New guy starting mini trees.....LOL

I don't know why you are paying $5-8 per light string...

It wasn't 5-8 per string... it was 5-8 per three strings of 100..

"* $5-8 for mini incandescent lights (300-400) per tree"

This season with the VERY short supply, I generally paid $1.50 per 100 box, or about $4.50 + tax.

I am not knocking the Coro Tree they look cool and I wouldn't mind having a few but the price is too much currently with all the other expenses of controllers etc to buy.

I don't know that the comparison between the CoroTree and the tomato cage is even really appropriate. Cost is just but one of the issues. I don't suspect cost is the primary driver for someone that purchases CoroTrees - there are a number of other advantages to CoroTrees over tomato cages.

With a Tomato Cage Tree you are able to make the entire tree a certain color and the entire tree be fully that color, I don't see this happening with the Coro Trees....

They are called tomato cages, not tomato trees - they look nothing like trees. ;) You can do an entire CoroTree in more than one color - how about this three channel/three color tree that is fully populated with the colors much more evenly than I generally find with tomato cages:

http://vimeo.com/8948709

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't 5-8 per string... it was 5-8 per three strings of 100..

"* $5-8 for mini incandescent lights (300-400) per tree"

This season with the VERY short supply, I generally paid $1.50 per 100 box, or about $4.50 + tax.

I don't know that the comparison between the CoroTree and the tomato cage is even really appropriate. Cost is just but one of the issues. I don't suspect cost is the primary driver for someone that purchases CoroTrees - there are a number of other advantages to CoroTrees over tomato cages.

They are called tomato cages, not tomato trees - they look nothing like trees. ;) You can do an entire CoroTree in more than one color - how about this three channel/three color tree that is fully populated with the colors much more evenly than I generally find with tomato cages:

http://vimeo.com/8948709

I didn't mean to say tomato trees... Meant "tomato cage trees" Anyway tomatoes grow on plants not trees in the first place :D

Now is that a taunt about the controller spreadsheet? :)

Nope, you seem to have lots of good comparisons of totally different things. I'd love to see a direct comparison of advantages/disadvantages of the 3 different types of mini trees discussed. I think it would be a usefull tool to help people wanting to make a few make up their minds about which direction they might want to go.

Nope, you seem to have lots of good comparisons of totally different things. I'd love to see a direct comparison of advantages/disadvantages of the 3 different types of mini trees discussed. I think it would be a usefull tool to help people wanting to make a few make up their minds about which direction they might want to go.

I think it would be a good asset to the community as well, Comparisons really do help when trying to deside IMHO ;)

"totally" different? Like apples and oranges or like oranges and tangerines? Usually I just compare things that are in the same family.

What would we be comparing here? "mini trees"?

Thread jack alert! :eek:

Serious question though...

I know why they are punched that way (odd freq steps in US), but if a guy ordered one of the smaller FM signs, would it be possible to add the half dozen or so holes in the last digit to make it like the first 2 on the "under 100mhz" version?

I like the versatility of number styling and symmetrical appearance. ;)

Ignore the comparison requests... those guys are "jerks" :P

Thread jack alert! :eek:

Serious question though...

I know why they are punched that way (odd freq steps in US), but if a guy ordered one of the smaller FM signs, would it be possible to add the half dozen or so holes in the last digit to make it like the first 2 on the "under 100mhz" version?

I like the versatility of number styling and symmetrical appearance. ;)

Ignore the comparison requests... those guys are "jerks" :P

You are correct - the holes that are "missing" from the last digit, which is always odd, can be added back if you'd like them. If you order one, just make a note in the order checkout screen that you'd like to have all the holes show up for the final digit.

For those wondering what this is refering to:

3.jpg

I'm game for that. How about these comparisons:

* Parts cost to build

* Mounting method

* Wind resistance

* Assembly time

* Daytime aesthetics

* Common Sizes

* Storage volume

* Light distribution

* Multi-Channel/Color support

* Light output direction (degrees)

* Safety

* Durability

* Repair complexity

* Environmental resistance (snow, rain, UV)

How does that sound? Anyone else have more items to add?

* Parts cost to build

* Mounting method

* Wind resistance

* Assembly time

* Daytime aesthetics

* Common Sizes

* Storage volume

* Light distribution

* Safety

* Durability

* Repair complexity

You do something that extensive, you had better find a nice "how to" area and save it there as opposed to being lost in a thread somewhere...Just a thought.

* Parts cost to build

* Mounting method

* Wind resistance

* Assembly time

* Daytime aesthetics

* Common Sizes

* Storage volume

* Light distribution

* Safety

* Durability

* Repair complexity

I would add one more category, kind of a blanket "other advantages." Like I said before, I used my trees to hide my controllers and it helped keep them out of the snow. I'll probably do the same thing next year. I'm sure each design has some unique characteristics that set it apart as well. Maybe it's too much of a catch all category, but something to consider.

I would add one more category, kind of a blanket "other advantages." Like I said before, I used my trees to hide my controllers and it helped keep them out of the snow. I'll probably do the same thing next year. I'm sure each design has some unique characteristics that set it apart as well. Maybe it's too much of a catch all category, but something to consider.

Ok, I'll add:

* Hide controller

Wouldn't the coro trees hide the controllers (at least from the front view) as well as the more standard mini trees?

Maybe just an "other notes" section to catch fringe differences like "can completely hide controller inside tree, if enough lights/garland is used".

I personally think they're two distinct beasts with overlapping (but not identical) uses. It's hard to quantify the differences, since 'standard' mini-trees can be made in so many ways (e.g. wrapped tightly with many lights, wrapped with fewer lights so it can be 'transparent' when off and toward the front of the display, etc). And some of us use rope light on our minis, for a completely different, abstract look. None are 'correct', it's all in what you're looking for... As for which one looks like a tree-- I doubt anyone's going to mistake any of them for a real tree ;)

The coro trees are a great option to have, and are priced decent for what you get.

On Number 3 how often do you strap the wire down?

Every support or every other support?

About every 5th to 8th bulb. I mainly just strapped them so they were not loose. You'll know if it needs more (or less)

I have three colors and I actually did each string separately. That way when I have to replace one, I just remove the the offending string. It uses more ties, but I find it easier for troubleshooting. If a string goes out, just cut the ties and and place the new on. In the 5 minute deal I did in an earlier post, I did not remove the old string.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than a new thread, I've got a question about the floral easels that I bought from Hobby Lobby. They are painted green, has anyone that's used these had issues with them rusting? Don't want to wrap all these lights then have the trees start to rust after a week.

Would it be better to paint these again with some rustoleum? Any experience with these?

Rather than a new thread, I've got a question about the floral easels that I bought from Hobby Lobby. They are painted green, has anyone that's used these had issues with them rusting? Don't want to wrap all these lights then have the trees start to rust after a week.

Would it be better to paint these again with some rustoleum? Any experience with these?

See the pics in post 24, those are floral easels. 24" of snow this season, no rust. They work great as is, bought mine at Michael's and at garage sales. They are made to go outside, usually for wreaths around memorial day.

See the pics in post 24, those are floral easels. 24" of snow this season, no rust. They work great as is, bought mine at Michael's and at garage sales. They are made to go outside, usually for wreaths around memorial day.

Good to know!! Didn't want to spend more $$ on these things priming and repainting. Gonna wrap em' as is...

Thanks!

• 3 months later...