Powering DC controller

ok... I understand that these thing use a DC power source, but can somebody point me to a link and show me what one really is

sort of a DC for dummies

Philip,

just do a google search for DC Power Supply - you will find all kinds and types.

Some people use power supplies out of old PCs or buy new ones, some use "wall warts" which you can get at Radio Shack.

here is a link with instructions on how to setup a DC controller with a PC power supply:

http://www.christmasinkent.com/howto/HowToDCboard.htm

(this guy is a PlanetChristmas member)

here is the link to the one I bought:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-6251/250W-SERVER-POWER-SUPPLY/1.html

hope this helps!

Craig

that's alot of different info for this dummy, none of these have similar output cables, so how would one make it work with a DC controller.

I know how to use google, but wouldn't know the first thing about figuring out the right one to actually use.

My current lights use 12V so I just use a PC power supply. I understand the 24V ones are on eBay but I wish they would have used the much more common 12V ones for these... Would make the price "free" for most people instead of $50 or so...

In Australia, LOR users are running quite a few DC LOR boards (I had 13 for 2009) and many of us use this type of power supply:- http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370311936942&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This type of power supply is available in a range of Voltage outputs (12, 13.8, 24, 27, 36) and the 350W supplies will typically supply 4-8000 LEDs. I use 1 supply for each 2-3 LOR boards.

(Note that the

ok... I understand that these thing use a DC power source, but can somebody point me to a link and show me what one really is

sort of a DC for dummies

Purchase a 24v DC power supply from ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=24v+switching+power&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Then just call me personally and I'll walk you through it - we'll make it easy.

My current lights use 12V so I just use a PC power supply. I understand the 24V ones are on eBay but I wish they would have used the much more common 12V ones for these... Would make the price "free" for most people instead of $50 or so...

I hear ya Tim....I would have 6 free power supplies at work waiting for me.

Guest Lightzilla

I am glad I came across this thread as I want to buy a DC controller or two this year (If) money permits me to be able to do that.

Just wondering Chris what you are planning to do with your Dc controllers?

Careful, or the MM Gestapo will come over and call you an idiot for suggesting you want to use these.

OK, that's funny.

It's also precisely the reason I designed my floods to run off 5V. Most of the PC supplies in my stockpile deliver an impressive amount of amperage on that rail. And everyone that knows me knows I "collect" them, and they'll stop being my friends if they don't pull the supply out of the computer before they throw it out.

Heck, I might start giving them away at some point. Wait, I already have...

There's lots of ways to skin this cat folks. Some more elegant than others, some more cost effectively than others, some neither of the above. But does that REALLY matter? There is no single "right" answer.

Fabian

Edited by GordonLights
Apparently I needed to use the work "Heck" instead...

Just wondering Chris what you are planning to do with your Dc controllers?

Not sure yet...:D It came part of a package deal with another light controller. Could not pass up the deal. More than likely some LED floods. Now whether its 12 or 24v is the question....lol

This might be why my things keep blowing up, but I can't help thinking:

Couldn't you just wire two PC Power Supplies in series?

Someone else thinks it's a good idea: http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showpost.php?p=461685&postcount=43

Also, what's the wattage requirement on these? I've seen some PC Power Supplies with a -12 Volt supply. The wattage it can put out on -12 is usually lower than +12, but if it's enough you could go across -12 and +12 to get 24... right?

Someone else thinks it's a good idea: http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showpost.php?p=461685&postcount=43

Also, what's the wattage requirement on these? I've seen some PC Power Supplies with a -12 Volt supply. The wattage it can put out on -12 is usually lower than +12, but if it's enough you could go across -12 and +12 to get 24... right?

I just saw that and was thinking the same things yesterday when looking into buying a 24v PS.

Jeez Steve, as stated in the thread like 100 times, the MM require 1 amp and up to 24 watts each. Didn't you read the entire thread? Did you not read the PDF file? Its all there in black and white, red and yellow, blue and orange, gold and pink, fuchsia and taupe . :121_reindeer:

I just saw that and was thinking the same things yesterday when looking into buying a 24v PS.

Jeez Steve, as stated in the thread like 100 times, the MM require 1 amp and up to 24 watts each. Didn't you read the entire thread? Did you not read the PDF file? Its all there in black and white, red and yellow, blue and orange, gold and pink, fuchsia and taupe . :121_reindeer:

Well here you go: First one that came up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707049. Its -12V is 1 Amp. so they exists, you just have to find 'em.

And I apologize for missing the salient details of the MM thread. Some jerk kept asking about resistors and I must have missed the important stuff ;)

I've seen some PC Power Supplies with a -12 Volt supply. The wattage it can put out on -12 is usually lower than +12, but if it's enough you could go across -12 and +12 to get 24... right?

Yes, everything is referenced to ground in an AT/ATX power supply, so in theory you can connect one lead to the +12V and another to the -12 and you'll get 24VDC. HOWEVER, the amperage rating on the -12V rail is generally .8 - 1.0 Amps, WAY less than the +12V rail. Assuming you're driving them to 80% max (mainly to keep the unit from overheating), your new 24 volt power supply is capable of .64 Amps. Really not much of a deal.

I haven't looked at the MM circuit board up close, but given how cheap CAT5 tends to be I'm curious how much work it would be to split the circuit into two 12V circuits that could be jumpered back to a series-based 24V-compatible circuit. This way 12V die-hards would simply run 2 CAT5 cables to power the entire board.

Just a thought.

Fabian

OK, so now I'm curious. Does a DC board require an additional power source to operate the board itself? I guess I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that it was just like an AC board but I can see where varying voltage could be an issue. What is done for a typical MM Setup? I've got 8 of these coming, I'm planning on running them on two D-Light DC boards with two separate 24v switching power supplies. Anyone??

OK, so now I'm curious. Does a DC board require an additional power source to operate the board itself? I guess I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that it was just like an AC board but I can see where varying voltage could be an issue. What is done for a typical MM Setup? I've got 8 of these coming, I'm planning on running them on two D-Light DC boards with two separate 24v switching power supplies. Anyone??

I am pretty sure all you need is the power supply to run the board. I dont remember hearing about needing another power source for the board.