Franks Mighty Mini LED lights!

Are these confirmed as being a 'bolt in' replacement for the standard housings being used? These look a little larger - like the one used on the Lynx Aether.

The ones that I'm using with Frank's boards are 150W floods, not the 500W ones.

I did purchase some 500W ones, and then held the board close to it, and discovered they were much larger than the board.

The 150W ones are about $9 at Lowes. Don't know if NT carries anything that small.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are these confirmed as being a 'bolt in' replacement for the standard housings being used? These look a little larger - like the one used on the Lynx Aether.

Those are definitely larger, significantly larger - I have one I use as a work light.

Since the reflector is not used (much anyway) for the MM, I would prefer the smaller size housing.

Those are the resistor values I used. They ran great for the 2009 season. 16 total floods.

Magii, CeCe's LEDs are what I used exclusively.

Here are the resistor values that the DIY guys decided to use. red=68ohms green=56ohms blue=39ohms white=47ohms

I've built 3 of these so far, and have had one of them constantly changing colors for the past 2 weeks, using LORDC. I haven't had any problems so far. What I may do this weekend is test each color on constantly for a couple days each just to see what happens. I love these things, and I'm hoping they are going to solve my color wash problems.

Bill

Those are the resistor values I used. They ran great for the 2009 season. 16 total floods.

Magii, CeCe's LEDs are what I used exclusively.

I ordered the second round of .5watt LEDs this week. Trying to space it out so I'm not dropping $400 all at once. :giggle:

Temporarily Backordered :eek:

For those of us who purchased the MM boards, Northern Tool is having a sale tomorrow 10-75% off

Their 500w portable halogen worklight is already marked down to $6.79

Nice little units but may require a pass or two with the green spray can

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309783_200309783

The ones that I'm using with Frank's boards are 150W floods, not the 500W ones.

I did purchase some 500W ones, and then held the board close to it, and discovered they were much larger than the board.

The 150W ones are about $9 at Lowes. Don't know if NT carries anything that small.

Since the local Northern store is only 5-6 miles from the office, I figured I'd better do a little extra homework after work instead of driving back in 35 miles for nil on Saturday. The fixture that I noted prior has an outside measurement on the lense of 7"w x 5.5"h x 5"deep. If I recall correctly, the fixture being used from Lowes is this one

Height (Inches)5.5Width (Inches)6.0Length (Inches)4.67

Not much variance between the two.

Does anyone have the physical size of the PC board???

080083500550lg.jpg

Anhyone know if C-Leds is offering any price breaks on quantities, or if there is a group buy scheduled?

No.

I notice Frank's website is still down for maintenance. Has anyone received their boards yet or received any notification as to when they'll be released ???

No again.

Frank recently posted that he had some issues with Homeland Security due to the size of the order and shipment. Those have been cleared up, and he was planning to go to the airport today to pickup the shipment.

Given that he is riding his bicycle in the MS ride this weekend, it will be mid-week next week before shipments start going out.

Frank recently posted that he had some issues with Homeland Security due to the size of the order and shipment. Those have been cleared up, and he was planning to go to the airport today to pickup the shipment.

Given that he is riding his bicycle in the MS ride this weekend, it will be mid-week next week before shipments start going out.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the shipment, we all appreciate it

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm running a group buy for the LEDs/resistors/terminal strips over on christmascarolina.com.

While CeCe does offer some quantity discounts, we decided to do a local buy of the components. Current pricing looks to be about $34.50 per "kit", including PayPal fees but not including shipping to you. Pricing may vary until final quantities are determined. LED's will be coming from Shop4LEDs on E-bay, and will be the 5 chip version of the 8mm Strawhat LEDs. All resistors are per Frank's recommendation.

Group buy closes on Apr 4, so please get your orders in quickly. Don't post interest here, but go to christmascarolina.com and check the "Bulk Buys" section.

Looks like a good price although Cece's led specs claim to be a little brighter for most:

(mcd) Cece Shop4leds

white. 110k . 110k

warm.. 90k ... 80k

red..... 60k ... 90k

green. 100k .. 95k

blue.... 90k ... 70k

The one exception is red which Frank already accounted for in his design by including more of them. Of course these are only specs and specs are like statistics. YMMV. Although your coop includes resistors that maximize the brightness while still driving the leds at a safe level.

Edited by plasmata

I'd be interested in the coop, but want to know which set is brighter. Mark mentioned on the other board that all of the LEDs in the coop buy will be 5-chip, and CeCe sells single-chip or 3-chip LEDs (that are larger). Anyone out there know for sure?

I'm tempted to stick with CeCe since Frank's boards account for the dimmer Reds. Sounds like the coop buy might result in harsh reds and dimmer blue/green.

Edited by brianfox

I missed a shipment from the mailman today, doesn't say what it was but the only thing I'm waiting on (as far as I know) is the boards. Does this mean they are starting to ship? I'll post tomorrow morning once I find out what the heck it is. Dang it, now I'm excited. Not going to be able to sleep...

I missed a shipment from the mailman today, doesn't say what it was but the only thing I'm waiting on (as far as I know) is the boards. Does this mean they are starting to ship? I'll post tomorrow morning once I find out what the heck it is. Dang it, now I'm excited. Not going to be able to sleep...

Magii

Did your PCBs arrive yesterday or was it a false alarm ???

Is anyone participating in the group buy for LEDs and parts on the Christmas Carolina site??

Magii

Did your PCBs arrive yesterday or was it a false alarm ???

Is anyone participating in the group buy for LEDs and parts on the Christmas Carolina site??

Nope, no PCBs... Just insurance documents from the job I got laid off from. :mad: I know Frank said he was picking them up then he has to re-package them and ship them out. Now that I have my controllers, enclosures, and a few fixtures for the boards completed I'm just getting anxious. I don't know why, I'm still waiting on about half of the LEDs. :giggle: Guess I just need a project.