available. A through hole type and surface mount type.

These are not the Christmas tree kits but an LED chaser type kit.

Is there a link you can provide?

Count me IN for the solder class. Also, I have a few high torque servos that I could bring up for the servo demo.

One other thing I thought was cool were all the "show and tell" items that were stacked on tables and benches. I think Z-man was planning on bringing one of those cool 1.5" pcv lighted candy canes; right? :)

One other fantastic benefit of the Mini is it provides us with a support group friends and some motivation to complete the projects for the next season.

-Darin

I agree - A show and tell who be a great time.

We also want to do the swap meet too.

Count me IN for the solder class. Also, I have a few high torque servos that I could bring up for the servo demo.

One other thing I thought was cool were all the "show and tell" items that were stacked on tables and benches. I think Z-man was planning on bringing one of those cool 1.5" pcv lighted candy canes; right? :)

One other fantastic benefit of the Mini is it provides us with a support group friends and some motivation to complete the projects for the next season.

-Darin