Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
hoyt clagwell

Drainage Factory

A couple of weekends ago we ventured up to Appleton, WI for an overnight trip (my daughter auditioned at Lawrence U. as a soprano). On the way out of town we drove by the Drainage Industries plant. Now, my experience with factories is pretty much limited to Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory so I was expecting a magical facility where truckloads of plastic pellets and recycled grocery bags went in one end and beautiful lighted figurines miraculously sprang out of the other. Instead, this is what we saw:

Drainageplant.jpg

I'm not REALLY disappointed but I was definitely underwhelmed.

That's pretty cool. The simple fact that you drove by it has to be pretty awesome. Too bad there was not plastic figurines jumping out the sides.

Guest Matilda

LOL!! Thanks for sharing... You're right... Doesn't look like the magical blowmold factory of my imagination! What's next? Gonna tell me there is no Santa? ;)

Guest Matilda

Yes, Matilda, there IS a Santa Claus. I see photos of him all over this site. He lives over our garage!

(swipes beads of perspiration from her brow) Whew!! :P Thanks!!

A couple of weekends ago we ventured up to Appleton, WI for an overnight trip (my daughter auditioned at Lawrence U. as a soprano). On the way out of town we drove by the Drainage Industries plant. Now, my experience with factories is pretty much limited to Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory so I was expecting a magical facility where truckloads of plastic pellets and recycled grocery bags went in one end and beautiful lighted figurines miraculously sprang out of the other. Instead, this is what we saw:

Drainageplant.jpg

looks like most factories I've seen too. Seems many factories are now using these aluminum buildings for their businesses. They've been doing this in Florida for a very long time now. It's just cheaper than a basic building like you picture in your head or see in movies.

Talk about a reality wake-up when you finally see the real factory and how it looks.:giggle:

Would be nice if Drainage had a webstore where you could buy their blowmolds direct from them! Just know if I could see what they offered and could buy it direct, that is the route I'd take for many of my BlowMold purchases.

If you were underwhelmed by the outside it's a good thing you didn't go inside. The orange front door will give you an idea of the 70s decorating style in the office. Once you pay for your items you go across the street to one of their other buildings and pick up the molds. There are cases and cases of molds ready to go.

No Oomp Loomp cars in the parking lot? Maybe they do live there. LOL Looks just like the factory I work at. That ugly outside hides an uglier inside. Worked in factories most of my life. They ALL look better from the outside.

If you were underwhelmed by the outside it's a good thing you didn't go inside. The orange front door will give you an idea of the 70s decorating style in the office. Once you pay for your items you go across the street to one of their other buildings and pick up the molds. There are cases and cases of molds ready to go.

Just curious...It sounds like you can buy directly from the factory. Can you? Do they have catalog sales too?

Thanks

Just curious...It sounds like you can buy directly from the factory. Can you? Do they have catalog sales too?

Thanks

Yes, you can buy directly from the factory, you just need to be willing to go there and pick up your molds.

Interesting, so it does sound from the above that you can buy directly from the factory. So do they have a sales order or other kind of contact phone number or a way to contact them through e-mail about the possibility of a catalog (hopefully witrh prices) if they have such a thing?

Would definitely be interested in getting a catalog if available and even ordering some items from them direct myself.

So could you or do you have any additional information on this?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can buy directly from the factory, you just need to be willing to go there and pick up your molds.

Well that's a bummer! Would be nice if they'd sell direct and ship orders! I'll bet there are a lot of folks right here on PC that would order direct from them if they would sell and ship!

Seems they're missing a big niche on their own market by not doing this.

Ah well, it was hopeful there for a few moments anyway.

Thanks for the info Carrie but is sure is a long way from NY. :eek:

Do you know if they also have catalog sales?

Well that's a bummer! Would be nice if they'd sell direct and ship orders! I'll bet there are a lot of folks right here on PC that would order direct from them if they would sell and ship!

Seems they're missing a big niche on their own market by not doing this.

Ah well, it was hopeful there for a few moments anyway.

Really, it all depends on who you know, I have a guy that lives 25miles from me and last year he was one of General Foam's largest NON-Store Front buyers, he has his CDL and a truck to drive and pick up the molds. He also has connections to Drainage and its awesome that he lives so close!!

So there may be someone in the FL area willing to go in and do a bulk order of molds most of the time you have to have a minimum order, I think GF's is 1000 pieces so if you could get into one of the pre orders theres a possibility!!

Guest Matilda

C'mon.... ROAD TRIP!!! :giggle:

We'll send FredEx! LOL

They do have a catalogue..I'm pretty sure a few members here have it.

Guess I'm gonna have to do a family search and see if I have any relatves in Appleton WI or anywhere near there.

Still think they'd sell a lot more if they sold and shipped from their facility.

But datsa jussa me!:giggle:

Guess I'm gonna have to do a family search and see if I have any relatves in Appleton WI or anywhere near there.

Still think they'd sell a lot more if they sold and shipped from their facility.

But datsa jussa me!:giggle:

They probably don't want to deal with hiring all the people to open up a distribution facility to take orders, package, and ship. especially with the economy the way it is and since they are one of the few that are managing to keep their doors open and producing blowmolds

Would be nice though

C'mon.... ROAD TRIP!!! :giggle:

We'll send FredEx! LOL

You guys should go there before the Chicago mini, and deliever to us who are going and can't get up to Wisconsin. Maybe even bring them back to Virginia for a certian person who will remain nameless. :D

You guys should go there before the Chicago mini, and deliever to us who are going and can't get up to Wisconsin. Maybe even bring them back to Virginia for a certian person who will remain nameless. :D

We should all go to the Chicago mini and the Drainage Factory! That would be some road trip. They wouldn't know what to do with all of us. lol

They probably don't want to deal with hiring all the people to open up a distribution facility to take orders, package, and ship. especially with the economy the way it is and since they are one of the few that are managing to keep their doors open and producing blowmolds

Would be nice though

Well in the terms of business sense, it does and does not make sense. Because if they did sell direct and ship from their facility, this could increase their sales quotas, which in turn would increase their profits, which also would pay for 1 to 2 guys to pack and ship the molds.

I know, I used to be 1 of 2 shipping and receivers at a very busy electronics parts supply company, many days I was the ONLY person in the warehouse shipping and receiving orders. And believe me, some of those orders were in the thousands and even some millions of dollars and were just as large as any blowmolds out there. So it could be done with minimal personell, the key is, the company or someone higher up in the chain needs to want to do it.

Until that happens, it doesn't happen and most companies, by being somewhat exclusive, end up stifling themselves by not opening up like this, then the next thing you know, another company has folded. Believe me, I've worked for quite a few companies that did just that, wanted to be exclusive, not a one of them is now in business.

Now I'm not saying that would happen here, but sometimes a company truly needs to look at a bigger picture and to get that bigger piece of the pie to stay in operation, make some changes, such as selling direct to the public and handling the shipping of their product. It's really not all that difficult and like said, could be handled with basically a skeleton crew until such time it's really turning even larger profits, where they could actually hire more "packers & shippers" if truly needed.

Guess I'll just keep an eye out in the local retailers and hope I can find what I want! Just hope this year is better than last years slim pickings!

p.s. now if Drainage wants to hire me for a packer/shipper, I'll work for BlowMolds!:giggle: But the catch is they got to pay my way up there first!:121_reindeer:

Edited by LOR-CF