Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
hoyt clagwell

Drainage Factory

Err, Imma have to take that back. I didn't look at the prices, and this got waaaay to rich for my blood.

Prices? Where?, I don't see a price list? Did I miss it?

But like said I'm interested in the Halloween line of Blowmolds they make as well! And prices too of course!;)

Edited by LOR-CF

Andrew, thanks for the pictures and Tyler, thanks for the prices. It's funny that only 5 years ago the prices were pretty cheap. Does anyone know if they ever actually made the soldier in that color?

Ma, nice picture even if it wasn't the Islanders Stanley Cup. :mad:

I'll bet your son was happy that day!

Carrie,

Thats from 05 I think. That penguin is not in production along with a few other items. I doubt they will have them. Its worth a try! :)

Andrew, that page is not from 2005. In January 2005 I had talked with Ken at Drainage about their catalogs and asked if they had any left over catalogs from previous years and he told me that he would check and see if he could find anything for me. When I received their 2005 Christmas, Easter and Halloween catalogs (blow mold and rope lighting ones) that page was in the envelope along with a note from Ken saying that it was all that he could find in the way of older catalogs and he did not know what year it was from. Both sides of that sheet have been on the catalog CD through the years, it is on there as "Drainage Christmas Catalog 0000", I used the"0000" because I do not know what year it is from, only that it was sometime prior to 2005.

That page was printed on slick glossy paper while their 2005 catalogs were not.

Mel

Andrew, that page is not from 2005. In January 2005 I had talked with Ken at Drainage about their catalogs and asked if they had any left over catalogs from previous years and he told me that he would check and see if he could find anything for me. When I received their 2005 Christmas, Easter and Halloween catalogs (blow mold and rope lighting ones) that page was in the envelope along with a note from Ken saying that it was all that he could find in the way of older catalogs and he did not know what year it was from. Both sides of that sheet have been on the catalog CD through the years, it is on there as "Drainage Christmas Catalog 0000", I used the"0000" because I do not know what year it is from, only that it was sometime prior to 2005.

That page was printed on slick glossy paper while their 2005 catalogs were not.

Mel

Mel,

I think I have a physical copy of this sheet. I got mine from someone that found out about this company years ago and started ordering from them. I just pulled 2005 out of the air because thats what my file said as a "last modified" date. It looks 90's to me. Who know. Now on to find out if they have any of those steel molds still around to re-issue any of them. That would be nice

Guest Matilda

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; who knew this thread would still have legs?

Tom and I were discussing that! LOL

It's fun to get a chance to socialize and banter with other blowmold enthusiasts... It also will be interesting to see if a road trip ever actually materializes! :D

Oh... with the proper advance warning to the factory of course! ;) We blowmolders would never want to be considered rude! :P

Tom and I were discussing that! LOL

It's fun to get a chance to socialize and banter with other blowmold enthusiasts... It also will be interesting to see if a road trip ever actually materializes! :D

Oh... with the proper advance warning to the factory of course! ;) We blowmolders would never want to be considered rude! :P

Yes, it is fun to socialize with other blow molders. I hope a road trip does materialize. Would love to put faces to the avatars. No rudeness allowed....good idea....... :D:cool:

Guest A.F.NUT

Yes, it is fun to socialize with other blow molders. I hope a road trip does materialize. Would love to put faces to the avatars. No rudeness allowed....good idea....... :D:cool:

I have said this before, it's often in these nothing threads that so much is learned about each other, frienships are made and fun is had by all. I think it would be fun to get together and go to Drainage even if they were closed, if for no other reason to get together and have some fun!

Tom

Guest Matilda

I have said this before, it's often in these nothing threads that so much is learned about each other, frienships are made and fun is had by all. I think it would be fun to get together and go to Drainage even if they were closed, if for no other reason to get together and have some fun!

Tom

I think you're swell and all.... :P BUT there had better be some blowmolds waiting for me at the end of a fourteen hour drive!! :cool:

Guest A.F.NUT

I think you're swell and all.... :P BUT there had better be some blowmolds waiting for me at the end of a fourteen hour drive!! :cool:

Well I guess that woulden't hurt either! Fourteen hours mabye you can just bring me back some! LOL

Tom

Sounds like a tag line was just born..

I swore I was not going to get suckered into blow molds. Esp. with all of the room it takes to store them. Bought one Santa, then a small Santa and angel. Then two light post. Now cant wait to find my next blow mold. Wife would like a Mrs. Santa next.

To the roadies, have a fun trip. Wish I could come along.

Guest A.F.NUT

I swore I was not going to get suckered into blow molds. Esp. with all of the room it takes to store them. Bought one Santa, then a small Santa and angel. Then two light post. Now cant wait to find my next blow mold. Wife would like a Mrs. Santa next.

Once you buy one it's all over, welcome to the wonderful side of plastic! They store easier than you think, you just have to be organized!

Tom

Once you buy one it's all over, welcome to the wonderful side of plastic! They store easier than you think, you just have to be organized!

Tom

Is it the wonderful side or the dark side??? Just kidding...

Sometimes the thrill of the hunt is just as great as getting them. It sure is addictive.

Guest Matilda

Welcome to the dark side!!!!! :D It's a sickness! All of our stories start like yours... just one Santa... and ten years later our spouses are writing into that new show 'Hoarders'! ;)

Guest A.F.NUT

Is it the wonderful side or the dark side??? Just kidding...

Sometimes the thrill of the hunt is just as great as getting them. It sure is addictive.

I guess it does have it's dark moments LOL But I do love the hunt, ran into a little old lady last year when I spotted the Dapol snowman at a fle market ,all I could see was the snowman, then trying to act like I didn't want him to get a deal, he was a steal!

Tom

Guest Matilda

I guess it does have it's dark moments LOL But I do love the hunt, ran into a little old lady last year when I spotted the Dapol snowman at a fle market ,all I could see was the snowman, then trying to act like I didn't want him to get a deal, he was a steal!

Tom

You stole a snowman from a little old lady? :eek:

Guest A.F.NUT

You stole a snowman from a little old lady? :eek:

No I ran over the old lady, LOL And then I payed very little for the snowman.

Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

You gotta do whatcha gotta do when it comes to blow molds. :rolleyes:

Exactly! And that one I had wanted in the worst way.

Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

Good score...Sorry old lady...I would do the same. I don't have him but I want him. He is definitely on my list of must haves.

He really is one of my favorites, I don't know what it is. And I just didn't want to pay an ebay price for him, but I was getting close, patience pays off!

Tom

Are any of you molders going to the Chicago mini?

It doesn't look like a far ride from there!

Jim, its not that far..and I have offered to do a group buy, but apparently no one was interested as my post was ignored. There are molders coming to Chicago, and for those that are, my offer still stands.

Jim, its not that far..and I have offered to do a group buy, but apparently no one was interested as my post was ignored. There are molders coming to Chicago, and for those that are, my offer still stands.

We didn't mean to ignore you Carrie. We are still deciding what to do and whether we are going to make a side trip. When we finally get our collective heads together, we'll be sure to let you know our plans.

You know how hard it is to get a bunch of people together....and to agree...that's a whole nother ball game too...right?